About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 10:15 AM   #1651
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

@crackajack

It was hard for me to get into Okami too. I have always meant to go back and finish it, but haven't.

@Zanbatou

Final Fantasy 12 is one of my favorites in the series also. It is one of most mature FF games.

I'd rather have a FF game about politics than another teenage soap opera.

I finished Halo 3 for the second time last week. Two years later and the campaign still sucks.
I popped it in just to mess around a little bit. Shortly later I realized the game was almost over. It took maybe three sittings to beat.

Last edited by abfackeln; 02-04-2010 at 02:42 PM.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #1652
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I also beat Super Mario Bros Wii. I really enjoyed it, and listed it as my favorite in the series (among the sidescrollers only). And while that's still true, I would like to say that I'm pissed off at how much it cost. There simply hasn't been enough evolution in the last 15 years to warrant buying a new full priced Mario game. And I'm still upset that I "needed" to buy a wii at all. So far I've not played anything on the wii that couldn't have been implemented just as well on the gamecube. Those motion controls are a joke.

I also finished my third replay of System Shock 2. That game is a masterpiece. This time I played through mostly as an engineer, with a heavy focus on weapons and hacking. I assumed that would make the game feel much more like a traditional FPS, but it really didn't. The game still felt special.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #1653
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

Quote:
Originally Posted by abfackeln View Post
Final Fantasy 12 is one of my favorites in the series also. It is one of most mature FF games.

I'd rather have a FF game about politics than another teenage soap opera. It took maybe three sittings to beat.
Agreed. I was very glad that the story was more grounded than the previous games. I thought the story was a bit dull and cliched, and I wish the writers had tried harder there... but I still prefer the easy and safe storytelling of Final Fantasy 12 to the nonsensical soap operas of the previous games.

And even though there was nothing special about the game's story, the world in which that story took place was very interesting, and very well put together. I had more fun just exploring the world than I did advancing the game's official "plot".

And you beat it in three sittings!? It took me months. I clocked in just under 150 hours and all my characters were still under level 45. This game is huge!

Last edited by Zanbatou; 02-03-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:38 AM   #1654
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by abfackeln View Post
It was hard for me to get into Okami too. I have always meant to go back and finish it, but haven't.
It was definitely worth the time, but it was similar as with Jade Empire for me: i just couldn't stick to that game from start to end. Although I really like such asian themes. It wanted a little too much to be good, to deliver much content for the money.
Okami consisted somehow of 3 1/2 chapters. Every time i beat one "final" boss it just continued with the rise of another threat. At least the second "ending" should have ended it for real. It felt a little like in movies when the already shot villain rises mysteriously again just for the sake of another cool scene for the hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbatou View Post
So far I've not played anything on the wii that couldn't have been implemented just as well on the gamecube. Those motion controls are a joke.
True. The pointer is perfect for shooters and adventures, but those waggle-"buttons" don't live up to the original intention.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:39 PM   #1655
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Quote:

And you beat it in three sittings!? It took me months. I clocked in just under 150 hours and all my characters were still under level 45. This game is huge!
I think you miss understood me. I switch the subject to Halo 3. FF XIII in 3 sittings would have been crazy.

EDIT: Ooops, I see. I must have stopped typing and when I started again I typed in the wrong area.

Quote:
I also beat Super Mario Bros Wii. I really enjoyed it, and listed it as my favorite in the series (among the sidescrollers only). And while that's still true, I would like to say that I'm pissed off at how much it cost.
I thought the same thing as I left Best Buy.

Did I just spend $50 on a side-scrolling Mario game? A game I could essentially buy for $5 on the virtual console.

It was a great game though. Some of the best level designs in a platformer. I need to read the review now up on GameCritics.com so that I can counter some of the comments.

Last edited by abfackeln; 02-04-2010 at 02:45 PM.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:36 AM   #1656
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Just finished Mass Effect 2. The boss at the end got killed by my last bullet from the sniper rifle while almost dying myself... almost too much cliché

What those kid's call suicide mission these days... no problem for incredibly awesome Shepard who eats shrapnel and sh!ts bullets

After initial liking and some frustration mid-game (mainly due to the incredibly stupid resource gathering minigame, who thought THAT would be a good idea?), it becomes a great game at the end. I'm now really curious about ME3...

...now back to Batman...
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #1657
Kin Korn Karn

For the record, I am not able to handle a Hardcore playthrough of ME2. Veteran was even giving me difficulty. Looks like an Insanity run is never going to happen for me.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:21 AM   #1658
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Struggled through Prince of Persia.
Why did they even bother including a douche bag adventurer instead of just let me play Elika, make a Princess of Persia game? Especially because of the somehow interesting somehow awkward ending i wished a whole different story or a much more polished version of this one.
It was no bad game but it lacked the brilliancy the former Prince games had to offer.
ALL battles were similar boring because they had almost equal fight mechanics. Every boss, every of the very few enemies in the levels. The emphasis lay on defending. Without correct timing of blocking a battle could last forever because the bosses regenerated if Elika had to intervene, rescue the "hero". I don't believe a casual gamer would be happy about that, at least it frustrated me sometimes when the almost beaten boss got half (!) of his energy back just because i didn't react timely on the QTE. You could not die, but it could take forever. Another stupid point with those qtes: It was the first game i played so far that displayed just the color of the controller button. What's wrong with good old X or A? At the end of the game i got a little used to it, but in my old days it was hard to learn.^^
So, block and push forward, react to the counterattack... blabla. The combosystem was there, from start, but you learned nothing new, i did three combos from start to end in every fight. It didn't matter which enemy was in front of me, all could be coped with the same.
There were 4 areas to free from corruption in the beginning, after those were clear every branch got again 4 areas to free, with a boss level at the end. You could choose freely which to go first, but this open-world was ridiculous, because it didn't give anything to the game, it even destroyed the maybe otherwise bearable storytelling. Elika was happy and in the next dialogue scene sad. Same with the prince: one i'm the coolest person in the world saying and in the next sentence a philosophical statement about the risks of the current threat. omg, they can't be serious? Why put the levels not in an order, make a good arc for every of the four bosses and themes? And so get dialogues between the duo that make sense. No, you can choose the path, choose between 4 almost identical gameplay areas and 4 almost identical world designs.
Coming to the wall runs: they were ok, but they were like on rails. You just had to push the correct button and you proceeded. No real need to check the way before starting to run, it gave it a little speed but it was boring, i sometimes fell only because i lost concentration, due to have to press so few buttons. And if i fell Elika rescued me and i had to do the whole sequence again instead of just the last jump, like in the Sands games. That didn't enhance my concentration, because every sequence you know by heart after the first time.
The graphics were nice, but Okami had a far better art style. Even the climax scenes with the healing of the areas did look better in that non-hd game.
As said, it was no bad game, but it had nothing to offer that other games weren't much better at. It felt like a prototype of the better Sands games. A project that was skipped for better mechanics and now revitalized for some stupid reason? Oriental Sands of Time was better, Metal-Warrior Within had fun free flow fighting, even the somewhat uninspired Two Thrones was better and the art-similar Okami did that better.
Why develop a game that is worse than its predecessors and copy other older games in a worse manner?
I can't even say that i am disappointed, but i really hoped that the more euphoric reviews would be true.
Fun thing about my PC-version: even if i wanted to buy the necessary DLC to see the end of the story, i could not. Thanks!

Edit:
Finished playing... err... watching the epilogue on youtube now.
WTF!
It's called epilogue and even then the story does not finish proper? I skipped most gameplay scenes because... i can't believe it... they really recycled just the bosses the game already used? The bosses that i found already boring in the main game? I can accept reusing within Okami where i liked them, but those of PoP were bad, no Shadow of Colossus or God of War epicness... just yuck! With a lame explanation... Ahriman can't do others as long he is weak and only can create familiar types. OMG! Please remove that line.

I don't rrreeaally regret buying the main game, because it wanted to be different and i can appreciate that, but doing an addon that's bullshit, makes the open end even worse, just uses recycled material is beyond me.

Last edited by crackajack; 02-08-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:08 AM   #1659
Zolos
New Poster

Finished Persona 3 finally. It took me practically 2 months to do it. I estimate around 105 to 110 hours including the times i lost with the time not recorded. It's a new personal record on a story driven single player game.

What can i say. Had i stopped playing at 15hours or even 30hours i would have a very different opinion for this game. It could easily have been a phenomenal game in my book if it had been more friendly and of a shorter lenght. The length especially exarcebated some of the issues i had with it.

It is a remarkable game. Someday i am planning on playing P4.

But not soon. Now i want something really short and with HD graphics!!!!
Zolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:51 AM   #1660
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Just came back from a weekend tour in MadWorld.
Logged play time was only 3 1/4 hours! Hardly more than a movie! But if i'm correct they didn't count the time in menu, loading times and cutscenes, so maybe it was 4 hours including them. The cutscenes were long, surprisingly. And adding my 3 retries, it was about 4 3/4 hours. Still not much, but considering the very low prize i had to pay, it was ok. 50 or 60€ or everything above 10 would have felt like a rip off, but as i enjoyed the game more than i expected i was satisfied with the run length.
The unlockable harder difficulty would be an extreme challenge, i would guess it would take about 20hours to finish because it seemed very tough as i tried it one minute and died in the first wave of enemies...
I bought it mainly just for the sake of supporting HC-games on the wii and even more because the art style looked interesting and i wanted to support that.
Visuals were good, the style worked very well throughout the game, didn't get boring, though full screen didn't work (had black borders on the left, top and bottom) and the white of black&white looked very grey/yellow and made it a little stressful to look on the screen. I think "hard" white would have been a more pleasant contrast. But since the gameplay itself didn't encourage playing more than one level at a time i could live with that.
As said i had to retry thrice. Two times because i died, i.e. used both retries that are provided for each level and the third time because the console hung. The last game on a Nintendo console i witnessed such an incidence was Mario Kart 64... One massive slowdown did also happen but most of the time it ran smoothly. Last thing concerning technicals: Lettering was small, so reading the texts from average couch distance is hard.
As a "normal" European i dont' often listen to Hip-Hop and i don't know what real (or true?), american Hip-Hop fans say to it but the music was for me great. It gave the game an otherwise missing flow or swing and a cynical, satirical tone, emphasized by two hilarious commentators (loved the credits!). The goal of each level was to reach a certain point level and that was for sure repetitive- especially if i died (at the level boss) and had to do all again. Hacking through the enemies separated by bloodbath challenges that were somewhat more gruesome and brutal but a welcome change with another dose of that nonsense tone. Due to the "simple" style the bloody visuals were not as shocking as in realistic games and it all fitted well into this MadWorld. At the end a boss battle had to be tackled. Vampire, Werewolf, Frankenstein, Samurai... although the "tactics" were often similar they were staged well.
The bike levels were fun, most of all because the visuals looked the best when the black and white rushed on the screen. I think it would have been better if the game would have linear instead of the open though very limited arenas. The style fit not perfectly for battle arenas and exploring those, running through a tube would have been better.
The at the beginning puzzling story with its distinctive main character was told in excessive cutscenes and had something to tell. They did it not 100 percent seriously, that would have missed the point of the rest of the game, but it made sense in its own world and i was very surprised to be interested in its outcome. The atmosphere was better than expected but that the story also had some value fpr the game astonished me.
Marketing of the game was wrong?
After wii sports it was the first wii game for me that took good advantage of the motion controls just because the somewhat empty gameplay got something i could settle in. The power struggles demanded a lot of shaking and it delivered a certain pressure i wanted to withstand.

I would not recommend it to players that ask for the top notch games of the system, just for the ones that are in search for different experiences.
I would say it's similar to the quality of Disaster: Day of Crisis.

Last edited by crackajack; 02-15-2010 at 05:54 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:44 AM   #1661
crackajack
32-bit Poster

My first impressions of Bayonetta were that it was not my genre and that stayed the same throughout the game- i am just bad at Beat em Ups and so also with Bayonetta- but it was able to change a bit some of my other opinions.

The visuals and style improved with some more imaginative scenes at the end though the surroundings itself remained somewhat empty... Rodin's bar had "charisma" but everything else just looked boring. Were did i actually fight? I can't remember anything at all. Sure the fight gameplay is the core of the game and so the characters and animations have to look the best and the rest was just a place to battle, but despite i fought on some "weird "places"" it had nothing memorable.
Especially the likable facial expressions of Bayonetta surprised me a bit, just neat. The cutscenes were entertaining because of that and the "chaotic" direction.
The camera was a pain. I had problems seeing my own character. Particularly at the fights with Jeanne it was hard to know were my heroine ended, the clash effect was placed and Jeanne began...^^ The cam should have been placed nearer- and the enemies designed smaller to fit them on screen.
Coming to the enemies: There were some figures i met already in Okami. Not bad but as i didn't find e.g. a wheel an interesting opponent at first meeting, this time i just had to wonder if it really had to be again those. (also the effects when running as a panther reminded me of something...)
As i mentioned, i suck at beat em ups; the button mashing thing, that shouldn't be button mashing. I always miss the Zelda formula: Learn a move, use it a while and then learn another. Beat em ups just give everything from start and the result is i learn no move at all. Ok, Bayonetta adds, while playing, some other techniques but i just bought them and never used them because i lacked the basics. Especially because Bayonetta had lost her memories that would have been easily implemented. She fights against enemy John Angel and after that, or while fighting, she remembers this or that strike. Just looking at the combo list and having no linear training is nothing i can manage well.
QTEs were stupid and some of later (shooting) levels also. The whole end was an up and down. I liked this, hated that, loved the next... bizarre. At the end i want prime fun no roller coaster ride.
Versatile music was good, but i had hoped for more craziness.
The story remained too serious while many things were meant funny and intentional inappropriate. Similar problem as i had with the Inglourious Basterds movie; the two tones didn't harmonize for me.
Bayonetta was an interesting character, a mishmash of a male macho, japanese Anime/Hentai themes and some female cliches. I don't know if women can sympathize with that caricature figure but i liked her more than Lara Croft. (though i never played any Tomb Raider game)

If Bayonetta is the best the genre can offer, that is how i understand reviews, i definitely will stay away from Dante&Co.
Started God of War this week, that is more the type of hack and slay i can enjoy and master. Nevertheless Bayonetta hooked me a bit, so i will start hard difficulty and hope for some mysterious improvement of my skills. I enjoyed MadWorld quite a lot but Bayonetta, gives much more value, depth and motivation to master it.

Last edited by crackajack; 02-19-2010 at 04:53 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:25 AM   #1662
Kin Korn Karn

Check off Bioshock 2. Not as good as the first as you just cannot recapture the feeling of running through Rapture that first time. Not a fan of multiplayer. Boo on MP achievements. Overall, good game. Doing a quick replay to capture some of the achievements that I missed the first time.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #1663
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

finished Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes on DS.

Best DS game I've played in a LONG time.

Review's forthcoming.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:47 PM   #1664
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gallaway View Post
finished Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes on DS.

Best DS game I've played in a LONG time.

Review's forthcoming.
Wow, that's a teaser Will it make me want to actually play my DS? Looking forward to the review.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:37 AM   #1665
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Just finished Dead Space: Extraction (Wii).

Surprisingly, it was as good as most people said... Enjoyed it more than the original Dead Space, even. Better story, better characters, and better length. (i.e.- SHORTER.)

Big thumbs up.