About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 05:46 AM   #1621
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Spider Solitaire

Hell yeah!
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:32 PM   #1622
Kin Korn Karn

Completed Uncharted 1. Picked it up new bundled with a PS3 controller at Gamestop for about $60. Not a bad deal I suppose.

Fun game, save for a few minor complaints (up the river was no fun, and final boss was a bit lame).

Glad I beat it, now I think I'll enjoy UC2 a bit more.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:43 PM   #1623
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Finished the Trials HD DLC - Big Pack. All Med/Hard/Extreme tracks are down. It was aggravating in spots, but nowhere near the ultra-pisser that the original Extremes were.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:38 AM   #1624
Dramund
Dancing Chicken

Found Modern Warfare 2 for PS3 on sale for $40 at Target last night so I picked it up and beat the single player campaign on the same night. What a messy campaign.
Dramund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #1625
ckzatwork
16-bit Poster

Finished Dragon Age and Fatale. Pleasantly surprised by the overall quality of DA. Fatale has the potential to find its place in a contemporary art museum. It made me read Wilde's Salome. How often do games make you read a play?
ckzatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #1626
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Finished Crimson Room Reverse on PSP. Interesting/infuriating/unique/terrible. Review forthcoming.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #1627
gamevet

Finished God of War (updated PS3 version) after spending about 9.5 hours playing. I still have the game on the PS2, but never got around to finishing it.

The added trophies provided a little incentive to finally complete the game.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:01 AM   #1628
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Batman: Arkham Asylum
Finally a PC-Game (multiplatformgame) that takes most of the Metroid Prime Formula and puts it in another universe, and that works perfectly within the Batman franchise. (This was the thing i hoped of Bioshock. But that turned out to be a straight forward shooter.)
The air ducts felt a little unplausible without the morphball puzzles and the Batman character and his sayings with overboarding coolness is unbearable compared to the more vulnerable, human Batmans in the Burton or Nolan movies.
But the gameplay worked fine. Linear progress with coming back as soon you get new gadgets, some exploring (though a little too much with the detective mode) interesting story and characters, ok bossfights, that were a little uninspired and uniform. German voice acting was good, not as good as Tim Schafers title localizations but above average, english is overall better, though i liked Harlekin in german more.
One of very few games i will finish twice. Directly started a second run on easy after finishing on hard. To play it in english but mainly because i really liked the fun gameplay and pacing of all.
The challenges are superb to extend time you can spent with it. I had no idea of them, just expected a rather short single player camapaign but these are thoroughly challenging while the game itself is more casual. Hunter felt easier to finish perfect, at fighting challenges i'm missing approximately ~5k points at three rounds. As long i see some room for improvement i will try to beat that too. If not, almost 1000 gamerscore is alright.

The PhysX-effects on the PC occasionally let the computer crash. They are nice but nothing that is greatly improving the experience. Without them (mainly it was just some fog effects) the graphics still look good, with very short loading times.
Music also was very well done, though not as concise and recognizable as in Metroid.

Very much looking forward to Batman: AA2.
The two new characters (;-))and the return of the sligthly mad people.

It lets me think of the direction Nintendo wanted to go with Metroid. Batman has some shooting with its Baterang and Claw and lots of fighting and other M looked like that was its future.

Kane&Lynch Coop
Finished after starting a year or so ago. The halved view on one screen is not perfect and some missions don't really provide a "real" coop-experience (especially at the airfield where Lynch couldn't do much) but it was fun and running more smoothly than trying to use the team orders alone.

GfW-Live don't runs properly at this game. Zero! gamerscore after finishing solo because the service itself didn't update to latest version or so, only got every second achievement i should have gotten after finishing coop now.
Batman worked much better, even offline i got one achievement which was synchronised after reconnection.

New Super Mario Bros (DS)
The gameplay feels too much like stuck in the 80s and even there i didn't really like this platforming. Dumb saving system and annoying time pressure finished it for me. Are such games (DS PSP) not intented for quick fun in short pauses or so?
Stopped at world 3, so almost at the beginning.

New Super Mario Bros wii
Didn't play it myself just watched my brother and a friend play it in coop. If you like NSMB DS it looked fun, but the coop thing was plain stupid. It was no working together just interfering one another. Was it intented to be a vs-coop? It looked a lot like two people playing different games that were mysteriously overlapping sometimes...
The coop concept of LBP was by no means perfect, if the other player did decide to just run through the level ... but at least it got some level parts that were designed to encourage some real coop play.

Last edited by crackajack; 01-07-2010 at 04:03 AM.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #1629
joetbd
32-bit Poster

Finished Shadow Complex.

Got 100% of the item pick ups.

I am now ranked #84000 on the online leaderboard
joetbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #1630
ckzatwork
16-bit Poster

Finished my Slient Hill replay and got the Bad + ending. Next replay, The Dig.
ckzatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #1631
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Finished the "story" portion of Super Mario Galaxy the other day. I unlocked the last level two years ago, but I wanted to finish more levels before completing the story. Needless to say I didn't complete either.

The last level was surprisingly easy. Some of the regular levels were more challenging.

The story is so ridiculous that it is not even worth having.

I plan on really completing SMG my getting all of the stars.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:42 AM   #1632
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Finished the campaign mode of Guitar Hero - on Tour: Decades (I just imagine how this title could get even longer...)

I wasn't paying much attention to the whole rock band/guitar hero stuff so far and this is the first game of this kind I played all the way through. It is fun for a while but after some time the limitations of the DS as a platform for a game like this come to surface. For example not enough space for more than 28 songs, sometimes weird handling of the guitar controller (leading to cramps after some playing) and problems with immersion due to the layout. On normal consoles there's at least the plastic guitar where you can close your eyes and pretend being on a stage, that's really hard on the DS

Since I'm playing the bass guitar myself I was also curious how the bass plays out in this game. It's pretty ok overall (considering aforementioned limitiations of the platform). But some songs were really weird to play. The bassline of Sweet Home Alabama for example didn't feel at all like the song I used to play back in the days with my band. Which made tracks like that less of a rockstar-experience and more like a test of my reflexes.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #1633
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
The bassline of Sweet Home Alabama for example didn't feel at all like the song I used to play back in the days with my band.
Austrians play Sweat Home Alabama?
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #1634
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by abfackeln View Post
We had 2 Canadians (lead guitar and the singer) and they LOVED this song and wanted to play it all the time... almost as often as cotton fields... and some really obscure Country songs whose names I can't remember anymore but learned to play thanks to them
Old 01-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #1635
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Finished my second run with Batman AA and also completed the last challenges:
Perfect Knight. Hooray! er... I'm Batman, fear me!

This time i didn't bother searching for hidden passages and getting every Riddler puzzle solved (only what was on my way), so had outright fun chasing Joker and roughing up his henchmen.
I sometimes start second runs but it happens not often that i actually finish them + tackling challenges properly. The one DLC i also played a while, since there is coming a sequel the chances are low to get others, but either way i want it. It was definitly worth the money.
I hope that the sucessor will feature a little more open, larger arenas so hunting is not so restricted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abfackeln View Post
not everyone wants Mozart 24-7.

trivia:
The Kid Rock cover All summer long was here a No1-hit before it even entered the charts in the usa.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote