About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 02-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #1486
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Finished Star Wars: the Force Unleashed on 360 a bit ago... way too many snipers/shooters that lead you into gangrape scenarios where your character gets bounced back and forth, but outside of that it was pretty cool.

the story and characters were much better than i was expecting, and the force powers were pretty sweet. level design was outstanding, as well... some really beautiful scenery there.

a pretty good game (make it "awesome" if you're a real SW fan) with a few problems. play it on Easy and save yourself the stress.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:18 AM   #1487
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Finished Tomb Raider: Underworld this morning… absolutely underwhelmed.

I was blown away by the beauty of the demo featuring the Thailand level, and in truth, that level is pretty impressive. However, it's actually the best level in the game, so everything is downhill from there.

I keep hearing Eidos saying that they're going to retool the game to make it "friendlier" to female gamers, but Lara’s rack size has nothing to do why people stay away from this title. It's like they took out everything that was good about TR: Legend and made something that stays absolutely flat from start to finish.

Level design (a key point to this series) is pretty terrible… practically every level is designed in such a way so as to make it impossible to tell if you're heading in the right direction, and if you somehow stray from the path the developers put you on, it's a lot of unnecessary leg work to get back on track.

I loved Legend, but Underworld is a total error.

The only cool part of the entire game: earning Thor’s hammer and finding out that it can be used as a weapon, and there is no limitation to its use. That was pretty bad-ass. The rest? Not so much.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:47 AM   #1488
Mike Doolittle
Telling people how it is

Send a message via AIM to Mike Doolittle

Finished F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin.

Basically, if you're a fan of the original (it was one of my favorites), you can't go wrong here. Everything about it is better. I don't know that you can really even call it a sequel though... it's more of an alternate storyline.

In terms of suspense and horror, it's much better done than the first game. Granted the spookiness wears off a bit over the course of the game, but there are some well done horror elements in the game and some really tense moments.

There are a couple of spots where I thought the difficulty escalated a little cheaply, but otherwise it's a worthy sequel. The environments are nicely varied this time around, and they didn't overdo the mech-suit sequences — which actually turned out to be pretty cool. AI is solid and the mechanics are tight as ever. The narrative is very well done and the ending is a surprise. It's a much more thought-provoking storyline than the first. Alma is never quite what we think she is.

My MySpace Page
My Gaming PC Blog
Mike Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:25 AM   #1489
videochilex
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doolittle View Post
Finished F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin.

Basically, if you're a fan of the original (it was one of my favorites), you can't go wrong here. Everything about it is better. I don't know that you can really even call it a sequel though... it's more of an alternate storyline.

In terms of suspense and horror, it's much better done than the first game. Granted the spookiness wears off a bit over the course of the game, but there are some well done horror elements in the game and some really tense moments.

There are a couple of spots where I thought the difficulty escalated a little cheaply, but otherwise it's a worthy sequel. The environments are nicely varied this time around, and they didn't overdo the mech-suit sequences — which actually turned out to be pretty cool. AI is solid and the mechanics are tight as ever. The narrative is very well done and the ending is a surprise. It's a much more thought-provoking storyline than the first. Alma is never quite what we think she is.
I just finally finished playing cod 4 on the pc...and that is one of the best games ive played recently. Just plain old fun...

Which kinda affected my take during playing the fear 2 demo.

Visually the effects are neat....but something about the gunfire didnt really "click" with me the way cod did. I finally realised what it was today. The physics of shooting an enemy isnt the same. It feels like we're just shooting at nothingness...whereas in cod 4, you just feel each time an enemy gets hit. (although id like them to change the splash area of a grenade which doesnt always make a difference unless you land it below someones feet)
videochilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #1490
Mike Doolittle
Telling people how it is

Send a message via AIM to Mike Doolittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by videochilex View Post
The physics of shooting an enemy isnt the same. It feels like we're just shooting at nothingness...whereas in cod 4, you just feel each time an enemy gets hit. (although id like them to change the splash area of a grenade which doesnt always make a difference unless you land it below someones feet)
That's interesting. I do think that "tactile" quality to the action is the most important element in a shooter. For me, Crysis holds the all-time title. I actually prefer FEAR 2 over COD4 though. It always annoyed me that in COD, you can plug someone in the head and they'll fall down, only to get back up a few moments later. In FEAR, most of the enemies are heavily armored so you've gotta lay into them. But they really react to the hits in a way that's satisfying to me, especially when they get decapitated with a sniper rifle.

My MySpace Page
My Gaming PC Blog
Mike Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #1491
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

finished God Hand last night. it's got tons of issues, but it'll definitely appeal to that certain sort of gamer.

if nothing else, the cutscenes and characters did get me to laugh.

my thumb's really sore right now, though.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:38 PM   #1492
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Finished Lit on WiiWare and Flower on PSN.

Review for Lit is forthcoming, but it was basically interesting and unique, tho somewhat flawed. On a side note, I have to say, I don't really like WayForward's approach to their players... They seem to have a bit of a haughty attitude from what I gather from the game itself as well as some comments I read.

Flower was quite beautiful and a very interesting experience. Still digesting it, but it makes perfect sense to me that it's not a game for non-gamers. the current buzz seems to agree.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:17 AM   #1493
videochilex
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doolittle View Post
That's interesting. I do think that "tactile" quality to the action is the most important element in a shooter. For me, Crysis holds the all-time title. I actually prefer FEAR 2 over COD4 though. It always annoyed me that in COD, you can plug someone in the head and they'll fall down, only to get back up a few moments later. In FEAR, most of the enemies are heavily armored so you've gotta lay into them. But they really react to the hits in a way that's satisfying to me, especially when they get decapitated with a sniper rifle.
Im giving it a chance now. Slowly getting back into it...after that ill be firing up company of heroes

On a side note..i installed the new 285 driver and got 14500 score in vantage! yayy hehe Planning to try my first overclocks this week. Should be interesting..
Old 02-22-2009, 04:17 PM   #1494
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Just finished World of Goo. Excellent game that at times was frustratingly hard, but for all the right reasons. A few minor gripes with visuals in a couple levels and I thought some of the specialized goo balls were underused, but overall a big thumbs up from me.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #1495
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Just finished Manhunt (PS2) for the first time. Started it and didn't get far before due to the crappy controls/camera, but I powered through this time.

i wasn't sure if it would still have the same impact, but it remained shockingly goretastic in some spots, and the overall tone was utterly brutal, in a good way.

i enjoyed it, but damn.. the camera needed HELLA work, the controls were frustratingly obtuse, and it's about twice as long (20hrs) as it should be. still, quite a dark, wild ride.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:28 AM   #1496
videochilex
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gallaway View Post
Just finished Manhunt (PS2) for the first time. Started it and didn't get far before due to the crappy controls/camera, but I powered through this time.

i wasn't sure if it would still have the same impact, but it remained shockingly goretastic in some spots, and the overall tone was utterly brutal, in a good way.

i enjoyed it, but damn.. the camera needed HELLA work, the controls were frustratingly obtuse, and it's about twice as long (20hrs) as it should be. still, quite a dark, wild ride.
I loved that game! One of my all time favs beside freedom fighters. You should try manhunt 2 (but get the gore fix so you get the uncensored version)
Old 02-23-2009, 02:33 PM   #1497
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

What version do you recommend? And what's the gore fix?
Old 02-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #1498
videochilex
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gallaway View Post
What version do you recommend? And what's the gore fix?
I played the psp version only. There is a patch you download in order to remove the "blur" that the developers were forced to put on to cover the gore. Oh and i played it with earphones...just helped add to the eeryness.

Thats not to say there werent control/camera issues. But overall i still enjoyed it Interesting story / twists I wotn ruin it for you incase you play it.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:44 PM   #1499
Epic Juicebox
Noisy?

Rep Power: 13 Epic Juicebox is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Epic Juicebox

I finished the latest Prince of Persia iteration a couple nights ago, and I'm not entirely sure how to feel about it. It wasn't the longest of games, but I was able to stretch it out for what felt like a pretty good while. Yet somehow, I feel like I just finished playing a demo. Not the most fulfilling of experiences (especially considering the strangely compelling ending sequence). I liked the parkour style gameplay, but really all it did was make me wish I was playing Assassin's Creed 2 - the Altair costume I downloaded didn't help, either! Haha! Not a bad game, though - in spite of my complaining. The visuals were great, what little combat there was kept me looking forward to the next fight nearly all the way up until the end, and I'd always long during the quiet parts of the game for the beautifully orchestrated score to kick back in. All in all, I'm happy to have it on my shelf!

Next, I think I'll download Portal: Still Alive and see what all the hype is about. That's one I've always felt I was missing out on!

Now Playing: Persona (PSP) - Scribblenauts (DS) - Assassin's Creed II (X360)

Check out my entire collection at IGN!
Epic Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #1500
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Just finished a game of House of the Dead Overkill on the Wii. Don't have a gun adapter of any kind for my Wiimote but still found the game to be a blast. Nothing's really changed from the previous games in the series, but I would say the grindhouse movie style puts this towards the top of the short pile. I do have some issues with the game, but that's all I will say for now, as I am contemplating posting a review sometime within the week.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote