About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 05-28-2004, 11:50 AM   #136
Reharl

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Speaking of Morrowind, I've finished the Tribunal expansion in the GOTY edition. The story was interesting and the city was certainly a lot more enticing than the ones in Morrowind, but some of the levels and quests were a bore. The sewer levels in particular were simply horrifying.

Havblue, have you found the Boots of Blinding Speed? They give you a _constant_ boost of 200 speed, well enough to cross the entire island of Vvanderfel in five minutes or so. And they make the rest of the game quite easy, too.

On a sidenote, I finished Way of the Samurai 2 for the fourth time and got me another ending. I now have endings 1, 2 and 12, and I'm collecting some nice swords. Once I accumulate enough money, I'll slowly begin to buy movement scrolls and tempering my blade in order to be able to hold my ground in the harder difficulty modes. So far, I think this is a great game, but I liked thar first one better, and I still think it's the best of the two.
Reharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 12:38 PM   #137
Havblue
Hat Town Resident

Stronghold Tip: You can never get too much ambient blue light!

I was considering playing Tribunal since given its title, it would hopefully put a few more faces to the names of the gods you keep reading about. Assuming he looks different from Vivec, I'd like to take a look at Mephala after being his toady in the Morag Tong for starters. Relatively speaking though, Bloodmoon's quests seem to be a big step up from the main story, and I haven't heard this as much about Tribunal. I really think I should handle the more popular and less claustrophobic expansion first and consider heading to Mournhold later.

As for the boots, I might get them later at some point but for now, the ability to walk really fast in a straight line doesn't seem as fun as catapulting yourself into the air repeatedly. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Havblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 01:33 PM   #138
Reharl

Re: Stronghold Tip: You can never get too much ambient blue light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havblue
As for the boots, I might get them later at some point but for now, the ability to walk really fast in a straight line doesn't seem as fun as catapulting yourself into the air repeatedly. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Ok, now I'm curious. Care to share the recipe for that magical ring?
Reharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 04:51 PM   #139
Havblue
Hat Town Resident

Jump 39 points on self for 1 second. It is important to toggle the second bar during the enchantment. If you don't do this, jump will only be activated for a split second rather than a full second.

Your milage may vary depending on how encumbered you are and your acrobatics skill. I can easily (and very quickly) make it from the upper floor of one canton to another in Vivec. You will probably take ~10pts of damage on a level jump as well, but if you jump to higher ground this is practically a nonissue.

Let me know what you think of your ring.
Havblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 06:10 PM   #140
Tim Spaeth
Ready to Believe You

I finished Culdcept just moments ago. The final battle was an epic 2.5 hour duel that came down to an incredibly fortunate roll on my part. It was tense all the way, and an absolute blast.

I still haven't acquired roughly half the cards, but it looks like I can keep playing with that character indefinitely. I only have five medals, and only half the artwork/cutscenes. After a break (more SWG) then I'll be back hitting the Culdcept hard.
Tim Spaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 10:50 AM   #141
stratu
Golden Bug Collector

I just finished ICO fifteen minutes ago.

Firstly, I want to say how much Brad's review inspired me to get this game - and I got it, months before I finally bought a PS2.

From my limited time as a "gamer" (a jump from the old Atari 2600 days to the current generation - missing pretty much everything in between) I've realised that my type of games are adventure games, and those with strong emotional elements. From The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker, to Beyond Good and Evil, to Final Fantasy X and now to Ico - these are the games I have loved and have played to completion.

Ico has a unique emotional element in the crucial attachment you have with Yorda, the strange, ghostly girl you must help out of the castle. I found myself so caught up with this quest, the boundary between reality and the game was quite obliterated - I had to help this fragile, enchanting girl, and couldn't imagine giving up the game until I had succeeded in this.

This makes me think of trying to explain this to non-gamers (most of the people I know) and how it would sound to them. How do you express the feelings a game like this creates in you? (No wonder these forums are so important - it's really a support group for people who understand these things.)

Anyway, thanks so much for your review Brad - if it wasn't for your writing I may not have played this wonderful game.
stratu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 11:13 AM   #142
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratu

Anyway, thanks so much for your review Brad - if it wasn't for your writing I may not have played this wonderful game.
I totally agree. The review of ICO here at GC influenced my purchase of ICO greatly. As did some of the other reviews for other games.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 01:49 PM   #143
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Korn Karn
I totally agree. The review of ICO here at GC influenced my purchase of ICO greatly. As did some of the other reviews for other games.
Ditto, just ditto.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 11:17 AM   #144
Dezlen
Luck be a lady

Beat Crimson Skies the other day. Fun game, and even better multiplayer (especially on Xbox Live).

On to Viewtful Joe. This game is gorgeous.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:32 PM   #145
jwe8k
Severed Jedi hand

Just beat Thief 2 finally. I've had the game since it came out and never beat it. Going out and getting Thief 3 and telling myself I wouldn't play it until 2 was over with made me get to work on it.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:43 AM   #146
Tim Spaeth
Ready to Believe You

Well, it's a stretch, but I did see the credits of Mario vs. Donkey Kong last night. Sure, I only graduated to the "plus" levels, but I'm one of those guys that equates credits with beating a game.

The plus levels are WAY more fun and interesting than the levels that preceded them. Well worth the effort!
Old 06-10-2004, 10:48 AM   #147
jwe8k
Severed Jedi hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelT
Well, it's a stretch, but I did see the credits of Mario vs. Donkey Kong last night. Sure, I only graduated to the "plus" levels, but I'm one of those guys that equates credits with beating a game.

The plus levels are WAY more fun and interesting than the levels that preceded them. Well worth the effort!
In that case, I've beat MvDK too. But not really.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:52 AM   #148
stratu
Golden Bug Collector

I mainly wanted to bump this thread because I find it hard to believe that nobody around here has beaten a game in the past ten days...

But anyway, I did eventually beat the fifth and final area in Rez
stratu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 10:10 AM   #149
Nicato
Next-Gen Poster

Oh yeah. D'oh.

I beat Four Swords Adventures sometime last week and forgot to reply. Whats that, my fifth game so far?
Nicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 10:34 AM   #150
Tim Spaeth
Ready to Believe You

For those of you who were repulsed by my earlier claim of beating Mario vs. Donkey Kong after only the first six worlds (there are credits, yo!) rest easy! I have now beaten the Plus worlds and seen the real credits. Apologies for keeping you up at night.