About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 01-11-2015, 03:23 PM   #1
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Gaming Goals - 2015

I got inspiration for this from Zanbatou's "50 Games in 2014" and figured why don't we all post our gaming goals for the year. Can be big or small, easy or difficult, simple or outlandish - you choose.

I'll begin:

Gaming Goals - 2015
  1. Beat 12 games that I have yet to play
  2. Play one AAA title while it is still relevant
  3. Get 1000 GS in a single game
  4. Thin out my videogame collection

Will update as success (or failure) happens. So, what are your goals?
Old 01-12-2015, 03:05 AM   #2
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Re: Gaming Goals - 2015

Gaming Goals - 2015 and probably the next few years
  1. play fun and challenging games (in that order)
  2. look very skeptical on games were the dev has the priorities very differently, despises chillout gaming (yeah, i'm looking especially at Bloodborne)
  3. buy good games, even if i never play them
  4. don't look at the backlog as if everything has to played some day
  5. continue ignoring Kickstarter as long as it's just a fan(boy/girl) preorder system and no proper investment model
  6. avoid finishing tasks just because they were almost done in the original playthrough
finding the last 13 of 1000 collectibles or doing another 349 to get to 25000 rolls or whatever tasks are annoying when they come not naturally and i ever wonder why they put them in in the first place.

I probably will nevertheless fail at the last point, but the other goals are hardly impossible.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:14 AM   #3
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Woah, this is tough. Mostly because the goals I can think of right now, I don't know if I'm committed to them yet.

Let me have a quick go and when I think about it I may add/delete later:

Gaming Goals - 2015

1. Replay a classic game from the last few years to see if it holds up/is enjoyable. *
2. Play a roleplaying game and choose the opposite of my normal choices all the way through the game. **
3. Finish my Dark Souls Soul Level 1 run. ***
4. Get the second Platinum for Demon's Souls (US version).
5. Play more 'mid-tier' games, along the lines of Bound in Blood or Murdered Soul Suspect to see if they have interesting things to offer. These should be mostly games picked up in sales.

* Such as Fallout 3. I'm not going back to the mists of time to find old, old games. I'm thinking something along the lines of my replay of Red Dead Redemption a couple of years ago, which was very rewarding. This may not seem like an odd goal but I never replay games.
** This could also be Fallout 3, playing as an evil person. Or Beyond Two Souls, choosing the other choices (punish people at the party etc).
*** 3. and 4. are probably never going to happen. Both games are currently stuck on boss fights, and I'm finding it hard to motivate myself to start up the game and face a boss immediately. The SL1 run may actually be broken due to me doing things in the wrong order, but I have to beat two bosses in the next two rooms (Firesage and Scorpion) just to find out.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
5. Play more 'mid-tier' games, along the lines of Bound in Blood or Murdered Soul Suspect to see if they have interesting things to offer. These should be mostly games picked up in sales.
Update on this one - I picked up two likely candidates in the PS Sale, which were actually the two games named above.

I tried to like Bound in Blood, but it was pretty terrible. Combat was horrible (I believe it gets better later), but there was literally nothing else interesting in the game to keep me playing. Just an incredibly generic ARPG.

Murdered, Soul Suspect was worthwhile. It was a little dragged out at around 10 hours, but there was a lot in there that was really good - the story and acting were excellent. It had a great set up where you were a ghost in Salem, and interesting mechanics for your interactions with the physical world. I had actually meant to get the latest Sherlock Holmes game instead of this but it went off sale. Glad I played it though.

So far then, i have been both punished and rewarded, the score is 1-1.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:28 AM   #5
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

There are a number of big games that I've been meaning to play for years, but haven't because I know each will take a lot of effort to get into. It's a huge step down from last year's ambitions, but my goal this year is to finally play the following games:

Dark Souls
Civilization V
Deadly Premonition
Dragon Age
Thief 2 fan missions

I don't have to finish them, I just have to start them. Maybe get ten hours into each. And then momentum should take over, since I fully expect to love each of these games (except Deadly Premonition, which is still a big question mark).

Also, a friend and I have been theoretically working on a hobbyist game project for a good six years now (oof), and it still wouldn't be confused for an actual game. My main gaming goal this year is to finally make progress on that game. By the end of the year, I'm committed to making something that someone can actually play and have fun with, if only for an hour or so.

Last edited by Zanbatou; 01-19-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:16 AM   #6
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Some interesting ones mentioned so far:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
[*]Get 1000 GS in a single game
Have you decided on the game yet? Are you going to base your decision on how easy it is to get 1000GS, or something that will take multiple playthroughs? Or are you just going to play as normal and then go, wow, I've got 700 on this game already, I may as well see it through? You could put a fair amount of thought into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbatou View Post
(except Deadly Premonition, which is still a big question mark).
Outside of PC, you are on the 360, right? I would 100% recommend getting the old 360 version rather than the new Director's Cut, if possible.

It's rough around the edges, but believe me it's totally worth sticking with it.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:27 AM   #7
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

Quote:
Outside of PC, you are on the 360, right? I would 100% recommend getting the old 360 version rather than the new Director's Cut, if possible.
I have a PC and a PS3, actually. It looks like it's Directors Cut or nothing. I was going to play it on PS3 (bought it and everything), but now I'm reading about all sorts of performance issues there. I may switch to PC. (And hey! I bought it there too, apparently. Hooray for steam sales and poor impulse control.)
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:47 PM   #8
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Quote:
Have you decided on the game yet? Are you going to base your decision on how easy it is to get 1000GS, or something that will take multiple playthroughs? Or are you just going to play as normal and then go, wow, I've got 700 on this game already, I may as well see it through? You could put a fair amount of thought into this.
Haven't thought too hard about this one yet. More along the last one you mentioned - "hey, I have a high score, let's go for the gusto and finish it off". Also not sure if I will count just finishing a couple games that I am already close to completing the achievements. For instance, I am very close to 100% L.A. Noire, but the game has been that way for a year or so. Also, only need 20GS in Lego: Lord of the Rings. Seems like a fairly simple one to get the 1000, but not sure if that should count or not. We shall see.

Last edited by frogofdeath; 01-30-2015 at 11:03 PM.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:50 PM   #9
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbatou View Post
Also, a friend and I have been theoretically working on a hobbyist game project for a good six years now (oof), and it still wouldn't be confused for an actual game. My main gaming goal this year is to finally make progress on that game. By the end of the year, I'm committed to making something that someone can actually play and have fun with, if only for an hour or so.
Definitely keep us posted on your progress! While I'm not that talented, a friend of mine makes videogames for a living and I know it's no easy task - so best of luck!
Old 01-30-2015, 11:01 PM   #10
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Quote:
[*]Beat 12 games that I have yet to play
Alright, just finished a game. Counting it towards my 12 games in 2015 goal. Completed the 9 deadly descents in SSX (360) and am calling it "beat". Fun game with overall excellent level designs. I'm a sucker for snow based games, bonus for being snowboarding.

So, one month down and one game completed. Looking forward to Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons being the next GWG. Plan on starting my play through this Sunday.

Quote:
[*]Thin out my videogame collection
I've got my listings drafted. Just need to test the games. Hoping to sell numerous N64 games, including a handful of Japanese imports.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:16 PM   #11
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Quote:
  1. Beat 12 games that I have yet to play
Update: Have upped my completed list to 2 out of 12

Last night I beat Brothers: a Tale of Two Sons (360). Whoa, what a great game. Some quick thoughts on what I enjoyed:

1. Love the atmosphere and settings - excellent mix of fantasy that almost feels it could be real
2. Great aspects to the story and how the tale is open to interpretation
3. One major twist near the end that I really did not see coming
4. Being misty eyed at the end - only one game has ever made me feel sad, Brothers doubles this category

Highly recommended if anyone has yet to play this gem.

Oh yeah, one other thing: went ahead and completed the achievements for Brothers (400/400). Had earned most of them, just had to go back and get two. "Love Birds" was a nice little diversion.

This also brings my GS to 20002. Yay for numeric palindromes!

Last edited by frogofdeath; 02-03-2015 at 07:19 PM.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #12
Pedro
128-bit Poster

I thought Brothers was just fine at the time, but it's been improving every time I think of it. An excellent little game.

Big news on Goal #4 for me

Quote:
4. Get the second Platinum for Demon's Souls (US version)
I was playing this, trying to work out a Penetrator strategy (I've been stuck there for a while as I allowed Biorr to die). Then my brother called round and we took turns doing the level (1.3). To cut a long story short, he managed to kill Penetrator with the novel strategy of using only the bow (after we had played for around an hour). I had tried this just previously and had got him down to half health on my first go, so I am claiming some involvement too

Now I am free to progress to the Platinum. It's still a daunting task requiring roughly two more playthroughs, but I am over that hump.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #13
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Two more playthroughs! I am a little envious, as I am finding it hard at the moment to find time for one playthrough of any game. Good luck on that Platinum!

Quote:
4. Thin out my videogame collection
Have made some progress. Sold six complete, in box, N64 games. Also sold off my copy of Ocarina of Time: Master Quest for GameCube. A little bittersweet putting them up for sale, but haven't been played in years and just taking up space. So, it's good to get a little cash - probably put it towards some more videogames!

Also sold a VCR for $38! Surprised anyone would pay that much to watch VHS.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:52 AM   #14
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Two more playthroughs! I am a little envious, as I am finding it hard at the moment to find time for one playthrough of any game. Good luck on that Platinum!
Thanks! It will be a long term project, doing a few levels here and there. Embarrassingly enough, I have already got the Euro version platinumed (this is the US version of the game), so this is my 6th or 7th full playthrough of the game since 2011

Quote:
Also sold a VCR for $38! Surprised anyone would pay that much to watch VHS.
Haha, brilliant. The mind boggles.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:21 AM   #15
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Okay, I know the last thing anyone wants to read is more Souls chat so I'll keep it brief

Quote:
4. Get the second Platinum for Demon's Souls (US version).
Made significant progress on this last night by getting the Soldier's Trophy (all the weapons). Had to turn worlds 3 & 5 black and beat Rydell and Selen (in the swamp ) to finish it off.

I am also one Black Phantom away from getting to Pure White character tendency and getting the Friend's Ring. That just leaves Mephistopheles's Foe's Ring for that trophy, then the Spells Trophy and the various weapon ascension ones. Looking at 1.5 more playthroughs I think (I started this in 2013!). Crap, I forgot about Pure Bladestone.

Hmm, I said brief, I lied. Hopefully it isn't too opaque