About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old Yesterday, 02:17 AM   #1
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Who hates Phil Fish?

Just stumbled over this video. Anyone here hating PF for one reason or another? If yes, why?
Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM   #2
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Re: Who hates Phil Fish?

Ha ha, what a topic. Can't watch the video as I'm at work, and I don't really want to watch it as I assume it is a hatchet job.

I'm aware that he has annoyed gamers on many occasions. To be honest, I can't really find fault with him on those pronouncements, though I guess that view is a lazy generalisation. But if we can't generalise, then what can we do? I don't fancy having every argument in minute detail.

However, I also am aware from reading the likes of Peter Skerrit on here, that we shouldn't condemn players for things they care greatly about, like the Mass Effect ending, the Call of Duty boycott etc. It's just a matter of perspective, and I find that though I don't share a lot of gamers' perspectives, I should be somewhat sympathetic.

On the Fish thing, it really spiralled out of control. It seems that you really can't have dialogue with people these days on the internet unless you fall within the usual PR norms. I am sympathetic to Fish, though I am aware he 'acted like a dick' at many points in time.

I am actually less sympathetic to the Meat Boy guys 'cos they dissed Madden in one of those Brandon Bales interviews
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM   #3
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: Who hates Phil Fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Ha ha, what a topic. Can't watch the video as I'm at work, and I don't really want to watch it as I assume it is a hatchet job.
Watch it once you're home

Quote:
But if we can't generalise, then what can we do? I don't fancy having every argument in minute detail.
If you don't feel like going into detail, let it be? As a great philosopher once said:

If you don't want to go into detail, why do you want to argue about it? I always find it bewildering when people argue about something they know very little about (nuclear power, climate change, Israel, Phil Fish, the bible, evolution, etc.), but have very strong opinions somehow.

Quote:
However, I also am aware from reading the likes of Peter Skerrit on here, that we shouldn't condemn players for things they care greatly about, like the Mass Effect ending, the Call of Duty boycott etc.
So, why are the same players condemning Phil Fish for something he cares greatly about? That's a double standard.

Quote:
I am sympathetic to Fish, though I am aware he 'acted like a dick' at many points in time.
So did I. So do a lot of people. Because that's what humans do. We are not robots that have a constant emotional state put on a chip somewhere. You wouldn't want to cross my paths before I had breakfast. But the "games media" (that laughable series of websites who take themselves more serious than they have any right) blissfully ignore the occasions when Fish would act 'nice' or not like a dick, because that's not 'news'. If he says something non-controversial nobody cares. As soon as he says something that sounds edgy or can be taken out of context, it's all over the "news". Gaming news that is. My parents don't have a clue who Phil Fish is. My neighbours don't know who Phil Fish is. Even a lot of gamers don't know who Phil Fish is.