About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > PC Games & Hardware Help

Notices

Old 04-07-2014, 03:59 AM   #16
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou
Re: Anyone playing Titanfall on the PC?

Titanfall got more hype than any other game in recent memory, but I don't recall any of it feeling unnatural. I started hearing about it months ago from gaming journalists who played it at trade shows and said it was something special. Then I was impressed by some trailers that appeared to be (and indeed were) comprised completely of gameplay footage. Then their beta testing period did not include an NDA, which meant everyone could share their experiences with the game before it was available for purchase.

It's not like they hid behind some pre-rendered non-gameplay trailers and threw a bunch of money toward advertising. They knew their game was great and did their best to get that word out through hands on demonstrations and gameplay videos.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:08 AM   #17
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
It was more like fans of the series hyping up the game (including press), while games like Titanfall seemed more like viral marketing.
Really? I didn't notice much of Titanfall until very recently, when the usual EA marketing dollars were dishing out the usual swell of trailers, begging consumers to pre-order. But that's what you get with every AAA-game, Titanfall or not. It's nothing compared to Assassins Creed I think. As a matter of fact I remember even the people at IGN talking a bit sceptical about it before it got to hands-on events, after which they became the usual cheerleaders. But at least they're not gametrailers. And the rest of the hype came from yt-persons with access to the beta, like Zanbatou pointed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
But that's imho exactly the difference of the Titanfall hype to those mentioned more "natural" hypes, [...]
Hype is hype, it doesn't matter to me if it's "natural" or Frankenstein himself created it.

And you are talking to one of the perhaps 3 people worldwide who think Fallout 3 was overhyped and still is overrated. I liked the first two Fallout games, I never cared much for the Bethesda school of RPG (albeit giving them a fair shot on a regular basis, most recently with Skyrim). Hence I never quite understood why people think creators of the giant but bland Oblivion would be a good fit for Fallout, a game full with character and (post apocalyptic) charm and humor. I played Fallout 3 less than 20 hours, before I got so bored with it I literally fell asleep (ok, was quite late, but still) in one of those copy & paste subway tunnels. Well, it's big, I give 'em that.

Quote:
It was more were the hype originated from than if it was deserved or not.
As stated above, where hype does or does not originate from does not matter for me. Hype is hype and I tend to judge a game by it's merits and not by the amount of free or paid PR it gathered before release.

For the record: I got annoyed with the Dark Souls 2 marketing campaign quite early on, when they started doing bullshit facebook surveys with which tagline they should hype up the marketing. Or those interviews where they made it sound like it should be the new Skyrim, as if that's the only thing a modern rpg could aspire to. Does it detract from the final game? No.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #18
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
And you are talking to one of the perhaps 3 people worldwide who think Fallout 3 was overhyped and still is overrated.
Me and you are not having a good day today!

I must go back to F3 at some stage and play it again. Loved it at the time but I have since caught some Bethesda Fatigue also. Would like to see how I feel about it now.

There was a big robot who kicked ass at the end, I remember that being very epic/funny.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #19
gamevet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post

And you are talking to one of the perhaps 3 people worldwide who think Fallout 3 was overhyped and still is overrated. I liked the first two Fallout games, I never cared much for the Bethesda school of RPG (albeit giving them a fair shot on a regular basis, most recently with Skyrim). Hence I never quite understood why people think creators of the giant but bland Oblivion would be a good fit for Fallout, a game full with character and (post apocalyptic) charm and humor. I played Fallout 3 less than 20 hours, before I got so bored with it I literally fell asleep (ok, was quite late, but still) in one of those copy & paste subway tunnels. Well, it's big, I give 'em that.

Fallout 3 was my first experience with the franchise. I really loved it, but the tunnels were pretty bad. Once you have opened up the areas and can fast travel, it becomes less of a nuisance.

I recently tried to play the original Fallout on my laptop, when I was out of town. The user-interface felt clunky and I had to look up how to climb a stupid ladder, because the reprint doesn't come with a manual. I may give it another go on a desktop, but as of now, I'm not feeling it.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote