About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 02-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #1
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Could Titanfall End Up A Titanfail?

I played the beta for a while. Can't say I am as excited as the journalists. It is kind of a typical shoot everything in sight game.

They put some video gamey features like wall running and double jumps which I like. Controlling the titans is okay, but not that satisfying. The biggest disappointment is when the round is over and you realize that most of your kills have been bots and not actual players.

I really feel indifferent about Titanfall. Not what you want from a game that is suppose to be the system seller.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:03 AM   #2
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: Could Titanfall End Up A Titanfail?

The hype-train is well on it's way. Even made me pre-order. Wait, let me remedy that.

Ok, pre-order cancelled. I just noticed it arrives too late anyway, I'll be playing Dark Souls 2 at that time

I've seen a couple of videos and looks like fun I guess. Mecha are always a plus in my book, I even played the rather average Mechwarrior Online much longer than I should have. What disappointed me a bit is that apart from the Mecha the game plays rather safe in terms of weapons and equipment. You have some assault rifle thing, you have some shotgun thing, you have some rocket launcher thing, only the smart pistol with it's built in aimbot seems a bit different from the usual. Even UT2004 had more variety, a decade ago.

Regarding system selling: pre-orders seem to be pretty strong (minus one now though). However, after the BF4 disaster-launch I'm not sure how confident I'd be about a multiplayer-only game published by EA. And there is the usual fanboy-ism of xbox owners pretending to trade in their non-existent ps4 to get a larger, slower console with a 100$ gesture and voice controller that works only when it feels like it.

Are you playing on Xbone or PC?
Old 02-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
gamevet

I guess I signed up for the beta a little too late. I was hoping to try this game out on my PC.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I played for a few hours on PC, and enjoyed it.

I liked the inclusion of bots. They make the game feel a lot more cinematic, as they move and talk like soldiers rather than gamers. It makes the setting feel more like a real battlefield, in which a handful of elite soldiers (the human controlled players, or 'pilots') are hunting each other. The way the computer bots occasionally respond with reverence or fear when they encounter a 'pilot' is really cool.

Like Li-Ion said though, the weapons aren't nearly exotic enough to be interesting long-term. The different scale battles between mechs and humans is really the only new thing the game has going for it, and that's not terribly different from the human vs vehicle battles that other games have.

I expect it to be an incredibly fun game for about 30 hours, just based on how good it looks and how smoothly it plays. I'm actually disappointed that it doesn't seem like something worth spending the entire next year with, but thirty hours of solid fun is still well worth a purchase.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

I am playing on the Xbone. Even bought the Titanfall controller. I was going to buy the controller whether or not I'd like the game. I need another controller and it looks cool.

I played a few more rounds last night. It seems more like a fun distraction rather than a game that is going to define the generation. I never thought it was going to be that good. The gaming sites are making it out to be. I wouldn't even call it the best console exclusive currently on the Xbone (That may go to Dead Rising 3).
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote