About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > GameCritics.com Discussion > Community User Submissions

Notices

Old 10-12-2014, 02:05 AM   #1
SnowMew
800 Steam Games!

Send a message via Skype™ to SnowMew
My First Review: Dungeons of Dredmor

Dungeons of Dredmor

GOOD Incredibly fun to play and the edition of mods makes this timeless.

BAD The base game can get stale really quickly for some users.

WTF All of these references and jokes in all this flavour text. Sometimes I just can’t stop laughing.

At the beginning of the game the player has a choice of what difficulty they want to play with, “Elves just wanna have fun” being the easiest where items are the cheapest and enemies are weaker, “Dwarven Moderation” where everything is in the mid ground, and “Going Rogue” where the player will probably die the most. Along with these choices, players can also decide if they want smaller floors so the game will move at a much faster pace, and toggle the first expansion, “Realm of the Diggle Gods” which will add the extra floors associated with that expansion pack.

After this choice, the player can choose any combination of seven skills out of the wide range of skills available. This may include fighting training such as Sword, Axe, and Unarmed, as well as crafting skills like Alchemy, Blacksmithing, and Tinkering, as well as magic skills such as Promethean (fire magic), Golemancy, and Viking Wizardry, and even skills which effect other things, including Vampirism and Veganism. Of course some skills work well with others and some skills work poorly, it’s up to the player to find a build they’re comfortable with, which will help them get to the bottom level and beat the boss. Finally the player can choose a name for their hero, just for it to show up on the leaderboards once they meet their demise, as well as choose either the male or female hero, which is entirely cosmetic.

The skills selection screen, each icon representing the skill nicely.

The player may never feel like they’re running out into the wild with nothing but nonsensical numbers deciding their fate. Each and every stat has a meaning and a purpose as well as associated equipment to modify it. Helpful tool tips pop-up by moving the mouse over anything which will explain the stat or skill and a helpful tutorial will teach the player how to interact with the world. It’s just up to them to conquer it! The pacing of the game is also perfect, players don’t need to go into every room and look or search, and spend hours on end navigating mazes by text. It’s all graphical and easy to use.

As mentioned there are expansion packs, not only adding extra skills, items and monsters, each pack also comes with a major change to game play, “Realm of the Diggle Gods” adds more floors which the player can conquer, and even play as a were diggle. “You Have to Name the Expansion Pack” is the only free expansion which adds more content such as skills, monsters, and items and lastly, “Conquest of the Wizardlands” adds even more monsters, skills and items, as well as magic graffiti which can send you to harder, secret floors that you can complete for extra loot. Of course get a letter wrong and it’s Diggle Hell for you, and you don’t want to go there. Over all the complete pack will give you a lot of content to play with for a very low price.

So many monsters, but nothing is impossible for your hero or heroine!

The game however can get stale, especially with the base game, and you may want to consider getting the expansion packs to increase the fun, however the game with the expansions will only cost you $9.99/£4.99 so it’s not exactly that big of a setback. You could wait for it to go down during a sale, but I feel that the price is fair enough considering how much you may enjoy the game. The addition of Steam Workshop does help with spicing up the game in many ways, but the only way you can guarantee every mod will work is by acquiring every expansion.

Overall I highly recommend this game, whether you’re a huge fan of the rogue-like genre, or someone who has never tried one before. It’s a very good stepping stone to put you into this genre without the need to feel overwhelmed with systems, skills and stats, as well as having the freedom to add mods which can make the game more enjoyable for yourself. Of course if you are a huge fan of rogue-likes then this game will provide you with hours and hours of fun!

Disclosures: This game was obtained via publisher and reviewed on the PC. Approximately 210 hours of play was devoted to single-player modes (completed 0 times, it’s really hard okay). There are no multi-player modes.

Parents: The game doesn’t have an ESRB rating, and doesn’t contain any content that may be questionable; however the use of alcohol to regain mana can be seen as not very child friendly. The emphasis on violence to defeat enemies can be an issue but there is no outstanding gore. Also as the nature of a rogue-like is to die a lot so this game will require a lot of patience, and be aware as there are excessive eyebrows from the start.

Deaf and Hard of Hearing: There are no significant audio cues to be aware of and there’s no spoken dialogue. Everything is in text so it will be okay as the game will move at the pace of the player and also produces a log of actions which have already happened.

Note: I'm not exactly sure if there was a cut off point for when a review can go up for a game. None the less I've stuck with a platform covered by this site and chosen a game I know a lot of and suck a lot of hours in. It's my first review but feel free to comment, compliment, and criticize it. I'd appreciate some direction than no direction at all.
Images taken from http://ahkong.net/dungeons-of-dredmor-download/
Old 10-18-2014, 04:02 AM   #2
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Re: My First Review: Dungeons of Dredmor

Hi Snowmew, welcome!

First the bad news - you may have noticed that traffic here in the forums is pretty low, and despite what the site claims, the owners don't seem to really be considering these reviews for publication any more.

On to the review - it would be helpful if you explained the premise of the game in the first paragraph. I don't know anything about the game, so describing the difficulty etc at the start doesn't really tell me anything. It would be helpful to know the genre, the plot, what the gameplay is like etc early in the review rather than picking it up after three or four paragraphs.

That's be my main issue, hope it helps
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #3
SnowMew
800 Steam Games!

Send a message via Skype™ to SnowMew

It's sad to hear about the site traffic. That said I've been watching since I posted it and as far as I've accounted I was the most active member.

I probably should have added the premise in there, along with everything else. I can see where I've gone wrong. None the less it helps.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
Goatart
8-Bit Poster

The community user reviews was one of my favorite things about this site. Definitely unfortunate that the lack of traffic (I didn't help this struggle in the last year or so) has made it all but nullified now.

All in all I liked your review but agree that the general premise of the game should have come before the gameplay description. That said, it's a nice, to the point review, so if that were fixed up you'd have my vote (if that count(s)(ed) for anything ha)
Goatart is offline   Reply With Quote