About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 07-15-2014, 06:03 PM   #106
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Re: Dark Souls 2

Well it sounds like the worst piece of DLC in the history of mankind:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/15/590...-kicked-my-ass
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:50 AM   #107
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I still haven't played any of the first DLC and the second is out. For 9.99 a piece, I probably wait for a steam sale before looking at them. Currently I have no interest in playing Dark Souls 2. Demon's Souls on the other hand... hm... should I play a Twin Fangs inspired character perhaps?
Old 12-08-2014, 07:00 AM   #108
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Now I'm playing the DLC. It's good. What I've seen so far is, in terms of level & boss design, better than the core game. It has the sense of exploration Dark Souls 2 was so severely lacking. Too bad the three DLC Kingdoms are not directly linked to the rest but "somewhere" over some rainbow. But that didn't take away from the excellent atmosphere that was the painted world in the first Dark Souls and it doesn't take away from the atmosphere here. Each DLC has a theme it sticks to, each DLC offers something other than "dude in armor" as enemies, as we've seen so many in the core game. I finally get the sense that different damage types have a significant impact and some enemies I want to approach with slashing weapons while others need to be mace'd into submission.

And then you have those were you need a specific damage type to leave any impression. And then there are those who can't simply be killed and you have to wreck your brain finding a way how to beat them. How did I miss this in Dark Souls 2! And the NPC invasions! Hilarious! Wonderful! Some have specific ways how they annoy you, which is very much how you get annoyed by actual human invaders. Finally I have the "WTF?"-moments I was missing in the core game. I'm almost done with the sunken DLC and found the first boss of the other DLCs (one of them ripped me a new one, while the other seems perfectly manageable I just ran out of time yesterday night).

Quite a turnaround. It doesn't remove the criticisms of the horrible worldbuilding in parts of the core game, but it makes me hopeful for Bloodborne and the inevitable Dark Souls 3.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:45 AM   #109
Pedro
128-bit Poster

How are the mobs, is it still the 'position a bunch of enemies in front of the fog gate' approach?
Old 12-10-2014, 05:33 AM   #110
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Well, yes and no. There are a few fog gates with really annoying amount and/or type of enemy just waiting in front. But there are luckily some enemy types that go a bit beyond "dude in armor". No, we also have possessed armor and dudes where you have to find their armor first. And enemies where you need specific items where the "pleasure" is trying to find out what to do with the item. And there are enemies that are just there to annoy.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:08 AM   #111
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Hmmm. I'm starting to get a bit tempted. All the same, I never finished the DLC for DS1 (damn you Artorias!) and I should really take care of that business first.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:13 AM   #112
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Need help with Arty? If you're somewhere in the vicinity of the SL of any of my DS characters I can beat him senseless for you

While I was failing dozens of times at Manus, which other people found "easy", I never had issues beating Arty. All you need is a 100% block shield with decent stability and the occasional dodge roll. Oh and it helps to be aggressive, then Arty get's more docile. Like with a dog (wolf), you have to show him who's the boss. If you let him get the upper hand he just dances on your grave
Old 12-10-2014, 07:46 AM   #113
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Need help with Arty? If you're somewhere in the vicinity of the SL of any of my DS characters I can beat him senseless for you
I might take you up on that I must go back and check what SL I am, but I think it was with the character I platinumed, so I'm thinking it will be something crazy.

Quote:
All you need is a 100% block shield with decent stability and the occasional dodge roll.
I need to try this first, the concept of 100% blocking/fire/magic etc was only really brought home to me in DS2, so maybe I have just had the absolute wrong strategy. Myself and my brother tried it one evening and both got destroyed (with, I am assuming, two SL130 characters). We may have just been out of practice though.

I will go back and have a look, cheers!