About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 03-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #31
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: Dark Souls 2

We won't get Dark Souls 2 in the UK until Friday
Old 03-13-2014, 04:08 PM   #32
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Yeah

Used to be that Gamestop would give you a call on the Thursday night and you could go and collect your game a day early but they seem to have stopped that practice. Of course I lived in a smaller town that time too.

Ah well, can wait till tomorrow. Also, we have a holiday on Monday for St Patrick's Day so I have a long weekend in which to play. Should be finished the game by, oh, Tuesday.

Impressions seem good, even if you filter out the hype. I still don't know much about the game at this stage.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #33
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Sooo, got the game and have defeated the first boss. Impressions:

I like it, it is good.

Playing a bandit. Female bandit armour is an eyesore. Having difficulty determining whether the armour in shops is better than the armour I am wearing. Seems you can only compare them easily once you have bought them and they are in inventory

A dex build seems to have not many advantages at the moment - rolling is probably better of course but the bow is probably only useful in strategic ranged situations, not like Demons' bow where you could go through the whole game with it.

Dex seems to have no efffect on falling damage, a 10 ft fall will kill you

Combat seemed very clunky at first, and I had to adjust camera sensitivity down to zero to get comfortable. The enemies seem more able to parry and there is a bit of that.

Not a fan of the larger mobs of enemies. A different challenge though. Lots of damn ambushes which isn't great. A lot of dudes come to life after you pass them and attack from behind.

Like the fast travel system and like the non-respawning enemies (though have only seen this with one guy so far , so it probably takes 7 or 8 kills before they disappear).

Environments etc seem ok - you can see a lot of the landmarks in the distance from the overworld, which is good. The outdoor area Majula is a bit hard on the eyes, maybe because of the 'hot oil' sea effects. Underground and indoors seem lovely. I'm having trouble spotting some enemies against the backgrounds (may be my colourblindness but my brother who is the same has no such issues so may be gamma settings or something).

Plenty of stuff to figure out, with a lot of locked doors and stuff that you'll have to come back to later and see what happens.

Overall, very positive, though the above probably focuses on negative stuff in the time-honoured tradition of gamers everywhere. Played it till 3am and my brother was still playing it when I went to bed. Lots and lots of texts exchanged, so collaborative gaming at its best.

Last edited by Pedro; 03-15-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #34
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Pedro, what level were you when you beat the first boss and how many hours were you playing at that point? Is it the guy in the red armor?

I am 5.5 hours in. I don't think I am ready to face that guy yet. I am playing as a sorcerer and I am at level 24. I increased my strength so I can no use swords.

Last edited by abfackeln; 03-15-2014 at 04:22 PM.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:38 PM   #35
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I beat the first boss after about 4 hours playtime. Took me three attempts, almost had him the second time already. The first time I wasn't aware it's a bossroom, so I just marched in, completely unprepared

Playing female knight, now running around with full elite knight armor, longsword, shield and shortbow. Been raising strength and dex evenly so far (both at 14 atm) and I noticed that unlike DaS1, the strength get's doubled when two-handing, not just multiplied by 1,5! I was quite surprised when I could two-hand the halberd with it's str. requirement of 20, when I just hat 12 str. at that point.

First thing I noticed: for some reason the game looks much better on my tv than on screenshots on the internet. I have no idea why, but a lot of the screens on the web look ugly as sin but the final game is actually pretty nice looking.

Second thing I noticed: Shields work quite different these days. Takes some time to get used to but I think I'm slowly getting there. But still not able to parry except a few enemies.

I also noticed that it's possible to become human again by helping others to beat a boss. Just did a couple of white knight duties (co-op as shade, but since I play a knight and the shades are white it's kind of appropriate) and am finally looking like a human again. Also gives quite a number of souls, which I could spend on upgrading my weapons and armor.

Next stop is the old dragonslayer, already did him couple of times as shade but my first attempt alone was unfortunately a failure since I ran straight into his spear. Well, next time I get you...

Also, so far not a single invasion, is everyone still too busy beating the game themselves to start trolling others?
Old 03-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #36
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by abfackeln View Post
Pedro, what level were you when you beat the first boss and how many hours were you playing at that point? Is it the guy in the red armor?
Probably about 6 hours in but level 20 or so. He is super easy, it took me about 8 tries but that's because I was impatient.

No, he is in the castle. But if you have made it to the red-armoured guy, you will also beat him easily - I did it on my first attempt and I am terrible. Do the castle guy asap as the rewards are many

I spent some time at it today and am levelling at an alarming pace. I now have good heavy and light armour (the light is the royal soldier armour though, horrible). Have opened up several new areas now, but not looking forward to the Pursuer at all, who I haven't dealt with yet.

Using the Fire Longsword +3 and the Falchion +1 (dex bonus). Levelling a lot of stats concurrently and have STR, DEX, END all around 15. It seems the new stat Adaptability affects your fall rating rather than Dex, as well as increasing Poise and the resistances.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:54 PM   #37
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Where did you get a fire longsword?
Old 03-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #38
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Go down to the bottom of the scaffolding and there is a tunnel with a fire-breathing thing in it. A helpful message told me to dash and then left, and there is a door there that you can just get through in time
Old 03-16-2014, 06:47 AM   #39
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I suppose it's a bit of a cheat weapon really. This game's Drake Sword.

Hmm, I have had some really cheap encounters now. People say Demon's and Dark were cheap at times, but apart from probably the Capra Demon, I didn't see it. But you have to love painstakingly working your way through a new area for 40 mins and then getting murderised by multiple things bursting through a wall. #nochance
Old 03-17-2014, 05:20 AM   #40
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I wouldn't call the fire longsword this game's Drake Sword, it's not nearly as powerful. By the time I found it my upgraded regular longsword already did more damage to most enemies, since weapons with 2 damage types have to get through 2 different defenses separately after all.

Bosscounter (number of attempts in brackets):
Forest of Giants
The Last Giant (3)
Pursuer (3)

Heide's Tower
Old Dragonslayer (2)
Dragonrider (2)

No Man's Wharf
Flexible Guardian (1)

I'm now at the point that I can use my first miracle (Force), but am still pondering if it was worth the hassle or if I should have just kept on increasing my combat related attributes rather than pumping tons of points in attunement to equip at least one miracle. Well, if everything else fails I can still respec I guess

No Man's Wharf was quite fun and it's an area that's much easier if you're careful and make deliberate use of ranged weapons like a bow. I didn't die a single time there, only time I died was when I fell into the water where I thought I found a shortcut. Not making that mistake again

I have the fire longsword as backup weapon, but for most enemies my regular upgraded longsword does more damage. I also found a greatsword but it's a bit too heavy for my equipment load... don't want to get rid of armor just to wear that.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:39 AM   #41
Pedro
64-bit Poster

No Mans Wharf is now literally that, as I have executed every living thing there. Including the merchant (lurking in a building which is clearly a trap in every other way was inadvisable).

Agree about the bow, it finally came into its own in this level. Would maybe have liked more archers to take advantage of the special enemy attacks.

The boss gave me some trouble, again due mostly to inattention, but the first few times because I felt pressured by time in that fight (after taking a very cautious approach at the start and running out). It was a smart fight, if easy.

Which brings me to: I have a feeling the internet will soon be emitting howls of rage. As I get deeper into the game the levels are excellent (if linear) and the art design and enemies are great. But I've killed several bosses on the first go, and most have been easy. Of course, famous last words etc, and I fully expect to hit a wall any moment.

The other thing is I seem to be running out of content and I haven't come across a huge amount of weapons or materials with which to ascend them. Again this may prove unfounded.

Finally, Cheapness! Brad mentioned that he doesn't feel that the developers are trolling people as much in this one: my experience is the opposite, with several very dubious encounters at this stage.

I've immensely enjoyed my time with it so far though
Old 03-18-2014, 06:32 AM   #42
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Oh, also that miracle slot will be very useful in at least one upcoming area if not two. I was the same, and kind of only got levelled up enough in faith and attunement a bit too late, but still worth it I think. You'll always find it useful for at the very least, the homeward miracle as well.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #43
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Which brings me to: I have a feeling the internet will soon be emitting howls of rage. As I get deeper into the game the levels are excellent (if linear) and the art design and enemies are great. But I've killed several bosses on the first go, and most have been easy. Of course, famous last words etc, and I fully expect to hit a wall any moment.
So far I wasn't really struggling so much either, except for the last bit before the Lost Sinner bossfight (RAAAAAGE). But I didn't really struggle much in Dark Souls either, except for O&S, Four Kings and Manus. I am pretty sure there will be stuff coming that makes me curse and swear.

Quote:
Finally, Cheapness! Brad mentioned that he doesn't feel that the developers are trolling people as much in this one: my experience is the opposite, with several very dubious encounters at this stage.
Agreed, there are much more cheap shots than in the first Dark Souls. Case in point: bonfire at Sinner's where you get shot at by 3 crossbow/greatsword guys as soon as you stand up. The entire sinner's tower and water section feels pretty cheap, especially in contrast to most of the rest of the game and previous Souls'.

edit:
how are you leveling your character?

I'm at the moment going a bit the survivability route, have Str and Dex at 20 which enables me to use a wide variety of weapons and am raising mostly defensive stats right now. Wearing heavy armor surely helps there.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #44
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I have 23 in STR, 22 DEX, 20 END. Pretty standard stuff I guess. Have you seen any videos of mages playing? I watched a couple of boss fights and the guy in them was rolling constantly and then blasting the boss with Soul Arrow from a distance. It didn't look much fun to play.

So I am standard STR/DEX combo. Could not wait to get a shield once I started (and that took long enough), and eventually a light blade. I have a Varangian Sword (good meaty thwacking) +3 and a Falchion +3 as well as the Fire Sword +4. Have you seen any good scaling weapons? Highest I have seen for Dex is a B.

Edit: Oh, I haven't even progressed through the Lost Bastille yet. I got fed up with those little stone buggers ("let's put 5 of these guys just inside the door") and stopped at the gate to the three sisters or whatever they are. I went in the other direction instead, up into the woods

Last edited by Pedro; 03-18-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #45
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Bosscounter update
Forest of Giants
The Last Giant (3)
Pursuer (3)
Heide's Tower
Old Dragonslayer (2)
Dragonrider (2)
No Man's Wharf
Flexible Guardian (1)
Lost Bastille
Ruin Sentinels (3)
Huntsman's Copse
Skeleton Lords (4)

Now I'm in front of a ghostly chariot on fire and figured out what I'm supposed to do in my first two attempts. I'm getting a bit too tired now to have a proper go at it now, but the chariot will fall... soon...

@Stats we seem to pretty similar in terms of stats then, I also went for a Dex/Str combo for now since I like this "quality build" since the Demon's Souls days.

Found a magic mace. Upgraded to +3, just what I need for all those pesky little skeletons and their necromancers. Not quite as good for backstabbing some of those weird cultists running around, hence my longsword +4 is in slot two. Since my longsword broke in my first attempt at the ruin sentinels mid-fight (and trying to get another weapon in the inventory resulted in failure), I always have 2 weapons ready at all times

I also found out today that you open illusory walls by tapping X, instead of attacking. NOOOOOO! Why did they change that?