About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > The Art of Video Games

Notices

Old 04-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #16
Brandon Raabit
New Poster

Rep Power: 0 Brandon Raabit is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Saddest Games

First let me say hello everyone! I'm still new to the community so I'll be in your care.

Now sad games. What I love about this thread is that is shows there's value in games that transcends the quantifiable. For me, games have always existed on two levels: entertainment and experience. There are plenty of games that operate under the level of game design where I'm given mechanics and a goal to achieve. In fact, how most Iphone games operate and that's fine because they're fun but I consider them closer akin to sports than I do games. I've always considered real games to provide me with an experience and if it's a well made game that experience is often challenging.

Games that have made me feel sad, well there's a long list but most of my memorable ones are the old JRPGs (Final Fantasy 7-10, Legend of Dragoon, ect). At the time I never considered why though probably because I was a pre-teen and felt a lot of feelings on a daily basis. Looking back on it, it was about the characters and living vicariously through them. Even if they didn't always do what I wanted, it was their experiences and their feelings that were conveyed that often left me as a mushy pile of emotions.

I'm not sure if it's me or if it's the current game industry but it's rare to feel that way anymore. I played Super Columbine Massacre RPG a few years back and that's when my perspective on games changed.

The game is exactly as it sounds, it's not graphic due to the fact it was made on RPG Maker 2000 but the content is real. Hyper real actually and that creates a disturbing sense of alienation to the situation as well. Now I don't believe games should emulate this model but I do believe that what this game promises is at the heart of what makes game a unique art form. The promise of an experience, of an interaction, of a perspective that is naturally unattainable through any other means.

That's when games make me sad. Sorry that this became a rant and thanks to those that listened.
Brandon Raabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #17
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Re: Saddest Games

Good point about the Characters - I guess it's when you invest in them to some degree that things can get emotional. I recently played To the Moon, and it was all about the characters and their flaws. Very moving and sad too.

Edit: mass effect 3 spoilers

Interesting then that I wasn't invested in Commander Shepard at all. I guess Bioware were making that character 'yours', so they didn't really elaborate on the background too much, while almost the entire game was about all the other minor characters. Daft racist Ashley and the fish guy with the terminal disease. I spent half the game looking for that pipe for Engineering because I thought without it a vent would blow and those three extremely minor characters would die.

Last edited by Pedro; 04-19-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:20 AM   #18
johnlopez681
New Poster

Rep Power: 0 johnlopez681 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Saddest Games

there are thousands of sad parts in video games that appeal to different people...These just appealed to him.....If you were making an overall as in not your opinion the list would be severely different...I disagree with some of them but I do feel for a few...
johnlopez681 is offline   Reply With Quote