About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 09-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #106
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Re: What are you playing right now?

GT5 - for some reason I didn't have the huge install, and I rented it before the patches came out so I missed that too. It's a lot of fun in places though, hope you enjoy it. Did you buy it and has it come down in price much? I was thinking of buying it but it was still pretty pricey here last time I looked.

I'm just back from holiday so I hope to finish off Far Cry 2 soon and also get to grips with Madden 12 (I need to get to the next level, where I can use audibles effectively and start messing with sliders and stuff).
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #107
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

The budget price "platinum games" edition of GT5 just came out, that's why amazon apparently started to throw out the regular copies they still have for a reduced price. I paid 20 pounds which is pretty ok.

Now that I actually could play GT5 it's quite a lot of fun. I got used to the handling thanks to the extensive tutorial (that license stuff) and now do some beginner races with my Honda Civic and some of the challenges (carting, nascar, nürburgring). I also just got me an Evo X, what else do I need?
Old 09-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #108
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
@JLB1987: I think you mean Deus Ex not Due Sex.
Due Sex sounds like an amazing game. I need to play and often!

Currently playing LEGO: Pirates of the Caribbean. So far so good, but it's your standard LEGO: Insert-Franchise-Here game. Think Star Wars: Original Trilogy may still be the best one.

Also, still playing Donkey Kong Country Returns. Running through a couple levels a day. Overall, a really great game, though I am kind of wishing the gameplay was more along the lines of the superb Jungle Beat.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #109
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Been playing Cities in Motion. Steam had the full game, minus one DLC pack for $9.99 the other day. Really like it alot, although the interface can be a little unfriendly at times, and it can be very easy to wreck your budget with overbuilding. I am impressed with the size of the program though. It's small but does alot and the city scrolls like butter.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #110
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
I also just got me an Evo X, what else do I need?
I dunno, I splurged all my cash on stupid American muscle cars, which was great There's an old Dodge Challenger, I think, which fits the entry requirements of a lot of races. However, I definitely found the small car races most fun. There's one where you race VW Polos or something around the Nurburgring...Lupos, that was it! Fantastic fun.

Man, 23 euro on Play. Must resist....

Last edited by Pedro; 09-17-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:12 AM   #111
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I got myself a '71 Ford Mustang Mach 1, supercharged it and now participate in races with all those fancy modern cars. They might be quicker around the corner, but the raging yellow monster which is my Mustang gets them everytime there's more than 20 meters straight road

The only race I didn't enjoy so far was the one with a VW bus around the top gear test track. I got disqualified 10 times just because of little bumps here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Man, 23 euro on Play. Must resist....
Old 09-28-2011, 06:43 AM   #112
crackajack
64-bit Poster

finally upgraded to a smartphone, so last weeks exercise was balance my mobile or fondle the screen.
Fun for a while, but as a gaming platform it's really not much better than many flash games on PC. Except the sensation of the different controls. Like with the wii. For a short period of time great.
The apple standard 99ct seems low, but many games are hardly worth that much.
Luckily on the Android platform many games are sponsored via ads.

Yooninja free/Plus
vvvvvv with Sonic-speed on rails, or so. Rather short, rather hard. Fun for its length, but i have no desire to play such a game longer.

Moon Chaser
Pretty funny to time the Ninjas movement right but the current task is out of my reach and repeating the same levels endlessly is not fun enough to try longer.

Drop
First impression: Motion Control works surprisingly good. I really would want to see Hydroventure/ Fluidity on such a platform. when directly holding the in game book/game world.
Funny for some time, but it lacks any form of variety to be fun longer than some minutes.

Abduction
I think Doodle Jump is the more well known original.
Fun and has at least some variety.

Pew Pew
An unpolished Geometry Wars clone. Four game modes, one too easy to get gold, one impossible to get even bronze.
Actually usable but touch controls suck, especially when two thumbs are blocking the view on the screen.

Slice It
Slightly rough in the controls when using two fingers. Also too unprecise with one finger. Would need a stylus pen. So a lot of undoes are necessary before slicing the geometry with the intented direction is possible.
Other than that great game.

Glow-puzzle
A little unresponsive when touching the points.
Hope the later levels get harder, but also a great one.

Sudoku 10.000
Sudokus are great and there are plenty of apps available. I tried four and deleted the other ones. Here the program is giving some reasonable help with coloring the active number.

Unblock me free
/
Mouse Trap
Moving blocks to free a mouse or a red master block.
Both are a little unresponsive or react not at all when moving too fast.
But a fun puzzle game.

Speedx 3D free
Precise motion control, but it lacks a wider dead zone. Going straight on is hard.
Seems a bit too fast too hard, since the view is limited and evading is hard already in stage 2 of 4.

aTilt 3D Labyrinth Free
Nice labyrinth game. Balancing the phone horizontally to guide a ball to its exit.

Brain Cube
I like puzzle games with moving blocks.

Angry Birds (Season/ Rio)
Much better than expected. Thought it would be a dumbed down clone of Worms, actually it is, but it's fun to play with doing the input via touchscreen and not via pc peripherals.

Burn the Rope
Ignite a rope and then rotate the mobile to guide the flame upwards. Easy on the first levels but later i have to dye the flame in the correct color to be able to burn the according ropes. Great.

And the best is: all of above are free.

Let's Golf
was pre installed. Pretty much the same as Tiger Woods games or any golf game ever was. Aim, hit the 100% power, look on the terrain while putting.
I don't like golf games.

Cut the rope might be interesting. But bother to give google my credit card info for a game below 1€? No for now. Maybe when other better games attract my attention.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #113
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Sanctum (PC)

love the tower defense w/maze building and FPS elements. Artistically and soundwise, it's pleasantly clean. Like the planning stage, like the attacks. Surprisingly diverting. Not terribly deep, but deep enough.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #114
Pedro
128-bit Poster

How is the whole PC-gaming thing going, Rob? Are you happy enough with it or are you thinking wistfully about what might have been with Dark Souls next week?

I still - still! - playing Far Cry 2. Great game, but I wish it would end now. 82% finished. Need to get it done before Ico etc arrive here on Friday.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #115
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Since Dark Souls isn't out for another week, I've been looking at Xenonauts (the eurogamer expo build). The game has no release date yet but my craving for a new XCom title made me pre-order this game. This video

should give some idea what it's like. Or this article. It does feel very much XCom down to the initial confusion of what the hell is going on. I hope they include some kind of tutorial until release, otherwise people might be frightened by the sheer amount of stuff that has to be considered. I'm looking forward to the release
Old 10-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #116
RandomRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
How is the whole PC-gaming thing going, Rob? Are you happy enough with it or are you thinking wistfully about what might have been with Dark Souls next week?

I still - still! - playing Far Cry 2. Great game, but I wish it would end now. 82% finished. Need to get it done before Ico etc arrive here on Friday.
Actually thought Demon's Souls was dreary and unforgiving, so a sequel's not on my to-do list. And Sony can smoke a turd in hell. I would like to see the HD SOTC, but not enough to buy another PS3.

As for PC gaming, I'm finding my self seeking out more niche and smaller titles, which are legion on PC. At the same time I've no interest in any A list games right now, so it's a good fit for me.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #117
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Great, glad it's working out. Probably not your thing, but make sure and check out the original Mount & Blade. I got it on a whim and it ended up one of my favourite games. You can probably get it for a couple of bucks now.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #118
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Ah, that reminds me that I bought the complete Mount & Blade pack at a recent steam sale... should really play that
Old 10-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #119
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Shadow of the Colossus, but not for much longer. In fact I've just rage quit.

That must be the single most annoying control scheme in the whole of videogames. Jump + Grab? Fuck that.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #120
RandomRob

just aim for the fur. It's not hard. Make sure to find out their achilles heel spot so you can climb aboard easily.