About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 08-30-2011, 06:04 AM   #91
JLB1987
Sex machine

Re: What are you playing right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
However, I also picked up Far Cry 2 for cheap, and haven't been able to tear myself away from it. What a world! It's fantastic, and the scene is beautifully set by the opening cab ride. The missions are ok, but livened up by the appearance of buddies. One of these, a Charlie Sheen-type character, has just gone and died on me, god dammit. I miss his madcap plans already. The enemy AI is excellent most of the time, with soldiers flanking you from both sides. There are some terrible design decisions also - not being able to drive around the world without bumping into enemy checkpoints being the main one.

But a wonderful game. If the developers can put in the same strong performance for the next one and iron out some of the small flaws, then I am sold already.
I really wish I enjoyed the game past the initial two-or-so hours of it stunning me. There were still things that I enjoyed about the game after this (the buddy system seemed to work well, really liked starting fires, the actual FPS mechanics are solid enough), but overall, I just had a miserable experience with the game. I couldn't understand why they had this wonderfully diverse, beautiful open world, but make no effort with diversity in gameplay (apart from that one small town, EVERYBODY wants to kill you, no questions asked). I ended up selling it. Prefer the original Far Cry greatly, but I have high hopes for the third game.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:49 AM   #92
ErikLensherr
New Poster

Rep Power: 0 ErikLensherr is an unknown quantity at this point

ive been playing alot of online games lately..

Uncharted Waters Online, Cosmic Break, Dragons Nest [although still DL-ng the client hahaha]
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #93
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Yeah, the gameplay could do with some diversity, I agree. I'm still walking into villages thinking, maybe I can talk to these guys. It would be nice if everyone you see wasn't your enemy.

Not to make excuses, but I guess implementing those systems would be a huge extra overhead. The biggest flaw is definitely the checkpoints - if you could drive around unimpeded it would be truly great.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:10 AM   #94
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I started playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution last night. It's still too early to judge, but it's looking extremely promising so far.

I failed to save a hostage early on, and when I walked outside there were cops surrounding her body, one performing cpr and the others shouting for an ambulance. After a minute or so they pronounced her dead and then started complaining about how they shouldn't have been kept from doing their jobs while they waited for me to take care of things.

Usually when I fail like that in a game I'll reload and try to do better the next time through, but this scripted scene impressed me enough that I went with it. They've made their failure options interesting as well. I'm going to try my best to keep saving/loading at a minimum throughout this game and just accept the story that initially unfolds.

I don't think I've really ever done that before.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:28 AM   #95
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Maybe Boiling Point might be an alternative to FC2? Or eventually the "sequel" White Gold: War in Paradise which i have not played.
I never played Far Cry 2 myself but it looked like a polished but sort of emptied version of Boiling Point to me.
Strong warning on the bugs though!

Every now and then i play Squarelogic. Solved hundreds of levels so far. Love it.

Super Meat Boy
After some weeks pause i retried finally finishing the Cotton Valley, and did it. Woohoo! After adding another 100 something deaths to my statistics.
Next up: finish the Dark World.

Started Deadly Premonition yesterday. The controls really feel bad. The graphics are acceptable. I like York so far and him talking to Zach. Looks promising.

Last edited by crackajack; 08-31-2011 at 06:32 AM.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:45 PM   #96
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Usually when I fail like that in a game I'll reload and try to do better the next time through, but this scripted scene impressed me enough that I went with it.
That's good. This reminds me of my brother playing Heavy Rain - he accepted all the blunders he made etc, and in the end pretty much everyone died.

Because of this, he never got to the point where all the contradictions etc were exposed, and therefore still thinks Heavy Rain is one of the most amazing games ever.

Quote:
Sarted Deadly Premonition yesterday. The controls really feel bad. The graphics are acceptable. I like York so far and him talking to Zach. Looks promising.
I'll be interested to hear your opinion on this, as you strike me as a 'gameplay is everything' type of fella. This game is kinda the opposite.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:16 PM   #97
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

been grinding away at Crazy Taxi. Got my first S license
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:09 AM   #98
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
as you strike me as a 'gameplay is everything' type of fella.
Really?
I like eg Bayonetta but i don't like Devil May Cry (or Ninja Gaiden) although the gameplay is similar. And since i'm not at all a fan of Tomb Raider i guess it wasn't the female curves.

I really like to bitch about anything that can be listed as bad, Zero Punctuation attitude, which is imo missing in the majority of reviews, and i guess whining about the gameplay is easiest so it might be the dominant portion of my blah blah.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #99
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Started playing The Witcher 2 and it's a incredibly pretty game. It's also very cinematic and so far way better than the first part. The combat is a bit weird. I heard the comparison with Demon's Souls but it didn't remind me at DS at all due to the lack of a shield. What almost stopped me playing right away was the tutorial or lack thereof. I died multiple times because the game didn't feel it necessary to show/tell me how to fight, brew potions, craft items or anything else. I think I died more in the first hour of Witcher than I did in the first 3 hours of demon's souls. Now that I figured out how the combat works and that the way to go is run like a german sheperd dog around a herd of sheep, making hit-and-run attacks it's pretty easy.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:41 AM   #100
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

After Witcher mad me I went back to Deus Ex Human Revolution again, playing in Deus Ex difficulty. Also switched off object highlighting and crosshairs. That really changed the game, since now I look much more at the environment, while before I was mainly looking at whatever flashes golden. The missing crosshair makes firefights quite a lot more difficult, since firing from the hip isn't as effective anymore. My aim is using mainly pistol and revolver this time (I'm a cowboy), thus I'll see that I get laser sight for them sooner rather than later.

p.s. yes, there are occasions when Bon Jovi is applicable. Very rare occasions
Old 09-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #101
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

playing Final Fantasy IV on the DS and am pretty happy with it! After all the complaints I heard about hard difficulty and bad localization, Im surprised to find what so far seems to be a respectful and entertaining rework of the SNES game.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:07 AM   #102
JLB1987
Sex machine

Civilization 5
Bought it on Steam, as it was on sale, and I realised that it would run on my laptop (fairly well, too, on medium settings. Did not expect that). So far, I'm impressed. My only previous experience with the series was number 3, and I was kinda let down by that instalment (the final straw was the Statue of Zeus wonder, I think, which just threw extra mounted units at you for free. Very cheap, and put me off playing the game any further). Civ 5 is much more satisfying. I like how you can no longer stack units, so tactics plays a far greater part in war now, rather than who has the most units. Also, the hexagonal grid makes play feel far more natural. Love it so far, but I'm finding it a bit too easy on medium difficulty.

Deus Ex
The original one. Finally found a way of getting it to work without displaying many of the colours incorrectly. Bringing back old memories- haven't played this for years, but so far am enjoying it as much as I hoped I would. Will be playing through this one and the sequel. Hoping by the time I've completed both games, Human Revolution will be in GOTY form, as I refuse to buy games that have DLC planned. It's all or nothing for me.

Last edited by JLB1987; 09-14-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #103
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

@JLB1987: I think you mean Deus Ex not Due Sex

I'm playing Space Marine and it's bloody hilarious. The bloody is hereby literal, can't remember when I played a game with so much exploding bodies outside of a zombie shooting gallery. It's also good for people who easily forget what game they are playing, since every 15 seconds some ork runs along, yelling "Space Marine!" and charging right at you. As I wrote in my first impressions about the demo, it is a game that succeeds in making you feel powerful. Normal humans fall on their knees as they see you and it says something about the imperium of man's confidence in space marines that they send a group of 3 to pretty much stop a planetary invasion. I don't really get the criticism about it being repetitive. It's less repetitive than most ironsight simulation games due to the inclusion of melee as fundamental gameplay element. I'm about 4 hours into the singleplayer and so far it has been pretty good. The running, gunning, slashing and executing works really well and switching between ranged and melee combat is seamless. The story isn't exactly deep but quite nice delivered.

The multiplayer is also quite fun, played about 4 hours of that as well. It's class based with your regular tactical marines, devestators who sacrifice mobility and melee damage for ranged firepower and assault marines who sacrifice armor and ranged firepower for mobility and melee damage. The opposing chaos marines have mirror images of all classes and weapons but call them differently. There are some issues with the multiplayer however: first of all no dedicated servers, which on the pc is a cardinal sin for a multiplayer shooter. This results in some nasty lag spikes and I had already some games disconnecting because the host had some issues. In standard game it's not possible to choose which side you want to play, which can be an issue if you want to unlock certain armor types and abilities. It could also help if there would be a couple more game types. Currently there are only team deathmatch and domination modes. What is there is pretty solid, but it feels like a bit of wasted potential with no inclusion of orks or imperial guards in multiplayer. I'd have loved to see some asymmetric multiplayer modes.

Overall a fun little game. If you're interested definitely check out the demo. If you like what you see there you'll surely like the full game.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #104
JLB1987
Sex machine

Thank you for correcting that... freudian slip there, lol.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #105
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Gran Turismo 5
At least that was the plan. So far I've been downloading patches for 1 1/2 hours and installing for another hour. I wonder when I can actually play the game. When I bought my next gen console I was looking forward to the "easy" way of just putting the disc in and play. So far I have to say I'm getting more and more back to PC gaming, where I can at least do something else with my machine while it is installing/patching/whatnot.