About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 06-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #766
gamevet

Re: What are you playing right now?

I didn't know that they had added a T2 table. The last time I'd play Pinball Arcade on the PS3, was when they had released the Star Wars tables.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:35 AM   #767
QXZ
They hit me with a truck

Send a message via AIM to QXZ Send a message via Yahoo to QXZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
I didn't know that they had added a T2 table. The last time I'd play Pinball Arcade on the PS3, was when they had released the Star Wars tables.
Are you sure you're not referring to Star Trek or some other pinball game on PSN?

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
-- Adam Savage of
Mythbusters

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.co.../GreenPuyo.png
QXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #768
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by QXZ View Post
Still having trouble with Harem Multiball on Arabian Nights? You know the left loop that often leads to a locked ball? You'll have to make that shot when there's a purple/pink light instead of a blue one. Five shots, and Harem should be yours.
I just can't make that shot with any consistency, I don't know what's wrong with me! Tried for a whole hour yesterday and the most I got was 4/5. Grrrr.

Quote:
As for Genie, the 5x bonus multiplier's mor difficult in practice than in theory. If you look closely at the set of four drop targets near the lower right flippers, there's a light that comes on after hitching certain targets. If you hit one while the light's on, that's going to increase your multiplier. However, it'll have to be turned back on after each multiplier increase. Hope that helps.
Hmm, it might. I'll have a look, thanks.

That Black Knight 2000 table is a real beauty.

I'm enjoying the cheesier tables at the moment - Creature from the Black Lagoon, Bride of Pinbot etc (but I guess they are all cheesy really, eh?).

Thanks for all the links btw, I even see a podcast over there! While I am absolutely terrible at pinball, and always will be, I'm stunned at the complexity, level of detail, design smarts that makes the tables so different from each other etc. It's a whole other world, really liking it.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:23 PM   #769
gamevet

Quote:
Originally Posted by QXZ View Post
Are you sure you're not referring to Star Trek or some other pinball game on PSN?
Oops!

I'm thinking of Zen Pinball 2.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/tag/zen-pinball/

I have Pinball arcade on the 360.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #770
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Currently trying to finish up Damnation and dabbling a little in Street Fighter IV. Damnation is okay, really bad story and dialogue. I am horrible at fighting games, so probably won't be playing Street Fighter much longer.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:14 AM   #771
Pedro
64-bit Poster

FINALLY

Got Harem Multiball on Tales of the Arabian Nights, completing the standard table goals. At least I've got that monkey off my back. At long last!
Old 07-05-2014, 06:29 AM   #772
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I'm having trouble finding something to play that actually catches my attention. I decided to play a bit more Demon's Souls on PS3 with the PS4 controller now that it works, but it doesn't work for specific games, including Demon's Souls.

I have Don Bradman Cricket and MLB The Show which I have barely touched, but neither are doing it for me.

I am reduced to trawling through all the PS+ games (and old purchases) that I have in my download queue to see if anything pops out. Three options:

Spelunky Demo - don't like roguelikes
Shadow of the Colossus - didn't get on with the colossus climbing mechanics before
Pigsy's Perfect 10 DLC for Enslaved - hmmmm

Probably #2

I know, it's a hard life.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:10 PM   #773
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Rayman Fiesta Run (iOS): picked up a free download from Expedia and have been playing for the past week. Must say I really enjoy it for what it is, even with touch controls. Would recommend for a simple diversion, especially if you can still get the free download code.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:57 AM   #774
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Tried playing Shadow of the Colossus again; the mechanics have defeated me for the second time. I didn't even get past the first Colossus this time (last time I got to #2).
Old 07-08-2014, 11:41 PM   #775
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

After almost a month without picking up a bass, I got back to Rocksmith tonight. Glad I haven't completely forgotten the songs I've learned so far, just needed a little refreshing in score attack.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:39 AM   #776
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Driving a neat little BMW M3 GT2 in Assetto Corsa (the original M3 in action here). After my falling out with games in the wake of being disappointed by Dark Souls 2 (albeit on a high level) and other games just not being up to the task of replacing the original Dark Souls in my heart and mind, I threw myself into racing games once again.

Started with playing some GT6, some of the new seasonal events and such. Last week I decided to finally buy a racing wheel. Got a Logitech G27 and launched myself into F1 2012. It was not much fun when I bought it, playing with gamepad and all. With wheel it's a entirely different experience and so much fun... and then I went back to my early-access version of aforementioned Assetto Corsa (I bought months ago).

First I drove a little 500 Abarth-tuned Fiat around the track. Was slightly underwhelming. Then I misjudged braking distances with a street-legal M3 for a while, spending a lot of time offroad, experiencing the dual-motor force feedback (at least I got what I paid for). When shifting down I wrecked the engine. Not just the gearbox, the entire engine. Yay. Well, that's what you get when switching mechanical damage off I guess.

On a whim I tried to get a Ferrari F40 around Monza (the 1966 version of the track, which is mostly straight lines interrupted by a few bends). Needless to say, I crashed at the first sign of something not resembling a straight piece of road. After crashing around for a full lap, I managed to get an almost clean lap the second go. And another one. And that without any driving or braking assists or traction control. If you think Dark Souls is hard, try to drive a Ferrari F40 clean around the Nürburgring without assists on

Then I figured, since I safely got the F40 around Monza, might as well try one of the proper racing cars. So I tried the M3 and fell in love been doing practice laps around various tracks ever since.

Ah, in between I played Valiant Hearts, which is really lovely and amazing but suffers from the puzzles interrupting the flow. Haven't finished it yet.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:18 AM   #777
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I played a little bit of Sunless Sea over the weekend, after hearing a lot of praise for its writing. I knew going in that it was an Early Access game and that it wasn't complete yet, but I wasn't expecting to run into blocked off areas within hours of starting. I'm eager to play more, but I'll probably wait until the game officially launches.

The writing did have a special quality to it, and it led me to try Fallen London, the Interactive Fiction based browser game to which Sunless Sea is a sequel. I've fallen hard for that one. It keeps calling me delicious friend, and my inventory is bursting with whispered secrets, stolen kisses, and other odd currencies. I'm not sure there's a point to any of it yet, but I'm delighted.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #778
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I'm playing Metro: Last Light, which was a PS+ freebie a while back.

I'm enjoying it, it's more like a movie with occasional bits of FPS mixed in. Stealth is completely overpowered on Normal, which is fine by me.

The graphics are amazing, the only real fall in quality is for secondary NPCs who look a bit naff.

It has been very good so far; I'm only about a third of the way through it though so there is plenty of scope for it to go downhill.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:54 AM   #779
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Aaaargh.

I've been playing Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (PS+ freebie).

I'm conflicted. I'm only playing it because it is the most appealing game in my console queue. It's decent from an action rpg point of view, but is an extremely shallow experience. Now that I have done the a) get enough cash to b) get a decent weapon bits at the very start of the game, I don't think there is anything else there much. It's just going to be a plod through to the end of the game. Which is no good, really. Strangely, I do feel like starting it back up though.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #780
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Put a few hours into Shadowrun Returns (PC). Liking the atmosphere and writing a lot (though some typos and misspellings detract a small bit). Absolutely clueless as to the RPG elements, so have decided to concentrate on Willpower (Magic related) and Quickness (Ranged Weapon related) and ignore everything else.

It is extremely linear, with the RPG elements really only affecting some conversation choices being greyed out, as far as I can see. So if I have >5 in Charisma, I can get more for this bag of gems, otherwise I have to take what the dealer offers, that type of thing.

It may get more convoluted later, but I am enjoying the vibe for now, even if the gameplay seems to just be 'Do A, then B, then C, then D then E, in this order'.