About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 04-23-2014, 12:36 PM   #736
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: What are you playing right now?

Waiting for the PC version of Dark Souls 2. Other than that I don't feel like playing games. Post-Dark-Souls-depression I think. Starting any other game (except Demon's Souls or Dark Souls 1) would make me feel I'd rather play DS2 instead. My backlog is big enough to decorate all the walls in the house, but nothing really yells out "play me!".

For sure nothing fantasy or action-rpg-ish, that would just compare badly with DS. But what else?
Old 04-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #737
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Fez? You could pick up a cheap version of Beyond Two Souls now and see if me and Zanbatou are out of our gourds...
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #738
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I started a game of Out of the Park Baseball 15 despite my misgivings about the timesink it will turn into.

It's less stable - crashes to desktop means I had to enable auto-save every in-game week which is annoying. The crash in my case seemed to be when I checked the News/Mail section, hopefully they sort that out.

They have changed the menus significantly and it does appear that more clicks are required to get to where you want to go. Three clicks as opposed to two in this game is quite annoying; sounds like nothing but it is massively important to get to other screens economically.

Game itself seems even harder (I have trading and one other setting set to Hard as per usual). My team is so toothless it seems I lose whenever the other team put up more than two runs, or at least it seems that way. Free agents are expensive and this early (second season) you can't tell anything from their historical stats as they are assigned new ratings at the start of the game.

First season my record was 71-91 (W-L) and on 17 July in the second I am 42-46. Tough.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:15 PM   #739
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Fez? You could pick up a cheap version of Beyond Two Souls now and see if me and Zanbatou are out of our gourds...
You really want an answer to that question? ;-)

I think Fez is too long for that, it should be something short ans sweet. My last post-Dark-Souls game was Space Marine, which was an okish shooter but perfect to get me grounded after what was Dark Souls.

I think the upcoming Wolfenstein might be a case of good post-Dark-Souls-game. Especially after I read and heard this I am intrigued.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:19 AM   #740
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Yeah I was thinking something relaxing to play, nice colours & music etc. Papo & Yo and Brothers a Tale of Two Sons type of thing.

That is interesting about Wolfenstein's music, that's a pretty fun article.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:35 AM   #741
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Went back to playing Demon's Souls. Started a hunter woman and now run around with White Bow and enchanted Falchion. Finished 1-1, 1-2, 2-1 and the entire Shrine of Storms so far. I realized how little I actually know about Demon's Souls, for example I just found out about the White Bow.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #742
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I have been busy! I restarted Fez on the PS4 and am well through it now.

I played a little OOTP. I'm paralysed at the opening of free agency, as I believe I have a good team who are just underperforming, and 30m to spend on overpriced free agents). Think I will just sign a starting pitcher for next year when one of my existing starters will have to be traded.

I also started up The Last Federation. You play as an interplanetary mercenary who is trying to unite the spacefaring races into a federation, by fair means or foul.

The first thing I did was rename my character from Hydrals to Pete. The next screen showed me Pete:

The game seems good, and has a good sense of humour - I can hire Scientist Goons for example:

You unite the races (and in some cases destroy them) by influencing their societies infrastructure, technology etc, and by doing missions for them. This gains you influence which you can use later when uniting them.

I have just smuggled space-going technology to the two most vicious races in existence. Well, how was I to know? Everybody else will thank me later, I am sure.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:45 AM   #743
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Played 2048 quite often last week.
Reached two times 1024 so far. Every time i get to the first 512, one false move is often already the last.
Great little game. Like it certainly more than 3+5 or other variants of the same formula.

Started Muramasa Rebirth.
Gorgeous Ubiart-engine like graphics, reminds me also slightly of Bayonetta, just in 2D. But god damn... why no one learns from the way Nintendo does tutorials. The way Muramasa did it is the same nonsense as many other in your face tutorials where i end up knowing not more than how to move after half an hour of being told how to do this and that and that and that and that... I learn a gazillion of moves in one big block and should memorize them all at once?
Give me a break and let me get familiar with one thing before getting to the next thing. Spread it over the entire or the first half of the game. In the end i will naturally get to know all i need and never have to open the non existent manual and never search the internet for advice which i certainly will have to do when its done in this way.
If i ever restart it. This pisses me really off.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:45 AM   #744
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Back to Demon's Souls and I got hooked again. Instead of playing shiny new Dark Souls 2 I played my White Bow archer Evlana in Demon's Souls until pretty much the end. Only bosses left are the Old Monk and the False King himself.

I got invaded two times and managed to kill the invader both times. Either those invaders got worse or I am now a man among gods, because they didn't seem to stand a chance while I was stomped into the ground by every invader in my first attempt at Demon's Souls to the point where I ran around almost exclusively in Soul form. This time however: body form most of the time. The only boss that managed to kill me once was Flamelurker, but even him I almost had at first try. He just ripped me apart when I got to greedy, seeing how little of his lifebar was left...

I found the White Bow makes much of the game a walk in the park. Some bosses were super easy to beat: Penetrator, especially with Bjorr's help, was a joke. I could play MC Hammer in the background.

Tower Knight couldn't even hit me from the spot where I was raining arrows at him (just put MC Hammer on repeat). Adjucator just required me to run around him in circles and shoot the silly bird off his head; Old Hero didn't even know what hit him; Storm King was toast without the need for funky swords; Armor Spider had only one attack that could hurt me and I could out-grass her in case I was so ham-fisted that I didn't manage to hit the dodge-button; for Dragon God I didn't even need to walk down, just finished him off from atop; Fool's Idol stopped laughing quickly; Saint Astrea's healing miracle I could simply out-dps with the White Bow from elevated position, even with regular arrows.

The only bosses that posed some sort of challenge were Flamelurker (obviously), Man Eaters (mainly because of the narrow space to fight them on) and the Defilement-bosses. I forgot to pack fire arrows, so I needed to approach the leechmonger in melee and the dirty colossus gave me some trouble with his shotgun-like mosquito-blast. That said: since I got the Firestorm in order to emulate Longbow Oolan, they were not much of a problem once I got close enough. Garl Vinland was a bit annoying, but since I could interrupt every attempt of healing he was just a matter of time. Bow beats big hammer.

Now I am pondering if I should try to get more spiderstone for a sticky longbow +5 (I have one +1 so far), so that I could go on in NG+ with this character. Or perhaps I try something completely different... I haven't attempted a SL1 run in Demon's Souls yet...
Old 05-06-2014, 01:48 PM   #745
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Jesus, that is fast work.

It is true that a lot of the bosses in Demons are pushovers, I quite like that.

You shot Maiden Astraea! You monster! I didn't even know you could attack her instead of Garl until recently. Garl is a real pain in the nuts (esp Black Phantom Garl), I tend to jump over the side of the platform opposite and make him run down as I don't like fighting him up the path.

You should do the Platinum trophy. Spreadsheets....(and more lore from the new weapons I guess).

EDIT: I played Threes for a while last month Crackajack, excellent game but I always felt there was a strategy just out of reach for me (as opposed to dumb luck). I'm sure there is one.

I am playing Call of Juarez Gunslinger. It is ok. An arcade shooter in the Bulletstorm style, with points awarded for headshots etc. Not sure why it was so well received. I just want to get it over with really.

Last edited by Pedro; 05-06-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:37 PM   #746
JLB1987
Sex machine

Prison Architect Exactly the sort of Theme-style game I've been looking for. Completely open-ended, to the point you start off confused after a bizarre tutorial (they opt to show you a feature which has no purpose yet, the electric chair), but this is what makes the game great. There are "grants" you can take, which are a bit like structured missions with goals, like "build such-and-such", or "hire a thingy", which sort of puts you on the right track. I love the presentation- the simple graphics look great, and the UI could do with a bit of work, but is very clear in general. Very polished alpha.

My one criticism is it only seems manageable to build a prison slowly. I spent ages using the planning tool to create a ready-made prison before I took on any inmates. Built the most important rooms, got some inmates, and within two days I had a riot. Which was hilarious, but you seem to need to unlock certain things via a research tree, and having a relatively complex jail from the start makes it difficult to manage. However, building a very small prison and upgrading it seems like a lot of effort in itself, trying to upgrade whilst prisoners aren't wandering around and possibly escaping because of a badly-time demolished wall. It'll be fun finding solutions to each of these, though.

Currently playing: Prison Architect, Serious Sam HD

Last edited by JLB1987; 05-16-2014 at 11:41 PM.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:50 AM   #747
crackajack
64-bit Poster

I hardly touch car or in this case bike (Moto GP 13) settings in racing games, only if i absolutely have to.
Moto 3 class wasn't that hard at all, but the Moto2 class machines have already enough power to make me spin when accelerating out of every curve or block the front wheel when breaking and steering just a little. Imo not possible with the Vita shoulder buttons and those small sticks to control smoothly.
So i tried the settings for dummies thing where you answer what feels wrong when driving and in the end they change this and that.
It's still a bit wonky but at least a lot better.
Nice little automated help i never saw before in a racing game. Good work on that part. Not so good work to give me that unbalanced beginner set up from the start.
Those settings should be for racing experts that want to have a harder handling but faster bike/car.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #748
Pedro
64-bit Poster

OOTP time of year again!

Three years just barely holding onto my job followed by my rebuilding programme kicking in big time with two World Series (and an amazing lineup for probably the next four years):

Old 05-25-2014, 11:14 AM   #749
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Transistor (PS4)

Played an hour or so of this. Not too interesting really, from the Bastion team. Lots of turn-based combat where you are simultaneously being chased around the area by the enemies in real time. A bit odd.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:17 PM   #750
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I'm an hour or so into Transistor as well, on the PC. The thing I'm enjoying most is the game's mystery. I don't really know who my character is yet, or how the world works, but so far the game has done a great job at teasing just enough information to stay intriguing without giving everything away. I still have high hopes for this game.

Last edited by Zanbatou; 05-25-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote