About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 06-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #586
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: What are you playing right now?

I bought the Last of Us! Now I just need time to actually play it... :-/
Old 06-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #587
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I was shocked and disgusted to find it was another Zombie game (will they ever end?), but I have kind of convinced myself to buy it Thursday. First AAA game of this year!

(apart from MLB The Show).
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #588
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

For me it's the second, after Bioshock Infinite, which I still didn't finish. Also, Torchlight is free at gog.com at the moment. And almost everything is 50% off. I bought Far Cry 2. No idea when I'll have time to play that, but it was half price so that's ok
Old 06-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #589
QXZ
They hit me with a truck

Send a message via AIM to QXZ Send a message via Yahoo to QXZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by QXZ View Post
A couple weeks ago, I had mentioned some of the multiplayer mode's problems, and had stated that "the jury's still out on whether or not [the attack dogs are] completely broken". Well, the jury's reached a verdict, and the overwhelming majority says "broken!"

Just to give you an idea as to why this conclusion was rached, in the first Black Ops game, if an enemy team in multiplayer called in enemy dogs, it was possible to find a hiding place, defend it with a claymore, and have the mutts trigger an explosion. In Black Ops 2, even if you do find a nice place to brace for contact, enemy dogs can harmlessly pass by any shock charges or proximity explosives that can temporarily paralyze, injure, or kill a human enemy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
Such a shame. To be honest, even as a COD n00b, I didn't find it too difficult to defend against dogs just using a knife in BlOps, but that just sounds like the game is plain broken. Still on the fence about buying it, I hear the new zombies mode is really good.
Two questions for you: (1) Which version of the game were you playing, and (2) was this from online play or not? My experience with Black Ops' multiplayer is exclusively from online play on the PS3, and I've found it virtually impossible to knife enemy dogs with any consistency. Of course, as mentioned earlier, this stems from the "six shots fired, two shots register" issue that's annoyed me to no end.

I'm not saying that Black Ops 2's multiplayer component is outright terrible; there are some positive qualities to be witnessed. I just wish Treyarch had done more -- scratch that -- if Treyarch had done ANYTHING to fix the technical and design problems that plagued BO1.

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
-- Adam Savage of
Mythbusters

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.co.../GreenPuyo.png
QXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:17 AM   #590
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

To chip into the Blops discussion: I've played a bit multiplayer with the PS3 version, which was abysmal after playing a bit modern warfare on pc online.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #591
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Have played 2hrs 18 minutes of The Last of Us (have a day off work today).

Ehhhhhhhhh......it's OK. Little shooty or stealth arenas linked by corridors so far. The story and cut scenes have been very well delivered.

Jury still out.

[Edit] Oh, I also picked up Kane and Lynch 2 for 5 euros so hopefully can convince my brother to pick it up for co op shenanigans.

I only got 12 Euros for Fifa 13. Should have kept it
Old 06-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #592
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I have removed the shrink wrap of the Last of Us and was smelling the disk and packaging. Hope to get playing on Saturday. Will buy some baked beans and cook them over open fire to get into the survival mood.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #593
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
For me it's the second, after Bioshock Infinite, which I still didn't finish. Also, Torchlight is free at gog.com at the moment. And almost everything is 50% off. I bought Far Cry 2. No idea when I'll have time to play that, but it was half price so that's ok
If they took another 50% off the price of Far Cry 2... that still wouldn't be enough to make me want to play it again that said, I really, really want to try Far Cry 3, and am even considering purchasing Blood Dragon over the next couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QXY
Two questions for you: (1) Which version of the game were you playing, and (2) was this from online play or not? My experience with Black Ops' multiplayer is exclusively from online play on the PS3, and I've found it virtually impossible to knife enemy dogs with any consistency. Of course, as mentioned earlier, this stems from the "six shots fired, two shots register" issue that's annoyed me to no end.
Xbox 360, and yep, online play. I've got a pretty good internet connection, and I would imagine the money I pay Microsoft for a gold account would allow them to offer a better online experience than Sony. Perhaps that's it, perhaps not. Whilst I'd totally agree that the game is unbalanced after reading your thoughts on it and playing the game a bit more, on a technical level I've almost no complaints. That said, most of my time is spent on zombies now.

Currently playing: Prison Architect, Serious Sam HD
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #594
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Wait, Far Cry 2? Oh man, you will love it! I often look at it and wish I could play it for the first time again.

[Edit]. You may not love it
Old 06-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #595
JLB1987
Sex machine

I wish I could go back to the first time I played it, and un-play it.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:59 AM   #596
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I wish I'd have the time to play it in the first place

My current to play list:
Bioshock Infinite (halfway through)
The Last of Us (shrink wrap removed)
Far Cry 2
The Cat Lady
Strike Suit Zero
Crusader Kings 2

Still want to play more of:
Dark Souls
Mount & Blade: Warband (my warrior princess and champion of the people will not rest until every man, woman and child are free from oppression!)
Mechwarrior Online
Old 06-22-2013, 03:53 AM   #597
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Played a very short burst of The Last of Us last night - it was quite scary. The session stopped pretty abruptly when I had to progress through a small room with 4-5 zombies in it - looks like I'll have to use some strategy to progress.

I also downloaded Everybody's Golf World Tour (7.5 GB!? Wtf?) which was on sale for €6. And the demos of Top Spin 4 (I might buy this) and NCAA Football 14 (won't buy this).

Everybody's Golf World Tour is fun. Ladybirds (US: Ladybugs) landing on golf balls and the like. Cute.

And rock hard.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #598
JLB1987
Sex machine

I miss the Everybody's Golf series. I've been searching for a decent alternative on the Xbox, but no luck so far. By far my favourite sports game.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #599
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I would like to say I finished LotR: War in the North, but unfortunately we hit a massive bug quite near the end - a boss failed to materialise, so we were left in the boss arena with epic music playing and nothing to do.

Can't even get back out of the arena because there's a step.

My brother joined a public game in the previous level in an attempt to reset this level for us, but then that level broke once they killed the boss - the event that transitioned them to the next level didn't trigger. He said he left that guy combing the level for an enemy they might have missed.

Maybe it is my brother's fault. Suspicious.

So beware - it's a good co op game but chances are you will not finish it. When looking for a solution I saw this issue (end of level triggers) was common. There was one dude who got stuck in level 2, so we were lucky really
Old 06-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #600
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Continued Bioshock Infinite in my quest to reduce my backlog and... well... would be a much nicer game without all the shooting in between. The shooting isn't especially engaging or tactical or deep. Most opposition can be cleared with overwhelming firepower and if things go wrong I respawn with little penalty (some cash lost, woo hoo...). I know there is a 1999 mode that would ramp up the difficulty but that wouldn't improve the lackluster shooty bits. Weapons simply lack impact. A mp or machine gun is chipping away health so slowly that I wonder if I get further by trying to tickle the enemies to death and even the hard hitting weapons miss a certain oomph.

I really liked the first part which was essentially sightseeing in Columbia. Since Bioshock degraded into a corridor shooter I'm catching myself checking the clock every 15 minutes or so and it doesn't seem go any quicker.