About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 06-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #256
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Re: What are you playing right now?

Finally bought Dead Island, in order to play co-op with my brother. He has a very limited gaming schedule so I thought I'd just log on for a look; four hours later I had brought my character to level 10.

I followed that up today by bringing all four characters through the first chapter of the game.

There doesn't seem to be much differentiation in the chars - for example the sharp weapons girl has 10% more stamina than the gun expert, but 10% less health - and they all play the same at the start of the game. I expect the skill trees will be the big modifiers here.

It's one of those games where you're going, 'Just one more quest', and it's a lot of fun so far.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #257
JLB1987
Sex machine

Fallout New Vegas, still.

Taking me a while to make it through this. Very mixed feelings, and overall more negative than I was towards Fallout 3.

I've reached the New Vegas strip itself, and it's just endless "walk here, talk to this person, walk here, talk to this person, walk back to original person, speak to another person..." I'm very lucky if I get to shoot someone in the face with my Magnum at the moment. I'm not complaining that there's not enough action, but if they're going to make talking and diplomacy an integral part of the game, they needed to make it more interesting- not a virtual form of chinese whispers, barely any better than a generic fetch-quest.

Well, I made it to Benny and he got away, so I now have to mess around finding him. I really like the story, and at the moment it's my only incentive to keep playing.

Ergh, it's just even duller than Fallout 3. At least that one seemed too be able to keep the momentum going the majority of the time. I tend to play New Vegas before I go to bed, because it makes me sleepy.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #258
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

started Driver: San Francisco-

pretty amusing being able to body jump to any vehicle on the road.. good way of handling the different quests, which are just driving mini-games. All the cars have that beefy yet slippery muscle car handling... I did get a little motion sickness-y playing. But just on first impressions, very funny, entertaining.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #259
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
Well, I made it to Benny and he got away, so I now have to mess around finding him. I really like the story, and at the moment it's my only incentive to keep playing.
A very strange thing happened me when I got to this point. I was playing a female character, and when I finally caught up to my erstwhile would-be-murderer, I...went to bed with him.

I'm still confused about it.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #260
JLB1987
Sex machine

My big weapon probably scared him off. The carbine assault rifle probably didn't help matters, either.

I do make myself giggle.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #261
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Didn't have much time to play lately, only some New Star Soccer on my iPod (which is brilliant) and today some Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition on my pc. For anyone never heard of it: Blood Bowl is some fantasy american football boardgame from games workshop, which has been translated into a video game. I only played 3 games with my newly created 'Howling Griffon'-team in the campaign mode and already went through a lot of very conflicting emotions: joy, fear, anger, triumph, hatred. There is something to say about tactics games where even the best tactic can be easily undermined by one unlucky diceroll, where I loose the rest of my turn.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #262
Pedro
128-bit Poster

I'm also playing New Star Soccer and so is everyone I know! They must be making a fortune.

I like it, but the campaign feels like I am a rat in a cage pressing a button for food. Buy some energy drinks, practice, play game, repeat...

The arcade mode at the start is driving me nuts. 29 goals...I see the leader has 115.

Blood Bowl, eh? Have you joined a league yet? The game has always intrigued me but I have always resisted buying it.

I am still playing Dragon's Dogma. It's turning into a bit of a grind now, not helped by the map markers for quests being crazy. If anyone is looking for Jasper's brat, he's on top of the fucking barn roof. You can climb up the building next door.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:16 AM   #263
Doug Troy
Surly McDouchebag

I just finished the single player for Spec Ops: The Line. I'll try to keep it vague below.

Wow. A pedestrian first half that goes insane for the middle arc and then full-on bugfuck crazypants for the ending.

I wish the story and the aesthetics and the acting had been paired with better gameplay mechanics, because some of the stuff this game pulls off in the campaign story is phenomenal and an amazing counterpoint to the "RAH RAH SHOOT ALL THE DUDES OSCAR MIKE" shooters we've been getting for the last half-decade.

Small tidbit: the loading screens become amazing for the last bit. I won't say how or why, I'll just say that Yager pulled off something special from a narrative standpoint and it almost finds a way to reignite the 'games as art' debate.
"I actually talked to an Iraqi cabdriver last year in Salt Lake City about the war. He said it was like the US came and weeded his garden, but pulled out most of the vegetables in the process. Needless to say, he had mixed feelings. So I stiffed him on the tip. USA! USA! USA!"
Doug Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #264
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Really? I was going to wait for price cuts but I may get this now. It would be a pity if it's that good and doesn't sell well.

Besides, I have Dragon's Dogma to trade against it.

I haven't actually managed to finish it despite my best attempts; I'm now in the final boss battle against the dragon, and 90 minutes into the battle I've only taken 2 health bars off him (out of ten). In that 90 mins there were a lot of cutscenes, and very impressive sub-battles, but now I'm in the main arena and there is no way I'm spending another 2 hours on this fight. I'm either woefully underlevelled for this fight, or I've messed it up beyond repair in some other way.

It's a shame, as it is a really good game overall and I would encourage you to buy it. Does so much right, and I even ejoyed all the cheesy pawn dialogue which made it seem that you were dragging around a bunch of idiot-savants the whole game. Makes me smile even now!
Old 07-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #265
Doug Troy
Surly McDouchebag

It's short and sadly the multiplayer is a bad afterthought.

You might be served well by a price drop as the game isn't the longest (let's say 6-8 hours). However, the story it tells is damn good and the environments are rather striking.

I'm meaning to play through it again just to see how doing things differently changes dialog and visuals near the endgame, but those final chapters and the ending punched me in the gut good and I'm having a hard time getting in the mood for round two.

Maybe tomorrow, because I am really curious to see what I can do to change how the game acts towards me.
"I actually talked to an Iraqi cabdriver last year in Salt Lake City about the war. He said it was like the US came and weeded his garden, but pulled out most of the vegetables in the process. Needless to say, he had mixed feelings. So I stiffed him on the tip. USA! USA! USA!"
Old 07-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #266
Pedro
128-bit Poster

No worries, I'd actually prefer if all games were 6-8 hours long! That's the ideal length for me.

On-topic, I'm revisiting Rage at the moment. I played through the first two hours before and wasn't hugely impressed but this time I am. The environments are amazingly detailed, and the graphics fantastic. Gameplay is grand, shooting is fairly tight and there's a bit of racing mixed in to keep it fresh. Don't know why it bombed so badly; I picked it up for pennies. It's not outstanding by any means but I can't help but feel sorry for the developers who obviously gave it their all here.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #267
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

I loved the sun-drenched proto-western vibe of the first part, but once you leave that everything gets dark and ugly looking and all the characters and missions start to feel the same..

It pissed me off.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #268
Doug Troy
Surly McDouchebag

Here's the winning strategy for Rage: get good at wingsticks, win at everything.

Seriously, once you upgrade the wingsticks and get good with you, you are unstoppable. It's the only weapon I used for the "final" battle and I don't even think I took damage.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #269
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
the sun-drenched proto-western vibe
I like that.

Yeah, the wingsticks are great. I'm hoping to just blast through it anyway, get it done with.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #270
JLB1987
Sex machine

Bought the Guitar Hero 6 (or whatever ridiculous subtitle it has) band bundle for my woman's birthday, as she mentioned a couple of times that she wanted to buy it. I can't really stand GH games normally- I get the appeal, but as someone who attempts to play actual guitar, it feels like a waste of time, and don't really enjoy it. However, the inclusion of drums changes this- means I can actually play multiplayer with her (she seems to hate playing the drums, so it works out).

Really enjoying it- it still feels like the fast-food equivalent of video games; that is, quick and easy to get into, but no real substance or long-term enjoyment. I can't play for more than half an hour without getting a bit bored. But that doesn't matter when so much fun can be had from it in short bursts, on multiplayer at least.