About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 01-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #166
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Re: What are you playing right now?

Just installing Rage now - my third shooter in a row. I really need something different - I think I'll go out and buy Catherine or Alice: Madness Returns this weekend.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #167
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Gears of War 2
Glad that i only borrowed it and so did not support Epic.
Even worse than the first one.

Planescape Torment
Installed all mods like gog suggested. Looks surprisingly good maxed to the native resolution of my screen.
Starts very promising. Morte is much more likable than Navi.

Line Runner
Similar to The impossible game. Hard, simple graphics, fun.

Pixel Rain
fine puzzle game
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #168
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

As I mentioned in the respective thread, I've been continuing with the Witcher 2. It's still annoying in places, but currently the good parts outweigh the bad parts. Now in chapter 3 and I start getting lost in weird fantasy names. A couple of different leaders gathered for a peace talk and everyone apparently has their army with them. That will be a hell of a peace talk!

In between I'm playing levels of Rayman Origins. So lovely!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #169
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
Planescape Torment
Installed all mods like gog suggested. Looks surprisingly good maxed to the native resolution of my screen.
Starts very promising. Morte is much more likable than Navi.
How are you getting on with this? It should be right up my street but I've started twice and stopped playing just after the Mortuary both times. I can't seem to get on with it.

I'm dipping into a few games - I started Rage, which is pretty but also pretty uninspired; I'm inching my way through Gran Turismo 5, and a bit of Madden.

I started up Skyrim again but the combat is so atrocious I now find it a bit offputting (55 hours played). And last night my brother and I hooked up in co-op to finish off Super Ornstein in Dark Souls NG+. Woot!
Old 02-03-2012, 03:17 AM   #170
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I went to Total War: Shogun 2. I explain in length how that works out in the corresponding forum thread here.

I also got Modern Warfare 3, to play the spec-ops mode with a friend. I was dipping my toe into the single player campaign, because I didn't play a fps on pc for a while and wanted to get some practice. Its still a pretty corridor shooter with lots of explosions. It's done way better than previous iterations - except the sublime Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - in terms of pacing. Some of the set-pieces are excellent, I love the part on the airplane. But I really wonder where they can go from here.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:06 AM   #171
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Star Wars: The Old Republic playing a Twi'lek Jedi until level 11 now. A lot of fun, usually I don't play any mmo past the starting area (except WoW years ago) but here I see myself playing quite a bit further.

From Dust nice little puzzle game. However, the same unskippable cutscene between levels is annoying.

Halo 3: ODST started and put back to the shelf until I have a HDMI cable for my new xbox. With the normal cable and 480p resolution resulting in blurry visuals, this game is so ugly that not even a mother could love it.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #172
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I'm champing at the bit to play some PC games, but my PC is still getting repaired, so I've started back into Skyrim again. The spongy combat is soul destroying.

For a while I was overcome with ennui, and just rode around listlessly. However, I've decided to finish out the main quest at least, and see if it grabs me again.

My stealthy infiltration of the Thalmor Embassy did not end well....
Old 02-28-2012, 05:13 AM   #173
JLB1987
Sex machine

Playing Dawn Of War at the moment. Picked this, and all of the expansions, up in a recent Steam sale. I love it. I'm not the biggest RTS player in the world, but this game gets so much right, I can't imagine going back to something like Command & Conquer now. I love how units operate in groups rather than individually. The AI is genuinely interesting to play against (you have to pick the right times to fight, retreat, chase after the enemy or leave them, etc). At the moment, the units I can choose from are a bit limited, but I'm only fairly early on in the campaign, so hopefully I'll get access to more shit soon.

Overall, very impressed. Will persevere for a while.

Last edited by JLB1987; 02-28-2012 at 05:49 PM.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #174
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney: And Justice for All-

heaven.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:28 AM   #175
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Stopped playing the old Republic (might write more about that in the respective thread) and yesterday my copy of Binary Domain arrived!

So far I'm loving it! I'm only 2 hours in, thus it can all go wrong still. I like the atmosphere (despite some crude racial stereotypes on display) and killing robots hasn't been as satisfying since Vanquish. The voice commands don't work all the time. My AI partners often hear "damn" or "sorry" when I actually said something entirely different. That confuses the hell out of them it seems. They must think I have Tourette syndrom or something similar. Apart from my main characters mental disorder I'm currently having a blast. When the voice commands work as intended they really add something to the game. I think that's the future for squad based or tactics oriented shooters. Kinect is supposed to have voice recognizion and all that stuff, why don't we see 20 or so Clancy games utilizing this technology, when Binary Domain manages this with a 15 headset already?
Old 03-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #176
Muffin Militia
New Poster

Rep Power: 0 Muffin Militia is an unknown quantity at this point

Dark Souls (in a few days) (Xbox 360)

I am waiting for Dark Souls to arriven in mail. I am very excited to see what the fuss is about as I haven't ever seen anyone play it; however after hearing those horror stories about how people did something wrong which forced them to restart (curse, cant get out of an area) I am slightly worried.

League of Legends (PC)

I was an avid fan of Warcraft III and all it's custom maps from tower defense to dota. League of Legends is a fun little game based on Dota; you choose your champion and then battle 5vs5 or 3vs3 in the arena. Has some strategy to it, so not it's not completely mindless either. But the community is absolutely horrible.

Mass Effect 2 (PC)

Trying to replay ME2 as I lost my save file. After that, I will play ME3. The only problem is, ME2 is slightly... tedious, and playing it just for the sake of the savefile is not fun. So that's on halt right now.
Muffin Militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #177
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Playing Mass Effect 3 and so far it's great!
Old 03-22-2012, 06:55 AM   #178
JLB1987
Sex machine

Got me a shiny new PSVita a couple of weeks back, and have played it enough to form an opinion on the games I've got for it.

Everybody's Golf
This is the game that single-handedly got me to buy a Vita. I loved Everybody's Golf on the PS2, and the promise of added online features was too tempting for me to pass up. It plays the same as ever; that is, a solid, responsive, golf sim that, whilst accessible and arcade-y, is also nuanced enough that the more you play, the more you'll get out of it.

I'm a fair way through the challenge mode, and I like how it is structured- each level has four sets of nine holes to play, one 18 hole round, and a vs. against a secret character who, if beaten, will then be availiable for you to buy via the in-game points. Whilst there only seem to be six courses, various rules mix things up and prevent it all from becoming stale.

The online mode is a lot of fun; each day there are three tournaments you can enter which, when completed, will put you on a scoreboard, where you can see how you compare to everyone else around the world who has competed. I'm currently in the top 16% of players, which I'm pretty pleased about, and have had a lot of fun getting there. You also have tournaments where you are playing against human players in real-time. This is fun, but it's a pain having to wait around whilst everyone else finishes their round. Worse still, if everyone has finished a hole, you STILL have to wait until the next round- the time for each round is fixed, so even if everyone is ready to move onto the next hole, you have to wait. It only adds a matter of minutes onto each of these mini-tournments, but still, it's an oversight which prevents me playing directly against others as often as I would.

Overall, a great game. Sounds stupid buying a whole new system for a golf game, but I play this the most, and love it.

Rayman Origins
I bought my Vita online, with a bundle that included the Vita, an 8GB memory card, and one of a number of games. Most of the games didn't really interest me, so I gave Rayman Origins a go after hearing good things on the home console releases.

I haven't really played any of the series since the first game (which I loved), and I guess this plays similarly to that, except maybe not as hardcore difficulty-wise (so far). No multi-player, just a ghost feature where you can post your speed runs through a level online for others to try and beat, which I havent, and won't, bother using. It's a shame there is no multi-player; you have these other characters you can play as (Globox and co.), but without other people being able to play with you, it just feels pointless, and like there is a bit of the game missing.

The gameplay itself is great. It's all bright and cheerful, it looks great, the soundtrack fits perfectly... It is, from what I've heard, the same game released for the main consoles. There are added touch screen controls, and whilst these are optional, you need to use them if collecting everything in a stage is important to you. Which, if you're playing a platforming game like this, probably will be. For example, every time you punch an enemy, instead of dying, they swell up into a balloon and slowly start rising to the top of the screen, before disappearing . You can pop them by getting Rayman to touch them, or you can use the touch screen, all for a single lum. The latter is the easier option the majority of the time, but it's a pain to have to do. Feels tacked on, but if you wanna reach the target for the number of lums collected, you have to get used to it.

Great game otherwise though; I'm having a lot of fun going back to levels and doing the time trials/ item collecting, there's a lot of replayabililty here.

Motorstorm RC
Saw this on the playstation store, and thought, "What the hell, I'll give it a try". It's less than 5, so even if it's not my sort of thing, I figured I've just got a new game for ultra-cheap. Well, the first thing I discovered is that whilst you get most of the game, some of the cars have to be bought. If I had known this, I wouldn't have bought the game, as I'm rabidly opposed to DLC. My fault, should have done my homework.

Putting aside my misgivings regarding this, it's quite a good game. Like the old Micro Machines games. You see the course from above, and you use the Vita's analogue sticks to control your little RC car like you would in real life. It's shallow fun, but I've enjoyed my time with it so far. A few different game modes (race, time trial, one where you drift to score points, and one where you have to overtake a given number of cars as quickly as you can), but I can't play it for more than twenty minutes 'cos it does get a bit boring. Good game, ideal for dipping into occasionally.

So there you go. It is the games that make a console, and so far, I don't regret adopting the Vita one bit. I look forward to seeing some new releases during the next few months.

Bit of a rushed write-up, but I hope it helps anyone thinking about getting the Vita
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #179
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Kirby's Return to Dreamland: Began playing two-player co-op with the wife, but she got board so now I'm going solo. Okay game, but not all that challenging.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #180
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Portal 2 & Super Princess Peach (because I can)
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote