About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #121
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: Dark Souls (previously Project Dark)

My SL1 run is now in Anor Londo, next up are Ornstein & Smough.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #122
JLB1987
Sex machine

Starting this bad boy up again myself (regular edition, not buying the whole thing again and not connected, so can't download the DLC). finding it easier this time. Could be due to knowing what to expect, could be down to using a warrior instead of a wanderer. Any idea what I should be putting the most points into? I'm thinking endurance, for the benefit to blocking and how much I can attack. Complete n00b, still feel way out of my element.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #123
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Endurance is always good. Should be at about the same level as your primary damage attribute. Your primary damage attribute is either:
Strength - for big, heavy weapons (axes, greatswords, etc.)
Dexterity - for fast, nimble and fencing weapons (rapier, scimitar, etc.)
Intelligence - for magic and damage from magic/enchanted weapons
Faith - for miracles and damage from divine/occult weapons

Pick your preferred playstyle and put your points in it. Raise vitality each time you get the feeling you die too quickly. For spells and such you need attunement. That's it. Do not raise the resistance attribute. That's pretty much useless.

Also, upgrading gear might be even more important than stats. I just went with a level 1 character all the way to anor londo, but I would have gone insane without upgraded gear
Old 10-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #124
JLB1987
Sex machine

Excellent, thanks. Last time I went for a strong but nimble character, which worked to some extent, but he just couldn't take many hits. I think I'm just going to build a tank- good at blocking and taking hits, dishes out lots of damage, moves for no man or demon.

I'd love to have the guts to try out a sorcerer, but. I've always found magic users in videogames to be highly inaccessible, so will stick to what I know best- hitting stuff with a big axe. I'd think this game wasn't for me if I wasn't having so much fun all over again...
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:56 AM   #125
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
My SL1 run is now in Anor Londo, next up are Ornstein & Smough.
Whoah, tell us more! How did you beat the gargoyles? Did you do much differently from a normal run-through? Have you a plan? How do you plan on defeating the Four Kings? Are you able to hold a shield without getting crushed at the first blow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
I'd love to have the guts to try out a sorcerer, but. I've always found magic users in videogames to be highly inaccessible, so will stick to what I know best- hitting stuff with a big axe. I'd think this game wasn't for me if I wasn't having so much fun all over again...

This is me too, though I favour a shield and sword. Magic? P'shaw! Don't bother with all the stat-based shenanigans for now - my usual style is to switch weapons when I find one that deals appreciably more damage than the one I'm wielding. And I barely look at the stats - it's all done on a visual damage-type model

Endurance is most important here; strength only if you see a particularly impressive weapon you'd like that has a strength requirement.

Have fun!

Also, don't be afraid to summon people. I was reluctant to do that at times (I actually forgot to pick up the summoning gear from Solaire too) and I struggled to the point of frustration at times.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #126
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Whoah, tell us more! How did you beat the gargoyles? Did you do much differently from a normal run-through? Have you a plan? How do you plan on defeating the Four Kings? Are you able to hold a shield without getting crushed at the first blow?
The gargoyles are pretty easy and there are 2 summons that can be used anyway. A reinforced club+5 with lightning-damage due to pine resin does lot of damage to them. The toughest so far was Queelagh, who I got in the 3rd attempt. That of course changes with O&S, who already stomped my first attempt to beat them quite impressively.

Overall I died the most so far trying to find a good way through the catacombs, given I have only 8 faith and hence with divine weapons it would take me ages to take out those skeletons. As long as their necromancers are alive kicking them off the cliffs won't work since they would just wait for me downstairs. Running to the first necromancer was not the problem, the second I could backstab before his skeletons swarmed me. I also died a couple of times on the way to and from switches for the rotating platforms. The third necro I ignored and rolled down to the next level to get the shortcut to Vamos, where I tore up the next necromancer on the way. After dying again for a couple of times trying to deal with the bonewheels, I jumped down a slightly different route and summoned Paladin Leeroy, who I just found out about on my last run through by accident. From his summoning spot it's also possible to dash past the bonewheel skeletons and straight to Pinwheel, who is no challange even with SL1. Especially with Leeroy around to draw some of the fire.

The main difference (apart from not levelling, of course ) is the rather limiting selection of weapons, shields and armor to use. Pyromancer has 12 strength but only 9 dexterity, which means he can't use a lot of regular swords already. Let's not even talk about heavy stuff. So I'm went for the reinforced club and the battleaxe in the beginning. Brought them first to +5 and after getting the large ember I made a Raw Battleaxe+5 and got magic weapon, which gives a small damage boost for a short time. But when you're at that level you take everything you get.

I'm not wearing much armor, since I need to be able to roll. I now have a Balder Shield (previously used a heater shield) which is good for blocking, but the low stamina still condemns me to stay on the defensive without being able to attack against some enemies. Dodge and parry are necessary to get further. I also let Lautrec have his way with the firekeeper, so that I can get the dingy set, which has good magic and curse resistance, which I'll need for Seath (if I ever get that far ).

Now I'm having a reinforced mace in both the fire and lightning-variation and I think I should get them upgraded to maximum as soon as possible. The raw battleaxe will be brought to the normal upgrade path and to +14 once I got the very large ember. To +15 if I manage to get more slabs, but in my current condition I'm not sure how I should beat Kalameet to get his slab (actually, maybe it's possible to get the slab quickly and die my way out of the arena, have to try)

The four Kings will be fun... I'll upgrade my lightning club to +5 first anyway and will try power within and/or the red tearstone ring to get the damage needed. If I miss one dodge I'll be toast.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #127
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Great update! Wow, I hadn't thought about the amount of planning that must go into this type of thing.

I haven't ever seen that place where Leeroy can be summoned either? Is it on that series of cliffs that you can shortcut past the pinwheels with? I hate those goddam pinwheels/bonewheels. I was surprised that you went for the catacombs so early but of course you need Pinwheel's extra flasks to give you a fighting chance.

Things have come to a pretty pass when you are scavenging around for things like the Dingy Set! Who would have thought that would be useful...

I started a Faith character the other day and played through to Andre. I am not feeling the love for this character though - where is the fun I have heard of? (Though in fairness, I am basing my character choice on a random post on RPS saying A faith-based character is a lot of fun).

If I roleplay and just use the Miracles rather than Pyromancy or Sorcery, I may see it after a while.

And Astora's sword is the bees knees for the early game. As much of a cheat weapon as the Drake Sword. However I will take your advice and upgrade some other weapons accordingly. Not sure what, I liked the Mace the cleric started with but I need to branch out from one hander + shield territory.

Have you killed the Two Ronnies yet?
Old 10-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #128
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Hah, finally! Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid saw their last sunrise. Once that was done I went ahead and killed Lautrec and his entourage, de-flooded New Londo to get the very large ember and chopped the Stray Demon to pieces.

I'm contemplating if I should take on Seath or the Bed of Chaos next. I think I'll do some walking around New Londo to get some titanite chunks to upgrade my gear a bit more. Currently I have a lightning reinforced club+5, but my shield and armor still can use some upgrades. Sif and the Four Kings I save for last. Sif because I actually never want to kill her, the Four Kings because they will probably kill me 5 million times and after dying what felt like 3 million times to Dumb and Dumber I need some easier bosses in between

Leeroy's summoning spot is indeed on one of those rocks that you can jump onto in order to circumvent too many troubles with the bonewheel skeletons. Summoning him Leeroy also immediately went to town on the bonewheels, he didn't seem to have many problems

The Dingy set is actually pretty good. I have parts of it on a lot of my dex-based characters or spellcasters who want to travel lightly. It has good magic and curse resist and decent other resists and for physical damage I prefer not getting hit or blocking anyway

Last edited by Li-Ion; 10-29-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #129
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Bed of Chaos is done, so are also Centipede Demon and Firesage. Compared to O&S those guys were just peanuts. I also got enough red titanite to get my fire club to +10, so now I'm done with Izalith. I also cleared out part 1 of the Duke's Archives and freed Big Hat, even though he's actually of little use to me in this playthrough. Seath is next on my list, then I'm heading down to the Tomb of Giants to pick a fight with Neto and his annoying Skeletons. That's the plan at least.

I started to use much more items I never really used before. Like the Ring of Steel Protection. That ring makes the difference between dying to 1 or 2 hits against the crystal soldiers in the Archives.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #130
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Great work so far.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #131
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Seath the Scaleless is dead as well now. I found out that the reinforced club is the weapon to kill Seath. It's R2-Attack is a jump attack, so it's super easy to keep up with Seath's side tail and chop him to pieces. And it's also lightning-enchanted, which also helps. I did more than 400 damage with each hit, that was ridiculous.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #132
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I knew Seath would be easy, he's a big softie if you're not trying to get his tail.

Sif would be very tough for me in that situation - I have generally killed him by cowering in the doorway and jumping out every so often - you won't be able to take even a glancing blow.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:38 AM   #133
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I remember the first time playing through Seath caused me quite some trouble. But then I stopped worrying and learned to chase his tail.

Sif on the other hand I'm not that worried about. Last couple of times I beat her quite convincingly, since most of her attacks are relatively easy to dodge. Unlike e.g. Manus, she's also in no hurry to kill you.

I made a divine weapon to get rid of the skeletons at Nito, but I intend to switch back to a weapon that actually does damage to kill him. Nito himself is really easy, but the last couple of times his annoying skeletons caused me trouble. With my faith-character I even managed to get the giant skeletons on the far end to join the party.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #134
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Ha ha, yeah. The first time I took Nito on, I didn't even see those big skeletons - they came as quite the shock the second time through!

Seath was fine for me - kiting head-on worked, I only struggled when I tried to get his tail.

Have been playing a little bit of a new game with my allegedly Faith-based character. I am not feeling the love for these miracles; I would like to use them for the majority of the playthrough (roleplaying) but I'm struggling to find effective uses for them.

On another note, I have the brightness turned up a bit for this playthrough, and I obviously had it down too low previously (this happened with Demon's too). For example I was surprised to actually see Nito in the sarcophagus when I joined the Gravelord Covenant this time. Neat!

Have also been trying to suss out the Sanctuary Guardian with my NG++ char. Holy hell. I haven't lasted 10 seconds in that fight yet.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #135
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Who would have thought that of all the bosses in this game, Nito gives me serious headaches? He's always been a pushover once I managed to get to him. One of the bosses where the main challenge is getting to him in the first place. But he managed to repaint his cave with my intestines a dozen times now. Unlike O&S I haven't even gotten close to beating him in any of those attempts... I don't understand...