About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 10-08-2011, 06:37 AM   #46
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: Dark Souls (previously Project Dark)

It arrived! It is glorious!

Died one time at the tutorial boss trying to get used to the controls again. Really like the additions to the combat, i.e. kick and jump attack. I hardly do anything else right now
Old 10-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #47
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I'm starting to get some nice weapons, and the most ridiculous helm ever seen, but I've just come up against the Maneater equivalent, who is a complete bastard. I may have to go down another path for a while.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #48
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Finished the bell gargoyle(s) at my second attempt. I was in human form at that time so I could summon Solaire to help. I was surprised how painless the fight was compared to the maneater. Luckily the roof is larger, so there is plenty of space to dodge and move around.

Just killed the Moonlight Butterfly. Was pretty easy fight, just a lot of dodging her spells and hacking when she came close enough and running away once she explodes.

So far down:
Asylum Demon (tutorial, 1 death)
Taurus Demon (first attempt)
Bell Gargoyle (1 death)
Moonlight Butterfly (first attempt)

In terms of mini-bosses I managed 2 Black Knights and the armored boar so far. Didn't die with either of them. I'm repeatedly getting stomped into the ground by those giants on the way to the Moonlight Butterfly. Currently I just ignore them and run past.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:30 AM   #49
Pedro
64-bit Poster

You make me sick!

Nah, I die too often to bother playing as human, so I had to take the bell gargoyle on alone. Also, I'm not very good at boss battles in general so I found it a real struggle.

Did you have to join that guy's Covenant for him to help you? Anyway, I killed it in the end.

I also missed out on Moonlight Butterfly - I spent some time down in the pit below instead trying to figure out how to kill that many-headed beast. You can get within lock on range but I don't know if the arrows are having any effect.

I think I'm happy enough with the more open world. Initially I didn't like being able to just run past enemies, but it's better to be able to do that than have to fight them all each time and then die 10 seconds into a boss fight.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #50
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Did you have to join that guy's Covenant for him to help you? Anyway, I killed it in the end.
No, just talk to that sun-worshipping dude near the bridge with the dragon (can't miss it) and say yes to everything he says. As a result you can summon a NPC for some of the bossfights while being human, but not all of them. So far I could see the summon symbol at the bell gargoyle and the gaping dragon. Yes, I've been down there and challenged that beast. Needless to say it stomped me into the ground. Now I'm back on the surface to restock arrows and hopefully cut/shoot/cast that thing to pieces next time.

Also, I ran into an invading NPC I think, it had a too 'normal' name to be another player I don't know if that's a direct result of me summoning NPCs or if that's standard.

Boss update:
Capra Demon (3 deaths) - so far the trickiest one since the arena to fight him is very small, he is quite fast, has good reach and hits like a truck.

In progress:
Gaping Dragon (2 deaths so far, ran out of arrows and I think for that guy ranged combat is a good idea)

Minibosses:
A Giant Rat and 2 Butchers, died once at one of the Butchers and still don't know how I survived the giant rat
Old 10-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #51
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Now I have a divine longsword that finally allows me to explore the catacombs. Those skeletons are still terribly annoying. I am already wondering if I should have invested in an upgrade for some mace instead, but I just like the longsword. Came until some demon down there who jumped on me ass first, ending my first catacombs expedition.

Apart from that I destroyed the titanate demon upstairs, another black knight and the golden crystal giant without any problems. Problems caused the hydra however. I died 6 times at that stupid multisnake, 3 times because I went to far forward and drowned

Also, the red dragon commited suicide. I don't know why that happened and how. I was strolling through the castle, suddenly I hear a scream and got 10.000 souls. When I was at the bridge next time the dragon was gone
Old 10-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #52
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Yeah, the dragon dying is a known bug. There has definitely been a lot less attention to detail in this game - the only time I saw any glitches, clipping etc in Demons was the Maneater Fog Gate - and I suppose it's still pretty good considering they turned it around in 2 years.

The Gaping Dragon was a ridiculously easy boss once you figured him out. I'm glad. I wasn't even able to kill the Butcher on the way down there.

Now I'm in Blighttown which is a pain; headed off in the wrong direction in the swamp last night and am low on moss. I only have one chance to get it right now.

Any impressions from the Xbox folks?
Old 10-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #53
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

The gaping dragon is dead, so is the undead dragon with no more deaths from my part. However, I died twice during my excursion to blighttown due to toxicity and with almost no moss in my inventory I decided to retreat to the surface. I think I'll head to the woods next, blighttown seems to be a bit too tough at the moment (especially without moss).

Also, I think I found a back entrance to blighttown from the valley of the drakes, which would be a better vector for attack than going through all those sewers.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #54
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I got stuck in Blighttown for about 4 hours. I ran out of moss, couldn't find the bonfire and had low resistance to poison. I was getting poisoned with every step in the swamp.

After levelling up my Resistance stat and finding some resistant armour I finally made it out. I didn't even go after the boss down there, I was so glad to escape.

I've explored a bit more and now need to stock up on moss and go back down and kill the boss. And open that door in the garden etc.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #55
JLB1987
Sex machine

Finally got to have a quick go on Dark Souls before my missus got back with her child. Feel like a n00b talking about my initial thoughts after seeing how far you guys have got, but I thought you might find the thoughts of someone completely new to the game interesting.

Really like the combat; when I heard combat is assigned to the shoulder buttons I was dubious. The only other game I've played with this sort of set-up is Primal on the PS2, and I could never really get used to it. However, it is very satisfying here. Feels like there is some real weight behind your hits on the enemy, and it is a lot of fun.

I'm only in the tutorial bit, but already the atmosphere seems pleasingly dark and hopeless.

Impressed with the accompanying art book which came the special edition, too; something nice to look at whilst I installed the game. Some of the monster designs are fantastic!

Hopefully I'll be qualified to join in on this conversation properly soon :-)
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #56
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it. Part of the fun is sharing your trials and tribulations with this game.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:19 AM   #57
JLB1987
Sex machine

Well, after finally getting round do setting up the HD aspect of my Xbox 360 and finally having HD graphics, Dark Souls s certainly the best looking game I've played! I'm amazed at what a difference HD makes.

Still not far in, but I'm purposefully taking my time. On the Undead Burg, and I'm havng a fine time grinding and not taking any unnecessary risks, slowly levelling up. Last thing I did last night was die against the first goat-knight you come up against. I was fairing pretty well against it, bearing in mind the only way I could do any real damage to it was by countering it's attacks, but it got the better of me in the end. Will be taking care of it during my next session. On the plus side, I've finally got a decent weapon (an axe, ALWAYS my weapon of choice in RPGs), and enough strength to kill most of the lesser enemies on the Undead Burg in one hit.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #58
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Have been really enjoying Dark Souls. DS is definitely a game that I like to take my time with and soak up all that it has to offer.

Spent a lot of time early on leveling up. Currently at the boss in the forest (Can't remember the name of the area)
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #59
ckzatwork
16-bit Poster

Well, after playing several games for the past months that I kept playing only because I spent money on them, Dark Souls is constantly on my mind: at work, at the gym, while driving, while dreaming.

I’m at soul level 28 with an Elite Knight that will hopefully master high-level magic. I’m fighting with a fresh forged Raw Battle Axe and I find it pretty powerful for the moment. I just entered Blightown with lots of arrows and dreading the place because of what I’ve read so far. After a couple of minutes I was summoned as a phantom and in one session managed to get to the Queen’s Domain. We were both playing the area for the first time. My poison resist is at 18. More than enough to manage the mosquitos attack. I died at the boss fight, though.

At first, I thought everyone was exaggerating with the frame rate complaints but during the swamp area and those rock-throwing monsters I was getting a fucking slideshow. I have no idea if this some kind of nostalgic blink from From Software, an aesthetic joke from them. There’s some crazy and complex geometry in there but nothing that justifies pretty unplayable fight sequences.

The Butterfly boss fight was beautiful. The music and the setting made it so sad to kill such an elegant creature. Almost romantic.

The open world makes perfect sense. It’s a logical next step from Demon’s Souls. It reminds me of Metroid Prime. There are much more shortcuts than I imagined. Everything is perfectly coherent although I find the post-processing while entering some areas kind of abrupt: coming from the Depths and entering the pit that leads to Blightown changes the screen contrast and colors so violently that the feeling of an amalgamated world is hampered. At the same time, you get to understand what the artists want you to experience.

Overall, even if the novelty of Demon’s Souls isn’t present, the game is everything I wanted it to be.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #60
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzatwork View Post
Overall, even if the novelty of Demonís Souls isnít present, the game is everything I wanted it to be.
I'm feeling exactly the same about Dark Souls.

After 2 weeks of semi-holidays I'm back and started my first serious expedition to Blighttown today. Unfortunately it got quite late now and I should really work tomorrow