About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #31
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Re: Dark Souls (previously Project Dark)

Hmm, that 'limited health refills per life' thing sounds like a bit of a bastard.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #32
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

At least the healthbar doesn't get chopped in half until the point where you proof you don't need it in the first place
Old 10-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #33
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I came to Demons Souls very late; it'll be interesting to see how much of this one I can do without resorting to the Wiki. Not much, I suspect!
Old 10-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #34
JLB1987
Sex machine

I'm just dreading the difficulty, I hope it's not so hard I give up. My Xbox isn't connected to the internet, so it will be a single-player game only, for me.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #35
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Don't despair, the Dark Souls wiki is filling up. By the time I'm running into real trouble I hope someone on the internet already went past that part
Old 10-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #36
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
I could write my very own top 5 why Dark Souls is better than Skyrim but I don't want to attract rampaging Skyrim fanboys & girls
Okay, I'll bite. Let's hear it.

I'm actually curious, seeing that both games are not yet out how one could have an opinion one way or the other. I'd venture in order to have an opinion you'd have to be a fanboy, be it for Dark Souls or Skyrim. Wouldn't you?
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #37
Kin Korn Karn

Sorry for the double post, but I do like this

Let's get one thing straight: Dark Souls hates you. It hates who you are and what you stand for. It hates your friends, it hates your spouse, it hates your family, it hates your pets, it hates every single little thing about you right down to the fact that you even exist. It's not your fault - you didn't upset it, you didn't insult it's mother or it's religion... the only thing you really 'did' was want to play it, and for that it hates you so much it will do it's very best to kill you. Often.

From Strategyinformer.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:32 AM   #38
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Korn Karn View Post
Okay, I'll bite. Let's hear it.

I'm actually curious, seeing that both games are not yet out how one could have an opinion one way or the other. I'd venture in order to have an opinion you'd have to be a fanboy, be it for Dark Souls or Skyrim. Wouldn't you?
The 'top 5' was in course in reference to the already infamous trollbait opinion piece on ign. That said, I would be surprised if I could get much of enjoyment out of Skyrim.

I let the shock pass before I proceed talking

My antipathy towards Skyrim is founded on my experience with previous Bethesda games, mainly Oblivion and Fallout 3. I notice that those games were (and are) in the top-lists of many people, including critics, and won several GOTY awards, probably for good reason. That doesn't change the fact that I just don't get along with them. I got bored out of my mind in the desert wasteland just after leaving Megaton in Fallout 3 and my experiences with Oblivion are well documented in these forums.

I recognize the vision ans scope of what Bethesda is trying to do, but it just doesn't work for me. I got disappointed by Fallout 3 and even more by Oblivion after playing for about 20 hours. Those games are in great company, next to e.g. GTA 4 and GTA Chinatown Wars, two other games everyone seems to love but I don't get along with.

So it's less 'trololololo skyrim sux lol' fanboy banter, more my general incompatibilty with RPG by Bethesda. I hope I made my experiences and disappointment with Oblivion clear in the other thread and don't expect Skyrim to completely change the formula Bethesda RPG have been working by.

Dark Souls on the other hand seems to be an evolved Demon's Souls, which still is my favourite game of this console generation. That they add nice bonuses for pre-order and don't have any 10$ online pass or day1-dlc shenanigans just scores them some extra points in my book.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #39
Kin Korn Karn

Well stated response.

I'm on board, and understand the basis for your stance. Me? Demon Souls ate my lunch and spit it out all over my face. I couldn't stomach it. Way too much RPG in my RPG. The gameplay was too realistic in terms of the grind that was required to be invested. It reminded me too much of real life. I want my escapism to be more gentle, I suppose.

For that reason I'm a big fan of what Bethesda has done with their IP's. Right up my alley.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:16 AM   #40
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Korn Karn View Post
I'd venture in order to have an opinion you'd have to be a fanboy, be it for Dark Souls or Skyrim. Wouldn't you?
I did hate parts of and i also did love parts of Demons Souls and i have yet to check Fallout 3 and prove if Morrowinds "vast emptiness" is also in there, get a second opinion on Bethesdas Open World formula, but i could find 5 reasons why Dark Souls is a better game than the next TES and also vice versa.

I'd say those two RPGs are so different that comparing DS to a game like Stalker might make equally sense, thus not really any. It's pretty linear compared to real open world, no emphasis on dialogs or texts that fill the world, has also a dark haunting visual atmosphere, a lot of deadly traps and it's a game where you will die a lot. Features Skyrim meets less?
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #41
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I'm in the happy position of loving both Demon's Souls and Bethesda's RPGs. I am a bit worried that I'm growing away from Bethesda though - they'd want to shake Skyrim up a bit and not just deliver the same old formula.

I have just picked up Dark Souls and have it in my hand right now though...so it wins.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #42
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

My copy seems to be stuck at a post office in Amsterdam
Old 10-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #43
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Let me guess, Play.com?

I cancelled my order with them last week, and decided to get it at the shop on the day. They dispatched Tiger Woods on Monday and it still hasn't arrived.

Anyway, it's good! Very very similar to Demon's; the 'open' world makes it interesting and the first level I've played through was a little bit more intricate than Boletarian Palace - more nooks and crannies.

There are some new attack moves, which seem important, and the major boss I've defeated so far was medium-challenge level and fairly rewarding to figure out. It's funny not to collect your souls at that point and head back to the Nexus, but also intriguing.

I also got a rare drop early on - a sword that I can barely lift. Great stuff.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:23 AM   #44
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

No, Amazon. I didn't order with play.com since my copy of Killzone 3 was stuck in limbo for 3 weeks

According to track & trace the package is on it's way now, here's waiting

Some German website complained about a number of unfair and cheap deaths in Dark Souls, anything like that so far?
Old 10-08-2011, 04:09 AM   #45
Pedro
64-bit Poster

No cheap deaths for me so far, but I think I've taken the easy path at the start. It's not too difficult and the enemies are well positioned. The difficulty is also probably dependent on your starting class - I'm playing a speedy hunter, but my brother who is playing a knight has had to take his armour off at times to be able to proceed