About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Industry News

Notices

Old 09-22-2011, 05:03 AM   #16
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: Gran Turismo 5 Nov 24th

Almost a year has passed and I finally got it and played it a bit. I start being obsessed about getting as many premium cars in my garage as possible. Even though I rarely drive something else than my current favourite, the Ferrari 458 Italia (of course in red, since it doesn't matter what color a Ferrari is as long as it's red). Also, if GT5 gives an indication of how those supercars behave in real life I will never get a Lamborghini. They are all horrible to drive. And now I have to get a Gallardo just for one of the races... Talking about getting for the races: how come there are races you need cars for that are almost impossible to get? I didn't find a single pick-up truck yet and would need one for one of the races.

One thing I'm not sure what it's good for is the B-spec mode. It looks like a stripped-down version of those F1 Manager games. The way I can influence the race seem rather limited and my driver is a moron. I gave him a Murcielago in a hot hatchback challenge but instead of just easily going for first place he would continuously ram into the leading VW Golf until I gave the order to overtake. He also has this tendency to spin out of control on a straight, as if a very angry wasp got into his helmet.

Overall I really enjoy the game and look forward to the expert and extreme races.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:07 AM   #17
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

It took me until level 20 until I found out that the seasonal events give tons and tons of money! A series of races with Mini Coopers pays 10 times more for a win than pretty much any other race I played before. Also driving the Mini is lotsa fun, thus it doesn't feel like grinding.

Lamborghini on the other hand are still terrible to drive. If I ever become filthy rich I will not get a Lambo, but a Ferrari instead. Or a Maserati. And a Nissan GT-R as backup car. I spent tons of money in upgrading my Nissan GT-R to make it race-ready. I'm not sure how realistic the tuning is, I doubt that it's possible to tune up cars that much in real life. The GT-R SpecV in real life already has a titanium exhaust, twin turbochargers and carbon fibre reinforced plastics for everything except the radio, why is that not reflected in the game?

When I started GT5 I was spoiled by Dirt with it's replay-mechanics. After learning the ropes I get more enjoyment out of a won race in GT5 than I ever did with Dirt. If you excuse me, there is a championship to be won and I have to buy myself a fitting vehicle for the NASCAR races
Old 09-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #18
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Definitely gonna pick this up again when the Platinum edition comes out. It was still 30 euros for a second hand copy locally when I had a look on Friday.

I couldn't handle the supercars at all. That night stage in Tuscany was a real pain in the Lamborghini(?).
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:00 AM   #19
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I noticed the handling becomes much better after putting in better suspension and replacing the normal/sports with racing tyres. However, my Lamborghini Murcielago still acts like a wild mustang when I'm getting careless with the accelerator. With my Ferraris or the GT-R I hardly spin out of control anymore, since they're really nice to drive. I really have to mess up a corner pretty bad to fly off the track.

The problem are the challenges and special events where you get a Lamborghini to drive which is not your own and of course can't be modified. The standard Murcielago and Gallardo are horrible to drive. The night stage in Tuscany is the second worst race I encountered so far, with the worst being the VW bus race on the topgear track. Number three on my 'worst' list is the licence race with a Lamborghini Gallardo.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #20
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Hated that VW bus part. My interest in gaining the licences stopped there.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #21
gamevet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Hated that VW bus part. My interest in gaining the licences stopped there.
Yeah. I put the game away for a couple of weeks, because of that track. You pretty much have to bump vans out of the way to win.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote