About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > MMO Games

Notices

Old 11-26-2011, 12:56 PM   #16
LordFarid
Lord of the Videogames

Re: So, who is going to go Star Wars: The Old Republic?

I'm in the betaweekend. I am really liking what I see so far. Problem with MMO's is that you really need to spend a few months and see end-game and see the speed of the developers in producing new content to really know if it has lastability.

But my first impressions are really, really good. I've had no bugs so far whatsover, no lag at all, no crashes to desktop, not even saw any bugged npc's or lootbugs or whatever.

The game itself is beautiful and the gameplay is smooth and fast. The storytelling is a big +, really helps you being immersed in the game.

This baby is ready to launch from what i've seen so far. I'm hoping end-game is solid and am really hoping that PVP planet Ilum is fun to play. I already bought the game and if it starts to get boring eventually then thankfully there is still guild wars 2 next year.
LordFarid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #17
LordFarid
Lord of the Videogames

Have been playing all weekend and i have to say i'm really impressed so far. Today i finally passed lvl 10 and been doing some pvp and it was a lot of fun. I can't wait till this game launches!

Only problem is that i've been playing a jedi knight because i didnt want to ruin seeing the quests of my republic trooper when the game launches. But the jedi knight is so much fun i'm now in doubt which class to play.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #18
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Thumbs up Re: So, who is going to go Star Wars: The Old Republic?

I've also been playing and my initial doubts are pretty much blown away. I now have a Jedi Consular at lvl 12 and a Bounty Hunter at lvl 4. Contrary to other MMO characters I controlled in the course of my gaming life, I got quite attached to my little Twi'lek Jedi. The fully voiced dialoges and cutscenes do wonders for immersion into the game world. When I got the lightsaber it felt pretty special. What also helps is the sountrack, that just kicks in when you fight a tough enemy or get to an important part of a quest.

The quests are very similar to ones of e.g. Knights of the Old Republic (no surprise there ) in terms of variety and stuff to do. Unlike WoW quests that generally follow the "kill x amount of z" or "collect x amount of z"-template, TOR allows to solve quests differently. Some people can be persuaded, some threatened, some bribed. It's not necessary to kill everyone.

All in all it feels much more like a singleplayer rpg than an MMO. You can do a lot without being bothered by other players but if you feel like grouping up you can flag yourself as looking for group and usually find one pretty quickly. Also, I enjoy throwing rocks at people.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #19
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I just finished a flashpoint, the SWTOR-equivalent of dungeons. That was the single most awesome PvE-quest/mission I ever experienced in any MMORPG. Unlike regular MMO dungeons flashpoints are story driven and with plenty of dialogues where the players have to take decisions how to proceed. I am now considering buying SWTOR just because of the promise of more of these flashpoints.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #20
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Nnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:45 AM   #21
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

If you can't handle the cool, get out of the carbonite freezer
Old 11-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #22
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Sorry, I was practicing my wimp-Vader
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:04 PM   #23
LordFarid
Lord of the Videogames

So yesterday I finished my betaweekend with an evening of getting to lvl 13 with my light-blue female twilek jedi sentinel. and also doing some pvp. I gotta say I love the game and the pvp is fantastic. Especially Voidstar wich really feels different from the WoW/Rift battlegrounds.

Now it's still 20 days till launch and this beta has completely turned me from being positively excited about the game to completely hyped up about the game.

Before the beta I saw Swtor as an exciting event of a possibly very entertaining and smooth mmo game experience that would eventually get released around christmas time. I was originally even more excited about Guild Wars 2, but since that was pushed back to 2012 I kind of pushed it off my radar as its too far away.

Now after playing the beta, I'm literally as hyped up like a teen, counting the days till release which seem to go sooooo slow. And that is something other beta's (LOTRO, AOC, RIFT, etc) haven't been able to do.

I just can't decide what to play, a trooper or a jedi knight. Or perhaps a sith warrior, or a ratattaki sith shadow.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:41 AM   #24
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Guild Wars 2 was also the game I thought to be the most interesting MMO on the horizon. But after the beta weekend I'm actually looking forward to SWTOR rather than GW2. I would like to continue the adventures of my (also light-blue female) twi'lek jedi sage. The pvp maps I saw looked fairly balanced and the republic loosing constantly has probably just to do with the general lack of fighting spirit of all those smugglers
Old 12-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #25
Kin Korn Karn

Nice impressions. I couldn't get into a server when I had a few spare moments to give it a shot.

I may pick it up. I just know it will be such a huge time-suck though and I'll feel even more guilty than I do now (playing about an hour of gaming each day).
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:01 AM   #26
LordFarid
Lord of the Videogames

So I've been playing early access now for 2 days. Decided not to go for Jedi Sentinel or Republic Trooper after all but instead I made an Imperial Agent Sniper. I'm still absolutly loving it. This is really a solid game, and finally a game that really feels solid enough to uninstall WoW from my computer for once and for all.

There are literally tons of things I like about this game, but here is just one example of something i really adore.

In WoW and rift, once you hit lvl 10 you can play Battlegrounds. However, until your about lvl 17/18 your just being crushed by the high levels. So once you hit that lvl where you can finally play PvP the first rounds are completely boring as you just serve as cannon fodder, and your forced to go back to levelling and come back later. Of course once you've passed lvl 19 and hit 20, your once again the lowest in your level and your back to square 1.

In Swtor, your lvl 10 character automatically gets "bolstered" to the level of the highest level character. While you might not have as many skills, you often already have some of the most important basic skills, and because your health and dps is on par with the highest level, the experience is immediatly fun and you can start kicking ass from the get go. Its amazing to see my lvl 10 Sniper outskill, outfight and totally own a lvl 25 jedi (the warzones select characters from higher level ranges if they aren't full, another advantage because it keeps queue time low).

This makes levelling in PvP immensely more enjoyable. Also enjoyable is the simple fact that the three warzones present are amazing, i'm loving all 3 of them, even huttball which is actually the most entertaining and original battleground in any game (a combination between american football and warsong gulch type battleground).
Old 02-17-2012, 05:13 AM   #27
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I've been playing since beginning of February and am now lvl 29 with my Twi'lek Jedi Knight/Sentinel. I play mostly with a friend of mine who has a Jedi Shadow. It's a lot of fun and the Jedi Knight has hands down the best companions so far. Teeseven is obviously a R2-D2-esque droid who is very excited to be around and the best companion ever. But also my padawan Kira is growing on me. Having a fully voiced storyline really makes a difference and I can see myself playing through at least 2 more storylines of other character classes.

One of my favorite parts are (surprisingly) the rail-shooter space battles. They are a nice break of the usual mmo stuff and a throwback to the Rebel Assault-series. Yesterday I unlocked new battles, looking forward to them!

My only disappointment is that the flashpoints after the first (Esseless, which is great and reason alone to play this game) are not up to the standard set by the first. I really hope that future updates will provide flashpoints that are as exciting as Esseless. Also, the planet Taris (the 3rd one I visited) is boring as hell. Luckily the following (Nar Shaddar - or as I call it: Blade Runner Town) is much better again. Taris had me a bit worried that the game runs out of steam after the opening levels.

PvP is also pretty fun, especially huttball, which is a variety of american football for murderous sociopaths.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:13 AM   #28
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I've been playing since beginning of February and am now lvl 29 with my Twi'lek Jedi Knight/Sentinel. I play mostly with a friend of mine who has a Jedi Shadow. It's a lot of fun and the Jedi Knight has hands down the best companions so far. Teeseven is obviously a R2-D2-esque droid who is very excited to be around and the best companion ever. But also my padawan Kira is growing on me. Having a fully voiced storyline really makes a difference and I can see myself playing through at least 2 more storylines of other character classes.

One of my favorite parts are (surprisingly) the rail-shooter space battles. They are a nice break of the usual mmo stuff and a throwback to the Rebel Assault-series. Yesterday I unlocked new battles, looking forward to them!

My only disappointment is that the flashpoints after the first (Esseless, which is great and reason alone to play this game) are not up to the standard set by the first. I really hope that future updates will provide flashpoints that are as exciting as Esseless. Also, the planet Taris (the 3rd one I visited) is boring as hell. Luckily the following (Nar Shaddar - or as I call it: Blade Runner Town) is much better again. Taris had me a bit worried that the game runs out of steam after the opening levels.

PvP is also pretty fun, especially huttball, which is a variety of american football for murderous sociopaths.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #29
Kin Korn Karn

I haven't logged on in almost a month. I got an email from Bioware saying "Arric Jorgan misses you"
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #30
LordFarid
Lord of the Videogames

Stopped playing two weeks ago.

SWTOR is a great game. It is an allround high quality polished classic MMO in the Everquest/WoW model.

But I'm already hyped up about the next big thing which seems to take the MMO genre finally a massive step into the future Guild Wars 2.

I can't help it but after playing for about 2 months I really that while SWTOR has a beautiful gameworld some awesome innovations, once the shine wears of gameplay wise this game is more of the same.

Reading about GW2 however, that seems to be a whole different beast. The dynamic quest system in that game, the exploration driven gameplay, and the promise of massive 3 faction strategic battles in WvWvW PVP gameplay makes me believe. GW2 is not more of the same with some innovations, but a revolution that questions everything and will change the MMO genre forever.