About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Industry News

Notices

Old 05-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
Dale Weir
Site God

Killer Instinct to 360?

Quote:
Rare's Killer Instinct Coming to 360?

First up, [Quartermann]'s heard that Microsoft-owned developer Rare is currently hard at work on a new Killer Instinct offering for Xbox 360 tentatively titled Killer Instinct 3D: Death, Destruction, and Doom. Word has it that the plasticized 2D visuals and mash-happy gameplay have been wisely bulldozed in favor of fully 3D graphics and a more refined combat system. Our Q-spies in the U.K. report that the game looks "rather early" yet "promising," and tell us to expect a hasty denial from the cheeky lads at Rare.
So Microsoft paid $350 mil for Perfect Dark, Viva Pinata, a Banjo sequel and now Killer Instinct 3D? That's money well spent right there.

dale

Last edited by Dale Weir; 05-24-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Dale Weir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
jdingo
32-bit Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to jdingo
Re: Killer Instinct to 360?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Weir View Post
So Microsoft paid $350 mil for Perfect Dark, Viva Pinata, a Banjo sequel and now Killer Instinct 3D? That's money well spent right there.
$375 million in cold hard cash, apparently.

But for their money Microsoft also got Conker's Bad Fur Day, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Viva Piņata and Diddy Kong Racing DS, the last of which sold more than a million copies worldwide.

In 2005, Ken Lobb, who was then Studio Manager for Microsoft's Studio RX, (and is now Creative Director for Microsoft Game Studios) said this about Rare:

Quote:
As far as what Rare is doing going forward, clearly we're not talking about that now. But I think the investment in Rare wasn't about what they were going to do last year or this year, it's what Rare's going to do for Microsoft Games Studios over a ten, fifteen, twenty-year period. And as more and more of that becomes unveiled, I think everyone will say, once again, oh yeah, Rare is Rare.
- jdingo

Last edited by jdingo; 05-24-2008 at 04:43 PM.
jdingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:50 PM   #3
Dale Weir
Site God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdingo View Post
But for their money Microsoft also got Conker's Bad Fur Day, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Viva Piņata and Diddy Kong Racing DS, the last of which sold more than a million copies worldwide.
No one would be foolish enough to expect an immediate return on a $375 million purchase. But Rare was bought almost 5 years ago (Sept. 20, 2002) and since then we've only seen ports (Conker's Bad Fur Day, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Diddy Kong Racing DS) and underwhelming originals (Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Viva Piņata).

Now Microsoft can of course afford to A) make such a purchase without skipping a beat and B) wait 20+ years to reap dividends on said purchase, so I can understand no one at Microsoft pulling a George Steinbrenner and firing whomever is in charge every year. But you buy a studio like Rare, for a price like that to get software that will sell your hardware. The games we mentioned and the one's on their way (Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, Viva Piņata: Pocket Paradise or this rumored Killer Instinct game) are just not going to cut it.

After almost 5 years, Ken Lobb and crew must be privy to some really spectacular internal software--kept under wraps all these years--to be so bullish on the studio. I wish the rest of us could see it too.

dale

Last edited by Dale Weir; 05-25-2008 at 05:07 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:02 PM   #4
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

I enjoyed the hell out of Viva Pinata, and i've been a Banjo-Kazooie fan from the start so I'm stoked for a sequel, but Killer Instinct?

KI was the most laughable, poseriffic, weaksauce, busted-mechanic fighter that ever was.

I mean, i love fighting games, but exactly what's to salvage from KI? the biggest gimmick it had were the graphics *at the time* and it never had gameplay. is anybody really a fan of those goofy-ass characters?

i'd rather see Rare create something all-new from the ground up and leave that crap behind... it'd have to be a pretty fan-f'in-tastic revamp to get me to look twice at it.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:47 PM   #5
Mike Doolittle
Telling people how it is

Send a message via AIM to Mike Doolittle

Whatever dude, KI freakin' rocked.

"C-c-c-cooooombooo breakerrrrrr!"

Awesome.

My MySpace Page
My Gaming PC Blog
Mike Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:08 AM   #6
Dale Weir
Site God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gallaway View Post
KI was the most laughable, poseriffic, weaksauce, busted-mechanic fighter that ever was.

I mean, i love fighting games, but exactly what's to salvage from KI? the biggest gimmick it had were the graphics *at the time* and it never had gameplay. is anybody really a fan of those goofy-ass characters.
You got something against 80-hit combos Brad?

or

Old 05-26-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Nice picks, Dale... I think those videos speak pretty clearly for themselves.

::retch::

KI may have been a great way to teach button memorization, but as a quality fighting game?

Not even in the ballpark.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #8
Avptallarita

Rep Power: 15 Avptallarita is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gallaway View Post
I enjoyed the hell out of Viva Pinata, and i've been a Banjo-Kazooie fan from the start so I'm stoked for a sequel, but Killer Instinct?

I mean, i love fighting games, but exactly what's to salvage from KI? the biggest gimmick it had were the graphics *at the time* and it never had gameplay. is anybody really a fan of those goofy-ass characters?

i'd rather see Rare create something all-new from the ground up and leave that crap behind... it'd have to be a pretty fan-f'in-tastic revamp to get me to look twice at it.
I disagree with you. The fighting genre was one of the most stagnant in the world before KI came to re-inject it with adrenaline. It didn't invent combos per se, but it was the first game to truly exploit them and popularise them. Further, it was much more kinetic than any other fighting game out there. I remember going back to street fighter and mortal kombat on my snes after the months in which I couldn't detach myself from KI, and it's incredible just how old they felt. They were like black and white movies. It was like comparing the first Batman with The Matrix. Everything moved slow as hell. KI was to fighting games what heavy metal was to rock'n'roll - twice as fast, twice as violent, and screaming like hell. Not to everybody's taste, and certainly not for you if you're a street fighter purist, but damn it's something.

Also, count me in as one of the people who were in love with those "goofy-ass" characters. Fulgore is much cooler than Bison to my eyes, and Riptor can tear the limbs off Johnny Cage. Just about everything else in the game was done right, from the fatalities to the settings to the occasional, delightful gimmick. Fantastic game, overall.

The chapter on the N64 was a complete waste of time. I'd love to see the series revive, provided they can do it right.
Avptallarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:56 PM   #9
Mike Doolittle
Telling people how it is

Send a message via AIM to Mike Doolittle

I think the key difference about the combos in KI was the use of combo breakers. Mortal Kombat III pissed off a lot of fans because it was too easy to launch these long, elaborate combos that could make the match decisively one-sided in a matter of seconds. KI has combos that are just as absurd, but with the right timing, players can break them and counter attack.

I mean that's really all it "added" to the 2-D fighter, but it was a big improvement over MK3. The rest of the appeal was purely stylistic, as well as the fact that its 3-D renders were both much cooler looking than the digitized characters of MK, and the fact that it was an advertisement for technology we would see in the then-forthcoming Nintendo 64 (in the intro to the arcade game, it was still called the Ultra 64).

My MySpace Page
My Gaming PC Blog
Mike Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
gamevet

Killer Instinct was graphic garbage.

It was a fun button masher, where the guy that memorized the most chained combos would have the most success. Killer Instinct will never be mentioned in a top 10 fighters list, unless it was made by someone with very little experience with the genre.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:13 PM   #11
gamevet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avptallarita View Post
I disagree with you. The fighting genre was one of the most stagnant in the world before KI came to re-inject it with adrenaline. .
What!?

Capcom was putting out a ton of excellent 2-D fighters at the time. Marvel Super Heroes, Night Warriors, X-Men: COTA and Street Fighter Alpha were some of the main reasons the Sega Saturn was an import gaming juggernaut.

The 2-D fighting games pretty much kept arcade gaming alive, a lot longer than it should have, and it all started with Capcom's fighters.

Last edited by gamevet; 05-26-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #12
Avptallarita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doolittle View Post
I think the key difference about the combos in KI was the use of combo breakers. Mortal Kombat III pissed off a lot of fans because it was too easy to launch these long, elaborate combos that could make the match decisively one-sided in a matter of seconds. KI has combos that are just as absurd, but with the right timing, players can break them and counter attack.

I mean that's really all it "added" to the 2-D fighter, but it was a big improvement over MK3. The rest of the appeal was purely stylistic, as well as the fact that its 3-D renders were both much cooler looking than the digitized characters of MK, and the fact that it was an advertisement for technology we would see in the then-forthcoming Nintendo 64 (in the intro to the arcade game, it was still called the Ultra 64).
Mortal Kombat 3 came after Killer Instinct. The fact that it incorporated combos goes to show how quickly KI's influence had spread.

It also slightly tweaked some of the genre's nuances, thus slightly altering the strategy with which combat was approached. For one thing, the usual three rounds were tied together in a single combat and the status of health bars overlapped across the sessions. It also allowed for in-match fatalities if you wanted to go for the spectacular finish (and I seem to recollect they could even be reversed!). Some of the fireball mechanics, like Cyndel's (sp?) "rope of fire" or Fulgore's laser eyes had some differences with usual hadokens and fireballs. Finally, it simply speeded everything up; for one thing, you no longer "floated" when jumping, and characters in general moved very fast.

It wasn't a revolutionary game by any standard, but it really revitalized the genre, and not only by means of its stylistic achievements (which were considerable in and of themselves).
Old 05-26-2008, 03:22 PM   #13
Avptallarita

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
What!?

Capcom was putting out a ton of excellent 2-D fighters at the time. Marvel Super Heroes, Night Warriors, X-Men: COTA and Street Fighter Alpha were some of the main reasons the Sega Saturn was an import gaming juggernaut.

The 2-D fighting games pretty much kept arcade gaming alive, a lot longer than it should have, and it all started with Capcom's fighters.
Well, I don't know the release dates for all these games but the Sega Saturn came out after Killer Instinct, not before it. I've only played Street Fighter Alpha of the games you list, but it didn't seem quite as innovative (mechanically or stylistically) as KI when I first played it. Maybe the other games have more to say for themselves.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:15 PM   #14
gamevet

Most of those Capcom fighters came out by 1994, and the Saturn was out on November 22, 1994 in Japan. Killer Instinct came out in October of 1994, so the window isn't exactly large, between when each of these titles was released.

Killer Instinct did make a mark on the arcade scene, but the hype (Hyper-64) really was greater than the substance that was delivered. There's nothing wrong with KI, but it's really comparable to the likes of what "Dead or Alive" was to 3-D fighting.

Last edited by gamevet; 05-26-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:40 PM   #15
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avptallarita View Post
Well, I don't know the release dates for all these games but the Sega Saturn came out after Killer Instinct, not before it. I've only played Street Fighter Alpha of the games you list, but it didn't seem quite as innovative (mechanically or stylistically) as KI when I first played it. Maybe the other games have more to say for themselves.
I have played every games gamevet listed, and understand that I am a big fan of Killer Instinct. I've beaten the game with every characters, memorized all their combos and could even play some of the stage music on piano.

And I think doing the combos are incredibly fun, as is the Combo Breaker. And at that time the graphics are top notch. I also think Fulgore is the coolest looking robot of all fighting game robots.

But, I played Killer Instinct a couple of months ago and I found that it hasn't aged very well. The characters have identical set of moves: either they play like Ryu or Barlog - M.Bison in Japan - of Street Fighter. And it's not terribly complex, especially when compared to X-Men COTA and Street Fighters Alpha (which is the only Street Fighter that had easy to do dial-a-combos), and what more, Marvel and Night Warriors.

In X-Men alone, every character has a distinct style, and everything they can do, right down to the most basic punches, has a different level of priority and has different kinds of situation they're meant to be used for.

I can't really say the same about Jago and Fulgore, or Sabrewulf and T.J. Combo. All I did with them was keep on throwing jabs or slides, then combo when the enemy leaves an opening.