About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 01-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #46
Mike Doolittle
Telling people how it is

Send a message via AIM to Mike Doolittle
Re: Red Ring of Death hits me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Weir View Post
I also notice a lot of resignation on the part of many 360 owners and that just annoys me even more. It leaves Microsoft little motivation to move on that issue any faster and here we are going on four years and the problems still persist. And what Microsoft can also count on apathy from 360 owners because for those that don't want to put up with the RRODs or returns, the next best thing is to shell out for the more expensive console with a smaller library of games and exclusives (PS3).
This is why PC gaming is the way to go. Not only is it relatively inexpensive to get hardware that will trounce the 360, but the vast majority of games that are on the 360 are on PC. Mass Effect, Bioshock, the Call of Duty games, Fallout 3, Prince of Persia, Mirror's Edge, Left 4 Dead, GTAIV... you name it; not to mention that the PC has its own lineup of killer exclusives. Add on top of that the fact that the PC version will not only look better and often have more features (like the extra physics effects in Mirror's Edge), but you can even play them with a 360 controller and plug your PC into your 60" HDTV if you want. Seems like a no-brainer to me for people who want the 360 games but are worried about the hardware and service issues. Oh, and did I mention you can buy 90% of your games without ever leaving the couch?

My MySpace Page
My Gaming PC Blog
Mike Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:06 AM   #47
David Stone
One of uuuuuuussss....

Rep Power: 19 David Stone is an unknown quantity at this point

My 360 is starting to act a little funny. Erin and I are replaying Gears 1 on insane co-op to try to get the last of the single-player achievements. Throughout the game, we're beginning to run when we aren't pressing anything, cannot change guns, crash at least once daily, and now the sound is getting messed up. I wonder, though, considering I got a system at launch, and have had it replaced once, will I still qualify for the warranty?
David Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:44 AM   #48
videochilex
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stone View Post
My 360 is starting to act a little funny. Erin and I are replaying Gears 1 on insane co-op to try to get the last of the single-player achievements. Throughout the game, we're beginning to run when we aren't pressing anything, cannot change guns, crash at least once daily, and now the sound is getting messed up. I wonder, though, considering I got a system at launch, and have had it replaced once, will I still qualify for the warranty?
yes as the warranty was extended to 3 yrs for the influx of rrod
videochilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #49
David Stone
One of uuuuuuussss....

Rep Power: 19 David Stone is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by videochilex View Post
yes as the warranty was extended to 3 yrs for the influx of rrod
But video, the console was purchased November 2005. I'm out of the 3-year time period. This may suck.
David Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #50
gamevet

Quote:
But video, the console was purchased November 2005. I'm out of the 3-year time period. This may suck.
Doesn't the warranty reset, once your 360 has been repaired?

You can check out the official site, enter your serial number and they'll let you know if your system is still under warranty.

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/u...repair&lc=1033

Last edited by gamevet; 01-26-2009 at 10:47 PM.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:49 AM   #51
videochilex
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Im sure its 3 yrs after the initial 2. you could always ring n ask to be sure
Old 01-27-2009, 05:10 PM   #52
gamevet

After 7 days of waiting, I finally got someones older Elite 360 delivered to my house.

I try to power it up, and I get the same RROD I had with the console I'd sent out last tuesday. I call the help desk and the guy on the phone was trying to suggest that my power supply may be bad. If that was the case, you'd think they would send my console back, instead of this early model Elite from March of 2007.

Anyone else ever have an issue with the power supply and would that cause the RROD to display on the console, or even power up the console in the first place?
Old 01-28-2009, 12:13 AM   #53
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

after my 2nd RROD, the refurb i got back started RROD'ing again on the same day i unpacked it from the box. i was so mad i couldn't see straight, but the witty, witty staff at MS custserv told me to unplug eveyrthing and re-plug it in... i thought they were being jackasses, but for some unexplained reason, it worked after that. give it a try, it can't hurt, i guess.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:04 AM   #54
videochilex
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gallaway View Post
after my 2nd RROD, the refurb i got back started RROD'ing again on the same day i unpacked it from the box. i was so mad i couldn't see straight, but the witty, witty staff at MS custserv told me to unplug eveyrthing and re-plug it in... i thought they were being jackasses, but for some unexplained reason, it worked after that. give it a try, it can't hurt, i guess.
the important question being...next gen, will you be going back to microsoft based on your experience with 360?

Gaming wise...its been great. Online...even better. However i dont think any console should have its faulty track record. Not even the nes.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:40 AM   #55
gamevet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gallaway View Post
Unplugged and plugged it back in at least a half dozen times, even going so far as to plug it directly into the wall.

I have the feeling it may be the power supply, since the 360's fans don't turn on and I get the RROD instantly upon pushing the power button. The service rep told me I could send in my power supply and they'd replace it, but I would have to pay for shipping.

If it really was the power supply, it's not a big deal that I'd sent in a working Elite, since the DVD drive was starting to have issues. But, I'd think that the repair center would have sent back my console, if it didn't RROD when they powered it up with a different power supply.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #56
Qikdraw

They probably just do the exchange before they even look at it. It would save time over a known issue.

My Blog
Qikdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:40 PM   #57
gamevet

After 3 weeks without my 360, I'm back in business. It turns out that I had a bad power supply, even though the light showed amber and fed enough power to the system to show the RROD.

I'd sent my Elite in about 2 1/2 weeks ago and they'd sent back a unit that was 6 months older than mine. I went to power it up and had the same RROD, with no image to the television. I contacted MS and the guy told me I had to mail (payed for shipping) my power supply in for an exchange unit. It took about a week to get another power supply, but everything is working fine now.

This system sound a little bit quieter than the one I'd sent in. I had the crappy DVD drive (it was failing) that sounds like a jet engine when it turned on. This one is hardly noticeable.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:51 AM   #58
Tim Spaeth
Ready to Believe You

Yesterday both Mike Bracken and I red ringed within 12 hours of each other. That is all.
Tim Spaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #59
Mike Bracken
Next-Gen Poster

Yep, and I'm beyond the 3 year warranty period--despite this being my very first RROD.

My game collection: http://users.ign.com/collection/sadeian

Last edited by Mike Bracken; 08-01-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Mike Bracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #60
Chi Kong Lui
Next-Gen Site Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bracken View Post
Yep, and I'm beyond the 3 year warranty period--despite this being my very first RROD.
You might want to check on that because I think first gen systems have either an extended or unlimited warranty.

Chi