About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 05-18-2008, 12:05 AM   #31
YouDigress
16-bit Poster

Re: Red Ring of Death hits me

Funny thing is, sometimes I can't even figure out what Jacob is saying even with the subtitles, because they subtitled is accent and everything.

It's fine when I'm just walking around and not doing anything, but in the middle of a mission, having him speak could be deadly.
YouDigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:01 PM   #32
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Okay, now it is official. I have joined the Red Ring of Death club. My 360 Elite is dead. Long live the PS3.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:00 PM   #33
Snack Eater
64-bit Poster

Rep Power: 12 Snack Eater is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Snack Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by abfackeln View Post
Okay, now it is official. I have joined the Red Ring of Death club. My 360 Elite is dead. Long live the PS3.
-reading Infinite Jest (****)

Last edited by Snack Eater; 08-25-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Snack Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:07 PM   #34
gamevet

My 360 Elite has finally RROD. I knew it was coming, since the Disc Drive was having problems reading my game DVDs. It lasted 14 months and and died when it made a popping sound and the screen went blank. I guess the X-Clamp popped loose.

Oh well, at least my PS3 will get a solid month of playtime. Maybe I'll finally give in and get MGS4.

Last edited by gamevet; 01-18-2009 at 01:50 AM.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:44 AM   #35
videochilex
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
My 360 Elite has finally RROD. I knew it was coming, since the Disc Drive was having problems reading my game DVDs. It lasted 14 months and and died when it made a popping sound and the screen went blank. I guess the X-Clamp popped loose.

Oh well, at least my PS3 will get a solid month of playtime. Maybe I'll finally give in and finally get MGS4.
I had the same happen to me just last week. I sent it back the previous friday and its at repairs. Hopefully they will simply replace it with the new model 360s. God bless the xbox updates. The red ring always seems to happen when i havent used it for a prolonged period or when ive updated via xbox live.
videochilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #36
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

My refurb that I got back in September is already acting funny. I never know if it is he system or the games messing up. The freaking Xbox sounds like a leaf blower too.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #37
gamevet

Yeah, mine sounded like a wind tunnel. I'd be really surprised if it was the X-Clamp that went, since the system never felt hot, even after a 4 hour gaming session.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #38
Qikdraw

This still happens? I thought they had fixed that problem...

Well that sucks.

My Blog
Qikdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:17 AM   #39
Dale Weir
Site God

I've been reading about a couple of instances where Microsoft actually replaces your Premium or whatever with an Xbox 360 Arcade system. So on top of not always correcting the problem or just adding more fans or whatever, they are not even sending back the console that you sent them.

That's why I am not buying an Xbox 360. I want one. I REALLY want one, but I know and know of way too many people who's systems have failed. When they send them in, they come back with other issues (only the system works now) and the RROD can come back. It's like they are still selling faulty hardware and I can't support someone selling that to the public.

dale

Last edited by Dale Weir; 01-19-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Dale Weir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:53 AM   #40
videochilex
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Weir View Post
I've been reading about a couple of instances where Microsoft actually replaces your Premium or whatever with an Xbox 360 Arcade system. So on top of not always correcting the problem or just adding more fans or whatever, they are not even sending back the console that you sent them.

That's why I am not buying an Xbox 360. I want one. I REALLY want one, but I know and know of way too many people who's systems have failed. When they send them in, they come back with other issues (only the system works now) and the RROD can come back. It's like they are still selling faulty hardware and I can't support someone selling that to the public.

dale
they throw in a free month of cbox live gold when they return it repaired

I sent mine in 8 days ago and as of today its been mailed back (in transit). So it didnt take too long all up.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #41
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Quote:
they are not even sending back the console that you sent them.
No, they don't send you back the same system. I wrote down the serial number and the manufacture date before sending mine in. The refurb that came to me was a different unit.

The turnaround time was quick, but I know that there will be on going problems. That is why I buy most of my games on the PS3 now.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:01 PM   #42
Dale Weir
Site God

Quote:
Originally Posted by abfackeln View Post
No, they don't send you back the same system. I wrote down the serial number and the manufacture date before sending mine in. The refurb that came to me was a different unit.

The turnaround time was quick, but I know that there will be on going problems. That is why I buy most of my games on the PS3 now.
That's another thing. Microsoft keeps sending refurbs out.

Look, I don't want to come off as whiny or anything. I certainly see that Microsoft has been relatively good at reacting to the problem, but I'd appreciate some proactive solutions. The new Jasper architecture is supposed to be solving some of these issues, but as I understand it, it is a slow roll out of this new hardware.

I also notice a lot of resignation on the part of many 360 owners and that just annoys me even more. It leaves Microsoft little motivation to move on that issue any faster and here we are going on four years and the problems still persist. And what Microsoft can also count on apathy from 360 owners because for those that don't want to put up with the RRODs or returns, the next best thing is to shell out for the more expensive console with a smaller library of games and exclusives (PS3).

dale
Dale Weir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:37 PM   #43
gamevet

I started out with a 60gig PS3 back in August of 2007. I had a good time with the PS3, but I wasn't having as much fun as I'd had with the previous Xbox and LIVE.

I held out, until Mass Effect and Bioshock had arrived, and bought an Elite in November of 2007, with hopes that the Falcon chipset would be more reliable. The system always ran cool (much cooler than the air blowing out of the PS3) and the problems seemed to be more with the crappy DVD drive. I'm hoping there will be nothing wrong with the board and that the problem will just be a DVD drive swap out.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:11 AM   #44
videochilex
32-bit Poster

Quote:
That's another thing. Microsoft keeps sending refurbs out.

Look, I don't want to come off as whiny or anything. I certainly see that Microsoft has been relatively good at reacting to the problem, but I'd appreciate some proactive solutions. The new Jasper architecture is supposed to be solving some of these issues, but as I understand it, it is a slow roll out of this new hardware.

I also notice a lot of resignation on the part of many 360 owners and that just annoys me even more. It leaves Microsoft little motivation to move on that issue any faster and here we are going on four years and the problems still persist. And what Microsoft can also count on apathy from 360 owners because for those that don't want to put up with the RRODs or returns, the next best thing is to shell out for the more expensive console with a smaller library of games and exclusives (PS3).

dale
only for this gen of hardware. next gen i may go back to sony unless the new hardware is free of bugs.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:16 PM   #45
gamevet

I'd mailed my 360 out on Tuesday and I'm already getting an email saying my console has been repaired. This doesn't bode well, becuase I'm probably getting a trashed out console that someone else didn't take care of.

My 360 probably just had a fried DVD drive and it never really got hot. Now I'm probably going to get a 360 that has a glued on X-Clamp. I hope it was at least manufactured after October of 2007, like my 360 was.

I guess they didn't read (or care about) the note I put in the box.