About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 08-08-2009, 01:08 AM   #1
Mike Doolittle
Telling people how it is

Send a message via AIM to Mike Doolittle
Batman: AA demo impressions

Anyone else play this? I didn't think they could actually pull it off. As much of a Splinter Cell fan as I am, I just didn't see this game really working. But the demo, despite being really short, is a lot of fun. They seem to have captured the whole stealth/surprise element very well; you really do get that sense of being a badass, albeit a badass that has to make his environment work for him. They've been hyping the crap out of this game and it may turn out pretty solid after all.

My MySpace Page
My Gaming PC Blog
Mike Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
David Stone
One of uuuuuuussss....

Rep Power: 19 David Stone is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Batman: AA demo impressions

Agreed. I felt like they pulled a big tease with the demo. It looks like there's a a decent amount of interesting things to do. My concern is that there may be a few too many "convenient" things in the game (i.e. a gargoyle you can grapple to right when you need it) but the cross between Metal Gear/Splinter Cell stealth and beat-'em-up, it'll work.

I enjoyed how slowly Batman fights, in that it wasn't frenetic. I really felt like I was a big muscular guy in a costume pounding face. However, I'm not sure the dramatic slowdowns when delivering the crushing blow will stay fresh for long.

Nonetheless, I'm starting to look forward to the release more than I did before.
David Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
Richard Naik
Lt. Cmdr. PopAndFresh

I've been intrigued since they announced that Paul Dini was writing the script, but I was skeptical since I hadn't heard of the developer. The demo however looks solid. The fighting felt more natural to Batman that a straight brawler-doing the inverted takedown and hanging a guy from the ceiling was particularly gratifying.
Richard Naik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:04 AM   #4
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

I guess I'll be the lone dissenter and say that although I still have my fingers crossed, it didn't really strike me as cool as I had hoped it would be. It felt a little slow and stiff, and I'm a little concerned that the environments are going to be contrived and drab. Granted, the demo was pretty short and it's way too early to start making judgments, but my gut feeling was that it might not end up being all it was cracked up to be. I could be totally wrong, but I dunno… my enthusiasm factor for it certainly dropped a few points, though.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:11 AM   #5
Mike Doolittle
Telling people how it is

Like David said, I just hope Arkham isn't gargoyle city. Whether the game works will depend on how much flexibility you have in manipulating the environment to your advantage.

My MySpace Page
My Gaming PC Blog
Old 08-11-2009, 12:58 AM   #6
David Stone
One of uuuuuuussss....

Rep Power: 19 David Stone is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gallaway View Post
I guess I'll be the lone dissenter and say that although I still have my fingers crossed, it didn't really strike me as cool as I had hoped it would be. It felt a little slow and stiff, and I'm a little concerned that the environments are going to be contrived and drab. Granted, the demo was pretty short and it's way too early to start making judgments, but my gut feeling was that it might not end up being all it was cracked up to be. I could be totally wrong, but I dunno… my enthusiasm factor for it certainly dropped a few points, though.
You're always the lone dissenter, Brad. Just face it: you don't like to side with the rest of us. But your mention of Fester's Quest within the first five minutes of meeting will forever ensure your place in my heart.

That being said, I've played through the demo a few more times, and I can completely see how it would diminish your excitement for the game. I'm very surprised the publisher wouldn't let us have one measly boss fight.

It's interesting how a demo can colour our views on an upcoming title. Witness Capcom's insane decision to only show the most broken part of the new Bionic Commando as the demo slaughter the game's sales. Sure, it wasn't the best game, but it deserved more than the meagre sales it accrued.
David Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:26 AM   #7
friedfishribs
New Poster

Rep Power: 0 friedfishribs is an unknown quantity at this point

I only played the demo offered at Gamestop - does that count? And of that demo, I only played the brawling section.

Thought the combat engine was nifty. You just mash the attack button, and Batman just walks himself to an enemy and attacks. The animations are fantastic and the transitions are seamless, but it did feel a little automated. Still, the counter prompting and the "cape swings" to open up an enemies' defenses gives the fighting a little more depth. I can see it getting old over time, but for now, it's excellent to watch Batman counter a kick from behind but catching the ankle and finishing with a backwards elbow.
friedfishribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #8
NeoRanger
8-Bit Poster

I kind of liked it... for the five minutes I played. Because then I got sick of the issues my Logitech gamepad had with the game and having to guess what the various moves meant, which were mapped to an XBOX controller, which I'm not familiar with.

Since when did it become so damn complicated playing a demo?

But it seemed functional, even if I personally find it ugly as sin (why is Bats on steroids?), so if I do end up buying, it'll be on the PS3.

Having said that... the game looks functional, even fun, but I have to wonder how all these mechanisms will fair in the long term. There is something that reeks of "repetitive" there...
NeoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
Mike Doolittle
Telling people how it is

That's one thing I have to agree on... why does Batman look like Mr. Olympia? Isn't he supposed to be a martial artist and some kind of ninja? The demo was way too short though. I just didn't get a good enough feel for it to want to plunk down $50. I'm not sure why it's so hard to release a proper demo — like the Crysis demo, which was the full first level — especially when you're already downloading such a large file. The Batman demo weighed in at 1.6GB, which is a pretty fat file for a ten or fifteen minute bout of gameplay.

My MySpace Page
My Gaming PC Blog
Old 08-17-2009, 10:54 AM   #10
Vince

Send a message via MSN to Vince Send a message via Yahoo to Vince

I played the demo. I found it entertaining, though the question remains of why are there gargoyles inside the Asylum? Do the developers not understand the purpose of them? The inmates must go insane everytime it rains...

As far as how Batman looks, Batman did try an early version of Venom, the stuff that Bane uses to pump up. Batman's look is also highly subjective to the artist. Save for some Elseworld's titles, he has always looked like his costume is painted on. But if you compare Neal Adams to Jim Aparo to Frank Miller to Jim Lee, you will find a range of looks and how much muscle Batman has packed on. What is different with the game compared to the comics is Bats seems to be wearing a tech outfit which could add to his bulk.