About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Industry News

Notices

Old 07-26-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
legendarypegasu
64-bit Poster

Rep Power: 12 legendarypegasu is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to legendarypegasu
New Resident Evil 5 trailer

Well not new, but an extended version of the one at E3, now with actual game footage. Its looks like it plays the same a RE4 (which is all I really want) but it is much more gritty than RE4 and feel much more real. Overall it looks good.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
Gene Park
Critic Emeritus

Re: New Resident Evil 5 trailer

Awe-inspiring.

Two things:

1) I'm a little uncomfortable with Capcom's insistence in singling out ethnic areas as targets of viral outbreaks. But I think besides Luis Sera's Speedy Gonzales accent, they handled it fairly well in RE4 with Hispanics. I think, if anything, we should be more sympathetic to their plight. There is the whole black=evil thing, but I'll wait and see how everything fleshes out before passing any real judgement.

and...

2) I really fucking wish the Wii was more powerful, because I have a hard time seeing myself easing myself back into whole aiming with the analog stick. However, if they added dual analog support for this one, that should fix things fine. But if they're going to adapt the RE4 control and movement system, I'm heavily disappointed that this isn't coming out for the Wii.

I'm not going to complain that it looks to be more of the same. RE4 housed such a fantastic engine and combat sysem overall that it's worth revisiting at least one more time. And it looks like there are not only more "zed words" on screen, but Chris will have a considerable amount of context sensitive attacks and defense moves at his disposal.

I think the RE story is going to lose steam after this game, no matter how gritty this looks. Capcom should consider ending the series soon. RE4 survived because it barely had a connection with the whole Umbrella thing, and Leon was in a new job. Chris is tied to the end of Umbrella, and no doubt his "mission" he hopes to continue through this game is tied to the first three games, and more than likely 4 with the Las Plagas virus.

I can barely wait.

Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Facebook
Twitter
Gene Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
legendarypegasu
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Park View Post
Awe-inspiring.
1) I'm a little uncomfortable with Capcom's insistence in singling out ethnic areas as targets of viral outbreaks. But I think besides Luis Sera's Speedy Gonzales accent, they handled it fairly well in RE4 with Hispanics. I think, if anything, we should be more sympathetic to their plight. There is the whole black=evil thing, but I'll wait and see how everything fleshes out before passing any real judgement.
Completely agree. The game does take part in a 3rd world country. I am crossing my fingers that Capcom uses this setting to their advantage and at least attempts (they don't have to necessarily succeed) at addressing pertinent sociological and political issues. But more than likely it going to come down to a 3rd world = evil, barbaric, people.

I'm wonder why Capcom has decided to go into the route of using ethnic minorities as the zombies, they never did before the RE4, one has to wonder why they are doing it now.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
Gene Park
Critic Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendarypegasu View Post

I'm wonder why Capcom has decided to go into the route of using ethnic minorities as the zombies, they never did before the RE4, one has to wonder why they are doing it now.
I suspect because it evokes at least a different kind of atmosphere and mood than, say, zombies in a mall or police department. It allows the artists to explore possibilities outside of familiar urban areas.

But I don't see why they just don't try to go that extra mile and make standard urban (or suburban) areas more horrific. There's plenty of grime and mood in your traditional metropolitan ghetto. From the trailer, that village doesn't look any more exotic than the homeless tent city or makeshift shanty town down the street.

I'm not saying these kind of locales shouldn't be touched. I'm just saying that Capcom's writers, I ASSUME, aren't the kind of guys who have been in sociology fellowships in Africa or Spain. I'm saying that they're Japanese men raised in a culture rooted in discrimination and stereotypes.

I suspect our concerns will not be the last we hear of this. The trailer just by itself shows a lot of what appears to be a melting pot of traditional tribal stereotypes, with all the ooga booga going on.

I mean shit, when is the viral outbreak gonna hit Japan?

Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Facebook
Twitter
Old 07-26-2007, 10:05 PM   #5
legendarypegasu
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Park View Post
I mean shit, when is the viral outbreak gonna hit Japan?
Hits a little close to home perhaps with the whole SARS thing? I know it never hit Japan, but it must have been scary to see it spreading to countries all around them. I imagine it would be difficult to make a game that entailed a highly recognizable structure in New York being hit be a terrorist in a place.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:12 AM   #6
PoepindeHoogte
Wie weet, denkt niet

Rep Power: 12 PoepindeHoogte is an unknown quantity at this point

That does look pretty well executed visually. African location is quite 'fresh' as well. Actually, i wouldnt be surprised if there'd be a commotion surrounding the game shooting of black people. 'positive' discrimination
PoepindeHoogte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:38 PM   #7
Daniel Weissenberger
Dinosaur Nativity!

Rep Power: 13 Daniel Weissenberger is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll wait until the finished product before I start weighing in on the possibly despicable moral implications, but from the look of the trailer, it really does seem like Capcom's leveraging the idea of Africa as a brutal and chaotic place to give their game additional weight.

This could be a bad thing, or the writers could be attempting to make an incisive commentary about governmental and corporate exploitation of post-colonial Africa, trying to bring attention to the problems in their own awkward, ham-fisted way.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:09 PM   #8
Gene Park
Critic Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Weissenberger View Post
I'll wait until the finished product before I start weighing in on the possibly despicable moral implications, but from the look of the trailer, it really does seem like Capcom's leveraging the idea of Africa as a brutal and chaotic place to give their game additional weight.

This could be a bad thing, or the writers could be attempting to make an incisive commentary about governmental and corporate exploitation of post-colonial Africa, trying to bring attention to the problems in their own awkward, ham-fisted way.
I agree on waiting to pass judgement. I just don't expect a whole lot.

Plus, I don't ever recall a zombie piece where the entire population is of one race, yet Capcom seems insistent on doing so twice. Maybe Bracken might know better than I do, but I can't recall a zombie outbreak staying within one ethnic culture.

Plus, the connotations are a little too great. One white guy strolls in and starts shooting up a whole bunch of voodoo-type black people? Obviously the game won't be as simple as that, but it's an indelible image in my mind.

Maybe the game will open up to Cape Town, where the population is more diverse? I can understand the artistic decision, like Dan said. The trailer has some powerful images of depravity, violence and poverty. I just hope there is some weight behind the images.

Forgot about the SARS scare, and I was near it too. That's understandable, although I think having lived in the region for the past few years, I can tell you fears regarding SARS has gone down considerably and is no longer a hot-button issue or concern.

Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Facebook
Twitter
Old 07-30-2007, 03:35 PM   #9
Adam Brown
32-bit Poster

Given the chicken-scratch that composed the back-of-the-napkin Resident Evil 4 plot, and the constant failures of dialogue which have been more of a plague of the series than any T-virus, I have little faith in Capcom to delve into the socio-political issues in Africa (presuming the location is Africa and not some West Indian island).

Last edited by Adam Brown; 07-31-2007 at 01:32 AM.
Adam Brown is offline   Reply With Quote