About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 03-05-2004, 05:05 PM   #16
Tim Spaeth
Ready to Believe You

STAR WARS: JEDI KNIGHT: JEDI ACADEMY - BEATEN!

FINAL IMPRESSIONS: Not a significant improvement over Jedi Outcast in any way, shape, or form. Still a solid title that grows tedious in the endgame, when forward progress is constantly interrupted by endless lightsaber duels. Yes, it's true, the lightsaber combat is boring.

ENDING IMPRESSIONS: Star Wars games rarely have interesting endings, and Academy is no exception. Some congratulations, a pat on the back, and roll the credits.

REPLAY VALUE: The lure of playing again with a different lightsaber, or of turning to the dark side to see the alternate ending, isn't enough to get me to fire this back up. I will spend some time in deathmatch, but it'll have to be really sexy to keep me there.

OVERALL RATING: 3 out of 5

METROID: ZERO MISSION - BEATEN!

FINAL IMPRESSIONS: Loved every second of it. Loved the revamped levels, loved the new bosses, loved the new powerups, loved the remixed music. A little disappointed at the simplicity of it all, but I had such a good time that it really doesn't matter. The game made me happy.

ENDING IMPRESSIONS: If you count everything after Mother Brain as part of the ending, and I do, then good lord, wasn't it brilliant? Just freaking brilliant! Nintendo knows how to take care its fans.

REPLAY VALUE: I missed the Screw Attack first time around, so I'm going back through my original save to get that and the rest of the powerups (man, that multi-directional speed boost is a pain). I plan on playing hard mode after that.

OVERALL RATING: 5 out of 5
Tim Spaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 08:37 PM   #17
Space Harrier
16-bit Poster

Rep Power: 11 Space Harrier is an unknown quantity at this point
Just finished Hitman 2.

As stealth games go, I'd say it's a notch below Metal Gear and Splinter Cell, but it still rocked.
Space Harrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:18 AM   #18
Havblue
Hat Town Resident

Beat this year:

Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
Star Wars: KOTOR
Deus Ex 2: IW

Backburner:

Crimson Skies (Chicago)
Culdcept (5th match)
FFX-2 (3rd mission)
Halo (froze in fear at the Library)
Hitman 2 (assault on Japanese crime boss)
Morrowind (getting Hualuu to think I'm Jesus or something)
Project Gotham 2 (Pacific Muscle)

Which ones am I missing out on the most?
Havblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 07:24 PM   #19
Kin Korn Karn

Ooh, I like the "backburer" idea. My BB:

-Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
-Disgaea
-Fire Emblem
-Mario Kart DD
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 11:17 PM   #20
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Just finished Onimusha 2 tonight, and right before that i finished PSO III C.A.R.D.

prior to that was Kya, and before that... i dunno. i lost track.

^_^
Old 03-08-2004, 01:58 AM   #21
Jacob_Hohn
Parried a bullet once.

I finished ZOE2 yesterday morning. I tried to do it the night before but I just needed sleep too badly. I'm considering running through it again immediatly or maybe waiting a while.
Jacob_Hohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 09:51 AM   #22
jwe8k
Severed Jedi hand

Right now:
Re-beating Metroid Prime on hard. Will get 100% of items for first time, too. Missed a crucial scan, so 100% scans is not going to happen for this run. I've got all four beams and visors and maybe half of the artifacts, I'm going through making sure I have most of the upgrades, too. I haven't used a guide yet, I'm just going through really pickily and getting way more than I did on my first play through (after finally noticing that the upgrades make noise). I'll use a guide to get the remnants after I beat hard mode for the first time, probably.

Backburner:
Thief 2-had it for years and as much as I love it, it's too stressful for me or something. With the 3rd one coming out soon, though, I have to finish it
Mario and Luigi-got maybe halfway through and the holiday season made me forget it
KOTOR-bought it and the beginning hour or two bored the hell out of me... should I give it another chance?
FFX-decided to give a JRPG a chance. I actually loved FF2 & 3 (4 & 6?) on the SNES and enjoyed the first half or so of this game but then fizzled out. If I go back, it's been so long that I may have to re-start (that won't happen).
A couple of games that I got for $7 each at blockbuster-Resident Evil and Agent Under Fire. People like Resident Evil? I may not try to beat it. Agent Under Fire is ok but I can't get excited enough to put it in more often than once a month.
both GTAs-I've got both and never beat either. The hype will probably cause me to get the third one, which I'll never finish.

Last edited by jwe8k; 03-08-2004 at 09:54 AM.
jwe8k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 10:31 AM   #23
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally posted by jwe8k
I haven't used a guide yet, I'm just going through really pickily and getting way more than I did on my first play through (after finally noticing that the upgrades make noise).
Hah, I didn't notice that until I started my second playthrough and I had turned off the music. I was like "DUH!", heh.

An addition to my backburner/working on:

-Phantasy Star Collection - playing the first one right now. This will probably be my 496th time to beat the game, but the first time on the GBA.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 01:37 PM   #24
Havblue
Hat Town Resident

Quote:
Originally posted by jwe8k

KOTOR-bought it and the beginning hour or two bored the hell out of me... should I give it another chance?
The game's tutorial was a bit overwhelming, and KOTOR remained on my shelf for a month after I bought it. Eventually, I played the opening level over again, read a faq to get a better understanding of what feats do what and I proceeded through the game, enjoying myself as I went.
Havblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 08:07 PM   #25
stop acting 12
Equip w/ Quick Boomerang

Rep Power: 11 stop acting 12 is an unknown quantity at this point
I whipped Ninja Gaiden earlier.
stop acting 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 08:33 PM   #26
ferrarimanf355
Reborn Simpsons Fan

Rep Power: 14 ferrarimanf355 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ferrarimanf355 Send a message via MSN to ferrarimanf355 Send a message via Yahoo to ferrarimanf355
I beat Return To Castle Wolfenstien recently, and I'm working on the Grand Theft Auto Double Pack. I just got a strategy guide, so that should be accelerated a little bit.
ferrarimanf355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 04:07 AM   #27
Jiggy
8-Bit Poster

I just finished Beyond Good & Evil yesterday and I totally enjoyed every minute of it from the sneaking around to the music. The camera wasn't a godsend but like people say about the res evil controls (sometimes) "it adds to the game."
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 06:58 AM   #28
Jiggy
8-Bit Poster

the camera that you control your perspective, after playing mario sunshine and wind waker using the right analogue stick for camera control was second nature after a few minutes of play.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:24 AM   #29
stratu
Golden Bug Collector

I finished Beyond Good and Evil a week ago - my God what a great great game, and never too frustrating! Having the continues so close together was genius and so welcome (goddamn you Metroid Prime!)

Man, everything about it, just about (that Mammago song was irritating, but who cares? That's almost nothing) was brilliant (kudos here to Gene's review - yes yes, the only negative point was that it was too short, I wanted so bad to be able to spend more time in this world).

Anyway, too short as it was, it's still totally worth the clams because I've dived straight back into it - this time I'm gonna get photos of very single one of those bugs and animals and human/animal hybrids!

And I'm dreaming of a White Christmas with a BG&E sequel!
stratu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 12:42 PM   #30
Jiggy
8-Bit Poster

I heard through the grapevine that there isn't going to be a sequel but we can hope