About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 05-25-2014, 10:25 PM   #751
gamevet

Re: What are you playing right now?

I put my old Core2Quad (Q9650) rig back together for the living room a couple of months ago. I decided to play some (somewhat) older titles on that rig, but I've had to do a little over-clocking to push the CPU to 3.4 Ghz, so it could run some of the more demanding titles, while also trying to keep up with my old GTX 670.

Grand Theft Auto IV: I'm liking this game more than GTA V. Everything just feels more open and it doesn't feel like I'm as obligated to jump to the next mission as I am in GTA V. This game wasn't exactly PC optimized, and it asks a lot from my older C2Q CPU. I tried to put this game on my i5 rig, but it seems to think that my GPU is the integrated HD3000 (512k of VRAM) inside of the CPU, and I couldn't get it to recognize my GTX 780.

Fuel: This game is part Dirt and Burnout Paradise thrown together to make a somewhat enjoyable racing experience. The mix of vehicles to race is okay, but overall it just feels like a very average racer.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #752
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbatou View Post
I'm an hour or so into Transistor as well, on the PC. The thing I'm enjoying most is the game's mystery. I don't really know who my character is yet, or how the world works, but so far the game has done a great job at teasing just enough information to stay intriguing without giving everything away. I still have high hopes for this game.
It's certainly quite stylish, and I hope the story is worth waiting for. I need to get my head around the combat, the fact I lose abilities etc and swap them around the different slots, is quite confusing - I never really know what I am selecting with each face button (slots are mapped to square, circle, triangle etc on console).
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:41 AM   #753
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Drove for the first time in Laguna Seca. Was not happy with the handling, so decided to reset it. Got even worse. Retried stubbornly for one hour. No chance. Hardly came around the first corner no matter what i changed.
Restarted the game because i realized maybe the left shoulder button, the brake, doesn't work at all. Although it works outside the game to switch between apps.
And that was the case!
God damn. Similar bullshit like in Smart As... where the touchscreen was unloaded (only within the game) or whatever.
How can this even be possible that part of the controls just disappear/deinitialize?

Now i will always question in any game if i made a wrong input or the HW just messes around. Fun times.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:45 AM   #754
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Didn't go back to Transistor yet, not feeling it.

I am full-bore on OOTP though, assembled the most amazing team ever. Got swept by the Cubs in the NLDS. The Cubs!
Old 06-01-2014, 08:59 PM   #755
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Mario Kart 8: Easily the best looking Mario game. Seeing the Mushroom Kingdom with all of the lighting, and texture you expect from a modern game is amazing. Can't wait for the Mario 64-like game.

Watch Dogs: This game has been getting mixed reviews and I don't think people who visit this message board will like it, but I have enjoyed my time with it so far. I played at least 4 hours of it last night and maybe only one hour of that time was playing the main campaign. The map is huge with a lot to do.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #756
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by abfackeln View Post
I don't think people who visit this message board will like it
Hey now!

I know I won't like it, as I haven't liked an Ubi game for the last forever, and this appears to be more of the same, but I think we are all fairly grounded here and like a decent mix of good games, leaning more to the mainstream than the 'pretentious indie' side of things

It's just there's not enough critical mass here to even have two people playing the same game at once except on rare occasions.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:23 AM   #757
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Playing Armored Core - Verdict Day.

Oh boy... I might write a piece about my experiences once I have some time. Just too busy at work right now
Old 06-07-2014, 06:53 AM   #758
Pedro
128-bit Poster

More mechs?

I am playing (and have been totally surprised by) Trine 2 Complete (PS4 PS+ freebie).

It's great. It's a puzzle platformer where you control one avatar at a time but can switch between a thief, wizard and knight to use their different skills (grappling hook, stacking crates, fighting, essentially). Each character then has a skill tree which opens up new abilities.

The environments are graphically lovely, and the puzzles are just in the sweet spot that lets you figure them out easily enough). Multiple solutions open up as you gain abilities for the characters. I imagine this is very well done - I have solved some and gone, I would have no idea how to do that if I hadn't selected this new ability for the wizard, for example. Implying that other abilities would have given you other solutions.

I am hugely impressed. Just a bit worried that the game may be endless - there seems an awful lot of trophies related to finishing levels.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:55 AM   #759
Pedro
128-bit Poster

If the above-mentioned wizard sounds like the worst wizard ever, not only does he stack crates, but he is able to make them materialise out of thin air. Pretty impressive I am sure you'll agree.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #760
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Very little. Bought the Pinball Arcade season one tables again in the ps4 (half price) and have mostly been playing those. The harem sneak in and the 5x bonus on Tales and Genie continue to elude me on next gen
Old 06-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #761
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I've been playing The Walking Dead and the first Uncharted, both in an attempt to recapture the magic of The Last of Us.

I'm really enjoying my time with The Walking Dead. It's got as many awkward scenes as great ones, but its low points haven't kept me from becoming heavily invested in the story. I plan on picking up The Wolf Among Us as soon as I finish it.

Uncharted is a bad game. I wish I'd skipped it and started the series with Uncharted 2, which I'm hoping will be much better.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #762
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Have never played Uncharted 1; I enjoyed 2 when I played it but don't remember too much about it apart from one or two big set pieces. Maybe don't get your hopes up too much

3 is poor.

In my ongoing gaming drought, I have started playing Don Bradman Cricket 14 (PS3). It seems good, it is dead difficult, so at least you're not going out and hitting boundaries straight away.

The animations, commentary, presentation etc are all poor, but the game seems to be actually a good cricket game, if you learn to live with some things like superhuman fielders.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:11 PM   #763
gamevet

I picked up the Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster for the PS3. I've put in about 3.5 to 4 hours into Final Fantasy X, so far, and I'm having a great time with it. There a moments where I'd cringe at the horrible lip-syncing and occasional slowdown during large boss battles, but the game reminds me of why I loved those Japanese RPGs in the 90's and early 2000s.

I started playing the PC version of Watch Dogs @ a couple of weeks ago. The game is poorly optimized for the PC and has frame-rate issues while driving around the city. It's an okay rip-off of GTA and the hacking feels more like an obstruction to enjoying the game. I'm kind of losing interest in it, after about 10 hours of playtime.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:11 AM   #764
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Played Hotline Miami in the past week.
I like the short levels and no nonsense, i.e. instant, retry mechanics (sort of like Meat Boy, Trials or Trackmania).
Controls feel somewhat sloppy. Surprisingly even more on the PS3, less on the Vita with its small sticks.
Simple high tension gameplay with a weird story and great music.
I thought it might be like GTA 1 or 2, which i played less than the install time was, and probably it is similar to those games, but maybe like other simplistic games: Cut a lot of content, make it "pure" and thus reduce the fun to exactly one fun element. You either like it or not. No possibility to just like parts of it and abhor others.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:25 AM   #765
QXZ
They hit me with a truck

Send a message via AIM to QXZ Send a message via Yahoo to QXZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Very little. Bought the Pinball Arcade season one tables again in the ps4 (half price) and have mostly been playing those. The harem sneak in and the 5x bonus on Tales and Genie continue to elude me on next gen
Still having trouble with Harem Multiball on Arabian Nights? You know the left loop that often leads to a locked all? You'll have to make that shot when there's a purple/pink light instead of a blue one. Five shots, and Harem should be yours.

As for Genie, the 5x bonus multiplier's mor difficult in practice than in theory. If you look closely at the set of four drop targets near the lower right flippers, there's a light that comes on after hitching certain targets. If you hit one while the light's on, that's going to increase your multiplier. However, it'll have to be turned back on after each multiplier increase. Hope that helps.

I've been holding off on Pinball Arcade for the PS3 for the past couple weeks. Reason being, I've been eagerly anticipating one upcoming table -- Black Knight 2000 -- for the PS3 since it was announced three months ago. After checking on the official Pinball Arcade page earlier today, it's been scheduled for "3rd Quarter, 2014".

I will say, though, that I've been playing Pinball Arcade for the Mac through Steam. The only tables I have for this version so far are Arabian Nights (still excellent), Black Hole (with a cool inverted lower table), the Theatre of Magic (not bad, but I can only take the overwrought organ music for so long), Ripley's Believe It or Not! (interesting license and theme, but otherwise forgettable), and Terminator 2: Judgment Day (not a great use of the license, but the table's design and gameplay are sublime; easily one of the best tables available on any platform).

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
-- Adam Savage of
Mythbusters

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.co.../GreenPuyo.png
QXZ is offline   Reply With Quote