About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 02-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #706
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Re: What are you playing right now?

Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:19 AM   #707
gamevet

What is that, Dark Souls?
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #708
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Demon's Souls
Old 02-10-2014, 03:05 AM   #709
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Thanks to PS+ i yet again have access to a game i never ever would have tried otherwise:
Dynasty Warriors Next (Vita)
The background seems super interesting but it's almost like fanservice. It seems that you have to know the details beforehand to understand what the story tries to tell the player. Sad. Because it sounds like awesome stuff for more than one game, and for different genres. Instead they crammed a whole time period in without caring that all details get lost and only some core points remain.
Gameplay is rather simple. Almost Diablo like. Basically button mashing. Sort of reminds me of Brutal Legend with Total War scale.
Actually that sounds awesome but it isn't.
I don't like it, but i will probably finish the Campaign. Just to get to know it a little better and don't write it off to early.

Hyrule Warriors seems like a super weird idea. Hyrule seems to lack a story to give a proper similar foundation.
But i have no idea how popular this game is in Asia and for what it is liked. Gameplay is no strong point imo, but the sketchy storytelling can't be either? So maybe it will save the wii u. Or rather not.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #710
Pedro
128-bit Poster

The impression I get of those games is that they are all about the grind - that they hit the sweet spot for a certain type of gamer who is happy to inch along to the end game upgrading everything +1 at a time.

Much like the meta game of playing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Demon's Souls
for the Platinum trophy....again. Only the best game ever made, gamevet!

I haven't been playing much though, dipping my toes. I went back to DayZ to find that my last save didn't actually save any of my previous 3 hours play session. Just when I'd got myself really kitted out too, with a gun and everything. I didn't even get to shoot anyone. So I went back to the village where I found the gun to find it had already been cleaned out by some other player. I am currently crouched in a bare upstairs room in the same village.

Madden Madden Madden. Season 3 has started, I am 1-1 and trying to get better on Defense.

Also I started Metro Last Light which is free on PS+ (how much free advertising does that service get??). Very early days and it is more story than shooter at the moment. I really like that, I wish all shooters were mostly story. I haven't played it in a week though so there's a danger I lose impetus and don't go back to it.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #711
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Gran Turismo 6 again. Did the first two S-races, once I realized how the pit stop works that wasn't an issue. I do notice the AI is much faster and aggressive now. Next up is the Suzuka 10 lap challenge, where I already learned that switching to intermediates doesn't help all that much for just a little rain.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #712
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Spent a bit more time with Demons this weekend.

With all the White World Tendency events done, yesterday I moved World 2 to Pure Black and killed the primeval demon in 2-1, as well as Black Phantom Scirvir in 2-2 to begin inching towards White Character tendency (I am +1, only 4 more BPs to go).

Today I thought I'd rinse 4-1 but I'm dying again and again to those goddamn skeletons. The ones in the tunnels are the absolute worst. I've lost about 65000 souls already (about two character level ups at this stage). Their roll attack staggers me outright.

However I did trade Sparkly the Crow a Gold Mask and a Talisman of God, for two more colourless demons' souls so I am sorted now to get all the miracles in this play through (Recovery requires 3 souls plus killing a primeval demon in the current playthrough).

Souls Chat!
Old 02-23-2014, 03:23 PM   #713
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Banished, a PC city builder made by just one guy apparently (obligatory mention).

It's quite fun, I'm only ten years in and my villagers are breeding like rabbits (47 adults now). I'm actually thinking of not building a hospital in a bid to keep the population down. I guess I have to modernise fast.

Here's a picture of the village a few short moments ago, when there were only 28 adults.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:33 AM   #714
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Still playing Gran Turismo 6 (surprise!), got some of my previously only silver- or bronze-level licenses to gold, finally getting my head around how to do the kart races and finished some more S-races.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #715
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Banished (PC) for most of the week - really nice, simple building/management game. As people all over the web have stated, it is great until you figure out the systems. After that, what is left is the achievements as gameplay goals. Not to disparage it though, a really good game.

Madden - lost to the Saints yesterday, 34-24. Had a fumble on the 1-yd line for the second week in a row. Chargers are 5-2 and lead their Div, with the easy games over.

Demon's Souls - finished 3.2, 3.3, 5.2, 5.3 on NG+ and got the Miracles trophy. Just 1.6 playthroughs left now (3 BPs to kill, 7 boss souls for the Spells, and the weapon upgrades including pure bladestone left to do). Oh, I am also kinda stuck on Penetrator (Biorr is dead). Annoying.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #716
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall
Now, that's more like it! A core team of runners, pick & choose missions, a hub area where you can always return to and while the over-arching story is still easy to predict (so far), the writing from run to run is pretty strong and leaves usually a number of different approaches (i.e. different ways of messing up). Quite like it so far.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:12 PM   #717
JLB1987
Sex machine

Hey guys, been away for a while, lots of personal shit has ensured I haven't had time to really invest in games, not to mention, I only have my laptop to play on at the moment. Hopefully I can get back to contributing regularly on here.

Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine Only put a couple of hours in so far, and only on single-player. But it's really fun. A bit more arcade-y than I was expecting, but it follows it's own rules, so everything seems predictable. If you screw up, it's likely your own fault. Very tense, and I can't wait to put some time into MP.

Just downloaded Sanitarium, as it was on offer on GOG.com- get it quick if you're interested. It looks interesting and bizarre, but not *too* scary for me (if it makes me jump I'll stop playing), so I'm looking forward to seeing what it's all about.

Currently playing: Prison Architect, Serious Sam HD
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #718
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Woh woh woh! Welcome back dude, good to see you around these parts again

Everyone else: cancel that tombstone we ordered. Or at least chisel off Jlb's name from under Rob and Zippy's
Old 03-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #719
JLB1987
Sex machine

Thanks I thought this place could probably do with some livening up hope the other regulars make a return also!

Sanitarium is truly great so far. Very creepy, and I'm only on the second chapter. I can only describe it as Planescape: Torment, with none of the combat, and twice the confusion. Very unsettling- the moments of unexpected humour only accentuating how dark the game is. Not for everyone- a diary entry touching on subjects of domestic abuse and murder was difficult reading- but I've not played anything else quite like this.

Currently playing: Prison Architect, Serious Sam HD
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:33 PM   #720
Pedro
128-bit Poster

You haven't missed a huge amount. There are so few of us now the Game of the Year vote was hung - everything got one vote each. But we gave it to Gone Home, I think.

Also, Zanbatou is finishing 50 (fifty) games this year. Currently the over/under on him is 5 (five) games.

On topic: I haven't played anything for about a week (working late, away for weekend, ennui). I'm wondering if I'll be able to blast through Metro Last Light before Dark Souls II on Friday but probably not.