About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 10-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #2086
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Beyond: Two Souls

Fantastic stuff. If you liked Heavy Rain, you'll love this - better in all ways. That said, there are some horrible missteps, but it's possible to put those aside like the occasional bad level in an otherwise good game.

The budget must have been astronomical.

The acting performances are incredible (apart from the dubious decision to hire Willem Dafoe and his big gargoyle head), and the game actually works as a game. Though railroaded to some extent, I felt that I made plenty of significant and difficult personal decisions along the way. Playing a young child growing up alone was heartbreaking throughout.

Top quality. Wouldn't mind discussing it further if anyone else completes it.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #2087
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Top quality. Wouldn't mind discussing it further if anyone else completes it.
That probably has to wait until November or even December
Old 10-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #2088
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Because of your PS issues? They sound pretty useless at PSN. I've got a refund off them before for a downloadable game, but it took a week as there seems to be no way to contact them except via ticket.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #2089
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

The PSN issues didn't help but mostly it's due to time constraints. I've just started watching the Wire, of which the box set was lying next to my tv for more than a year. The Last of Us I haven't played further than 2 hours so far. I still want to play more Papers, Please and my SL1 game of Dark Souls needs to be completed before Dark Souls 2 comes out. That's not even covering Yakuza 4, Far Cry 2, the Cat Lady, Project Sylpheed and a dozen other games I wanted to at least have a look at. XCOM Enemy Within coming out next month as well! Oh, and I still plan to conquer the world in Mount & Blade, so far I only have about a fifth ;-) and that only covers part of my 'do at home stuff' and none of my 'do outside stuff'. Need more time!

Hence: not earlier than November/December
Old 11-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #2090
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Lost Planet 3

An excellent game, amazing even. Good story (mostly), great production values, cool world, and as others have said, a nice slow meditation on a working man away from home doing what he has to do. The Mech that you get to stomp around in is excellent, and there is weight to everything you do, stomping and shooting. The parallels with Alien (Aliens really) are very apparent, and as someone else said, you could do a lot worse than give the Aliens franchise to these guys. Superb in almost every way.

Apart of course for the boss fights. These will probably appeal to quite a few people, and you can see the logic behind them. And once you beat the boss, you say, that wasn't too bad really.

However, they're overly long, rely almost completely on QTEs (which even on Easy were hard for me to hit in time), and turned me into such a seething ball of frustration that I literally wanted to snap the disc in two on half a dozen separate occasions. I mean, I actually had to prevent myself ejecting the disc, smashing it, and firing it out the window. 6 times.

If you have leet skillz, this should be no issue for you really. Even if you don't have those skills, like me, it's worth checking out because it does so much right.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #2091
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Hotline Miami (PS3)

What a great little game. I can't really say much about it but that it was a joy to play (and frustrating at times), with small levels, level design that kept you guesssing, great gameplay which combined action and strategy, great music. On the downside, the epilogue that they tacked on to explain the story was terrible, I guess in the great tradition of videogame endings. They added this as bonus levels after the original game was finished, I believe. They shouldn't have bothered - without that the story was excellent, I thought, and left the game open to interpretation.

Amazing stuff all the same. Superb game.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #2092
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Assassin's Creed III
A good game, but not great. Did not live up to my expectations, particularly the amazing setting. Still had fun, even completed some non-vital side missions. My first game in the series, but can't say I will be visiting any of the others.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:31 AM   #2093
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
can't say I will be visiting any of the others.
I think the others (apart from the very first one) are supposed to be much better though? For me, the first one was such a snorefest that I never tried any more, but I heard the follow-ups are very good if you like that type of thing...
Old 11-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #2094
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
I think the others (apart from the very first one) are supposed to be much better though? For me, the first one was such a snorefest that I never tried any more, but I heard the follow-ups are very good if you like that type of thing...
For me, the appeal of the Assassin's Creed franchise is the historical setting, but really only part 3 and the recently released 4 spark that interest. Without a setting that interests me, not sure I'd be willing to plod through the first few games in the series. Not sure I'll try the fourth game, but maybe when the price is low enough.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #2095
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

XCOM Enemy Within, as described in the aptly named thread here on the forums.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #2096
Pedro
128-bit Poster

State of Decay (PC)

What a fantastic game. Open world resource gathering and stronghold building, done extremely well. It was possibly a bit too easy. There were some repetitive elements. I would have liked to see greater emphasis on the skills of your survivors, and I didn't feel connected to any of the characters, but hey, you can't have everything.

Possibly the best zombie-themed game I have played so far. I'll probably check out the DLC at some stage, which puts you in the world with the objective of escaping with 5 others, then when you do that it puts the 5 of you back into the same world with scarcer resources and stronger zombies, and so on.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #2097
Kin Korn Karn

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds was a nice stroll down memory lane. It was everything I enjoyed about gaming as a kid and had some stronger challenges to keep it interesting. It got me to pick up my 3DS, and start using that platform more regularly.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #2098
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Gone Home (PC)

Mixed feelings about this one. On one hand, the entire game could have been delivered as a PowerPoint slideshow with much the same effect (I'm exaggerating a little ). On the other hand, it was an excellent story, well told and extremely well acted. I missed out on some of the story bits (the safe!), but I read up on the game immediately after (good coverage on RPS) and was very impressed how deep that was.

On one hand, I agree with Sparky's review on this site, where he complains about the gating of the game and the reveal or resolution of all the three plot strands happening in the same place. On the other hand, I was touched by the story and the attention to detail that went into the environment was just great. No more here, cos spoilers, but well worth checking out.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #2099
Pedro
128-bit Poster

The Stanley Parable (PC)

Yes. Very amusing.

I think that's me finished all the games I'm gonna finish this year. I don't think the most recent catchup games on PC have affected my GoTY votes.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:45 AM   #2100
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Nihilumbra (PC)

Simplistic platformer. Good.

Although, finishing it seems to have unlocked a new, rock-hard mode. I have died 15 times within the first 4 seconds so far. Not sure if I'll persevere with this, I'm calling it completed.