About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 07-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #616
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Re: What are you playing right now?

I guess we are all out in the sun rather than playing games! Summer, eh?

One recent place the unopenable doors annoyed me was the Lower Undead Burg in Dark Souls - if some open, why can't they all? But usually I don't mind if they are signposted (the Last of Us) as locked.

I have got my Top Spin 4 player to Level 20 and am due to enter a tournament this weekend/next week. Full of fear and trepidation.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #617
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I have a problem with enjoying all that many video games lately. Spec Ops spoiled most shooters for me, Dark Souls pretty much every other game. Currently I'm playing a bit of Civ 5 on a map of earth, as Austrians who have the funny ability to annex city-states by marriage. Austria covers now the Americas and just took over Prague in Africa. Now I try to figure out how to deal with the Americans in Africa or if I should get to the Persians down in Australia?
Old 07-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #618
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I know what you mean: I have been flailing about aimlessly for a couple of months now, nothing is grabbing me.

I got a couple of cheap, short games in the Steam Sale today - Little Inferno, Proteus and Starseed Pilgrim - just to tide me over. They're not really games as such, I suppose, but the first two are short enough that I will feel like I'm ticking along, I think.

Some good deals - To the Moon is cheap, X3: Terran Conflict is less than 3 euros! A massive game for nothing at all there.

Far Cry 2 and all DLC is 2.99. Incredible.

Edit: that sounds like a wacky game of Civ.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #619
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Ah, I forgot the tournament. It was/is the community tournament of another gaming website I tend to visit (German). As it turns out there are a couple of Masters in the roster and generally people who, unlike me, didn't stop playing after finishing the Wings of Liberty campaign and reaching silver league. I haven't even played HotS so far, so I was completely unprepaired and the games were rather one sided. I had two sets of 3 games each, losing all of them. Hence I was out. The very last game I lost to devious cheese, damn Zerg! Was fun though, perhaps I can get myself to buy HotS at some point and prepare better next time. But then again, I could just play some Dark Souls

@Civ: the wacky 'alternate history' stuff is one of the things I love about Civ. Like the last game I had, where I was playing as America after a nuclear war where everyone was back to spearmen, creeping the way back up to having modern weapons and taking back Seattle from the Spanish knights raiding it.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:30 AM   #620
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I liked that video - DS has really shaped the gaming zeitgeist (am I using that right?). I'm looking forward to all the games that attempt to copy it over the next few years - hopefully it will inform the indie scene too.

I played a bit of Little Inferno last night. It is quirky and fun. The basic mechanics are that you set fire to various bits and pieces you order from a catalogue, and these then reward you with cash, with which you can order more. You are given combo targets, eg Timebomb, where you combine an alarm clock and a mini nuke, for example. Burning stuff unlocks more catalogues and combos. It's a puzzle game, basically. The burning effects are quite good.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:05 AM   #621
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Our Game of the Year discussion is going to be a quiet one this year.

btw, did JLB ever finish The Walking Dead? I am still amazed at the love for that game.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #622
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Our Game of the Year discussion is going to be a quiet one this year.

btw, did JLB ever finish The Walking Dead? I am still amazed at the love for that game.
Yep. I'm amazed for the love of it as a game. The main aspect of the gameplay is making choices, which don't seem to vary the outcome much (didn't kick this person out of your group? Doesn't matter, they leave of their own accord later in the episode anyway). The quality of the episodes nosedives after the second one. I thought it told it's story well, though. Won't be buying the second season.

Still think Red Dead Redemption multi-player is the pinnacle of gaming, even if I am awful at it.

Currently playing: Prison Architect, Serious Sam HD
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:35 AM   #623
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
did JLB ever finish The Walking Dead? I am still amazed at the love for that game.
These two statements are not connected, by the way, in case you think I was having a dig! I'd just seen some effusive article on another site, and was responding to that really. And I was kinda wondering if you got past chapter 2 which was where the game broke for me, and was your last update, I think.

Glad you got past Chapter 2 at any rate!
Old 07-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #624
JLB1987
Sex machine

Oh, I didn't think anything of the kind, I just couldn't be bothered to edit the quote to only the part that directly addressed me

I thought episode 2 was brilliant, I wish the game carried on with an overall arc, but focused on an individual story each time. I remember that whole episode being genuinely shocking to me (even if the twist was obvious long before it was revealed).

Old 07-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #625
QXZ
They hit me with a truck

Send a message via AIM to QXZ Send a message via Yahoo to QXZ

I'm just going to give a heads-up on my end.

After 150+ hours on Black Ops 2's multiplayer mode, I've found the straw that broke the camel's back: The core combat is shit. If you've been perusing this topic in the past few weeks, you're probably already aware of my disdain toward Black Ops 2's melee combat. Now I can officially say that the gunplay is comparatively poor, since it favors weapon selection over marksmanship. With the only exception being sniper rifles, a bullet to the head is equally as damaging as a bullet to the foot.

Looks like it's about high time I tackle the Campaign and Zombies mode. Maybe by the time August comes around, I'll be confident enough to post a review of Black Ops 2 for the GameCritics community.

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
-- Adam Savage of
Mythbusters

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.co.../GreenPuyo.png
QXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #626
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

I am pretty busy selling and buying houses. My consoles are packed up and I don't have much time. Shin Megami Tensei IV came in the mail yesterday. I hope to get some play time with that.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #627
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by QXZ View Post
After 150+ hours on Black Ops 2's multiplayer mode, I've found the straw that broke the camel's back: The core combat is shit.
This is hilarious. Are you Crackajack in disguise (platinumed Demon's Souls despite it being 'terrible')?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abfackeln View Post
I am pretty busy selling and buying houses. My consoles are packed up and I don't have much time. Shin Megami Tensei IV came in the mail yesterday. I hope to get some play time with that.
Congrats on the new home!

I have been playing (or rather dipping into):

A couple of minutes on Starseed Pilgrim (PC). Bewildering.

Proteus (PC) - 'completion time': 26 mins. Errrrrrrrrr.

Pinball Arcade - continue to utterly fail at meeting the standard table goals on this. Starting to get more consistent high(er) scores though. Pinball is mysterious and exciting.

TopSpin 4 - played my first two online games against people at roughly the same level, won one, lost one. Tournament starting this week. I'm struggling to get beyond a certain level though (Grans Slam Semi Finals on Normal).
Old 07-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #628
JLB1987
Sex machine

Surgeon Simulator 2013 Pretty fun. I've had to use walkthroughs to get past the first two levels, as the game is pretty... pedantic (for example, I know I have to cut something, but don't know where to cut it even though it shouldn't matter- the game's just really strict). Not a simulator by any means. The first level asks the player to perform a heart transplant, which entails smashing/ cutting the ribcage, taking out both lungs, spleen, and liver to get to the heart. Unforgiving, but a lot of fun.

Also, I love the meta-game on Steam- earning cards through buying stuff and playing stuff. Not because I want to collect meaningless, virtual cards, but because you can sell them. I've made 1 from doing practically nothing, which I've put towards a copy of Railroad Tycoon 3- saving me 33%. Can't believe people care enough about "Steam badges" and what have you to BUY fake trading cards, but if it means I get games that are on sale for even cheaper, I'm all for it. Not bad, considering I haven't gone out of my way to do this.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #629
QXZ
They hit me with a truck

Send a message via AIM to QXZ Send a message via Yahoo to QXZ

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by QXZ View Post
I'm just going to give a heads-up on my end.

After 150+ hours on Black Ops 2's multiplayer mode, I've found the straw that broke the camel's back: The core combat is shit. If you've been perusing this topic in the past few weeks, you're probably already aware of my disdain toward Black Ops 2's melee combat. Now I can officially say that the gunplay is comparatively poor, since it favors weapon selection over marksmanship. With the only exception being sniper rifles, a bullet to the head is equally as damaging as a bullet to the foot.
This is hilarious. Are you Crackajack in disguise (platinumed Demon's Souls despite it being 'terrible')?
Nope. For one thing, I haven't played Demon's Souls yet, which means I haven't gotten a platinum on it.

Getting back to Black Ops 2, I will say that it took me about 100 or so multiplayer hours to come to the realization that this game isn't close to being a top-tier game. Right now, I'm suspending -- if not outright terminating -- my online involvement with the game. However, I am still making observations about the game from passive dummy sessions (basically "me vs. me").

Quote:
I have been playing (or rather dipping into):
Pinball Arcade - continue to utterly fail at meeting the standard table goals on this. Starting to get more consistent high(er) scores though. Pinball is mysterious and exciting.
I think you'll get the satisfaction from completing them as your skills and scores improve from each table. Just play as normal, and there's no doubt you'll be able to complete them all.

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
-- Adam Savage of
Mythbusters

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.co.../GreenPuyo.png
QXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #630
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Shadowrun Returns
The first major kickstarter release in a sense, as it's the first game with more than 1 million $ budget that's released and was built from scratch. Unlike e.g. Giana Sisters, which was pretty much done by the time the kickstarter went live and treated the crowdfunding-platform as an elaborate pre-order machine.

Is it any good?

I only put in 2 hours so far, but so far it's pretty neat. It's very story-driven with some combat in between. I already encountered a couple of fights that I could simply circumvent by being nice to people. The game feels more like a point & click adventure at times, with a lot of dialogue and colourful characters. The writing is good so far and strikes the tone of Shadowrun quite nicely. They didn't fall into the bioware-pitfall either, that dialogues would just go on forever. My fairly charismatic decker got shot 3 times already, resulting in a restart of the respective area. This is the only real drawback so far: autosaves. It can be a bit annoying when you almost finished a level and get punched to death by the very last enemy, just to do everything again. Well, more once I get further.