About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Industry News

Notices

Old 06-20-2013, 04:43 AM   #16
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: So... the XBox One then...

Let's rename the Xbox One into Xbox 180, symbolizing what MS did:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...m-today-report

no more always online requirement
used games can be resold again
discs are not only vouchers and can act as coasters as soon as the game is downloaded and installed

so what happened to the "power of the cloud", without which the new Xboxox games apparently don't work 'properly'? Or will you have big warning labels on the games themselves "Does not work without cloud"? Can we trust Microsoft to not simply change terms and conditions 3 years into the new console cycle?
Old 06-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #17
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Let's rename the Xbox One into Xbox 180
MS is probably more happy with that than with XBone.

Quote:
so what happened to the "power of the cloud"
nothing? Still only available for actually always on people.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #18
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
nothing? Still only available for actually always on people.
They claimed the "power of the cloud" would be a game-changer (somehow, have been quite fuzzy about the specifics apart from Turn 10 with their oddly named 'Drive-atar'). So games are not changed anymore or do we have to connect to the internet now either way when playing on Xbone (:P) and the U turn is just a marketing ploy?
Old 06-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #19
Pedro
64-bit Poster

There seems to be a lot of people coming out of the woodwork today saying, "Are you happy now, you entitled whiners?"

This is very weird.

I'm looking forward to a few years down the line when somebody writes a book about what MS were thinking. I find it fascinating that they misjudged this so badly.

I would love to find out what figures etc they are basing their strategy on. I can see them targeting the Bro Gamer and teenagers(or people who get stuff bought for them).

But to just cast aside everyone else? Incredible.

[edit] I'm glad MS have seen sense; hopefully the competition will keep Sony honest.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #20
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I liked this guy's post on the Gizmodo article:

Quote:
Totally agree. Thought MS was really moving things forward with the X1 while PS4 was basically an updated PS3. We all know that the graphical leap between console generations isn't what it used to be. There needs to be something more than just upgraded hardware to make these things next-gen. Pushing towards an all digital system was the best thing that MS was doing.

Of course there would be a transition and blowback but can't believe how bad it was. People love to whine and complain and act entitled. Some of the comments about the DRM, online connection have been insane. People need to understand, you don't need to play videogames, you don't need a new console. These are fun things that we spend a pretty good chunk of money on because we want to, not because we need to. People acting like MS was threatening their rights is crazy. If we are living in a world were our content is Digital, our music, movies, games, etc there will be DRM of some sort. If not, I would buy one copy of a game and give it to 100 people. How many of the people screaming about DRM are the same people that torrent every episode of Game of Thrones?

I'm pretty bummed that MS gave into a bunch of screaming children. Really they were moving forward making an awesome console with great new features while Sony was essentially upgrading the hardware of the PS3. Now MS is taking quite a big step back. Hopefully they can regain their footing and continue to move forward
Old 06-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #21
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
There seems to be a lot of people coming out of the woodwork today saying, "Are you happy now, you entitled whiners?"

This is very weird.
Yes, I don't really understand what's 'entitled' about protecting consumers rights? But these obnoxious commenters are crawling around everywhere now. Let's see if they make MS to turn another 180 so that we go full circle and the 1 ends up being the new 360
Old 06-22-2013, 03:48 AM   #22
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I see that there is one of these on the main site now on Peter Skerritt's last article.

I don't know if the right thing to do is refute it (every point is either wrong, or speculation) or ignore it (as it is likely it's a company contracted to do positive reviews for MS).

If it is MS, then that does beg the question - why are they doing positive PR for systems that they are not going to use? I don't think they can hold them back now, and then spring them on all the consumers who have already bought an Xbox at some future point - there would be uproar. So what's going on here? This has the feel of a co-ordinated campaign.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #23
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
I liked this guy's post on the Gizmodo article:
Is that some sort of "ironic" liking of the comment, or a sincere one? Because the impression I get from you is that you'd disagree with this guy completely, also.

I tried writing a long, drawn out argument against the comment you quoted above, but it was a waste of my time, and would have amounted to nothing more than an angry rant. I will say, however, I find it pretty funny he's calling other people childish, and yet has done more name calling than anyone I've seen who opposed MS's initial DRM ideas.

Currently playing: Prison Architect, Serious Sam HD
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #24
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Ah, it was an ironic like. I have a kind of begrudging admiration, for sure, but holy hell...sheer wrongheadedness.

Yeah, I almost replied to that comment too, but it is probably better to let it fade away into obscurity.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #25
JLB1987
Sex machine

Now you've cleared that up, it's immediately obvious. I was confused before I actually thought about it :P

The thing is, any group of people can be whiny and self-entitled- In fact, you don't have to look so long ago for a good, appropriate example of this (the Mass Effect 3 ending uproar). As it goes, I think the backlash for XB1 has been very civilised. It makes me proud to be a gamer, rather than a little embarrassed, like ME3 protest. I felt it was a great display of consumer rebellion, is basically what I'm saying.

Really looking forward to the next gen, despite the fact I won't be buying a PS4 until it hits the £200 mark. It will be interesting to see the buying habits of people, and whether than fanboyism will die down a little due to all of the machines next gen (including Wii U) being completely different.

Currently playing: Prison Architect, Serious Sam HD
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:23 AM   #26
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
They claimed the "power of the cloud" would be a game-changer (somehow, have been quite fuzzy about the specifics apart from Turn 10 with their oddly named 'Drive-atar'). So games are not changed anymore or do we have to connect to the internet now either way when playing on Xbone (:P) and the U turn is just a marketing ploy?
MS has been fuzzy about a lot of things and claimed weird things. Probably the main problem. Valve was not always loved for what they did. But i think it was never unclear what they offered. At least after they put the online authentication warning on their game boxes. And later they even sweetened their system with crazy sales.
I'd say MS could have done full-DRM also with success. They were accepting huge loses from the get go by out locking half of their old user base, accepting that old Sony fans certainly won't see much reason to switch sides, but if they went on stage and said you could share a game with 10 people and/or said retail price would be 50, digital even 45... and presented the but afterwards. Some users, or at least a lot more then before "180", would have considered it, and publishers would have been happy (although i'm not sure if family plan was ever part of the deal with EA and Ubi).
But since i guess even now not everyone knows what their plans are since they dropped the line about a possible change of their policies in the future, MS just continues in giving their potential customers a clouded view on their plans.

Infinite power of the cloud (tm)
Instead of using physical dedicated servers for specific games replacing this system with flexible 300.000 virtual ones is hardly a game changer. It's just cheaper and a lot easier to maintain for developers.
Driveatar certainly also works without going into a magic cloud, on "normal" servers.
I'm kind of surprised that servers don't work like this for a long time. Actually thought this is already the case and understood the news of MP server for this an that was shut down only as a the specific virtual system was shut down.
Since Bone-games have been designed so far in mind that everyone is at least once a day online, everyone might had to include some sort of online-gimmick, but the only thing that's changed now is that this gimmick is not needed anymore.
MP still needs Online, no change. Power of the Cloud still active. SP needs no gimmick anymore, no substantial change.
Game changers never really existed, so far, they just got rid of DRM and are now on par with Sony, who will also offer cloud services. Like they already announced. Sort of.

The same fuzziness with the family plan they now claim it would have meant full game for all 10 people.
I'd say the rumour about it being a demo much like the PS+ 60min full game trial, made complicated with the family plan nonsense, is more plausible than what they say now it was.
If it would have been an awesome feature they would have made it clear from the beginning, talking about it at the e3 show, not as a first reaction to consumer uproar afterwards.
Sane PR would talk about that first and then say in exchange you can't sell your game. Not the other way round.
Sony had to limit their game sharing to 2 consoles, because publishers were upset and now MS would be allowed 10 full licenses per sale? Really MS? Magic of the infinite power of cloud? huh?

Last edited by crackajack; 06-24-2013 at 02:32 AM.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:17 AM   #27
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I fully agree with what you wrote (mark that day in your calendars ladies and gentlemen )

As someone playing a lot on pc I'm still bewildered by seeing so much which has already been done on pc's as new and innovative. F2P, MMO shooters/rpg, seamless digital distribution, draconian drm measures are all things that have been loved, hated, enjoyed and endured for quite some time. But MS failed to learn from e.g. ubisofts always-on drm debacle (u-play - the always-on requirement of which they dropped), from their own failings with GfWL and from what Valve did right with steam. And no one seems to notice the existence of gog.com, which does quite well with drm free distribution, indie bundles which offer tremendous value due to 'pay what you want', or that greenmangaming.com already offers digital trade-ins and works like an online rental.

While Sony was concentrating on the positives and glossed over the fact that online play will cost a monthly fee with the PS4, MS was deliberately vague and left plenty of room for the worst possible interpretation. I am puzzled by how this company can mess up its communication so badly. At some point during E3 I felt a disturbance in the force, as if a million PR advisers cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. There are some quite smart people at MS, but from their E3 showing you wouldn't believe that. I'm also a bit disappointed with the u turn, since it shows to me that they didn't believe in their own vision for the future of console gaming. Why else would they not finally start talking sensibly about what xbox one brings to the table (apart from switching to live television, something my remote control can do)?

What do we have now? Two boxes with roughly similar specs based on regular pc's, roughly similar online and offline capabilities, roughly similar controllers (the new dualshock looks like it's growing towards xbox-size while the xbox controller seems to shrink with each iteration), roughly similar games libraries... the only thing separating them are the exclusive games and when it comes to exclusives both next gen consoles pale next to the PS3 in my opinion.

I'm watching and waiting, never been an early adopter with game consoles (I might also wait for 'slim' versions of the next-gen models) and nothing of this next generation is likely to change my mentality. Especially since the games I'm looking forward the most next year are coming out on pc and/or ps3 anyway.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:53 AM   #28
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

So... it's coming out then. According to Polygon it's 0,5 better than the PS4 because... I don't really understand why but I'm sure Polygon is not biased at all considering the same person who gives Killzone Shadowfall a 5 for being boring and more of the same gives Forza 5 a 9 for being less of the same for which you have to pay extra. Incidentally, Turn 10 and Microsoft seem to participate in a new type of math test to see if the education system is really as messed up as everyone says it is.

I am trying not to go on a tangent here but Forza 5 is for me now synonymous for everything I loathe about AAA gaming. It's a premium priced game, which adds payment mechanisms of "free to play" games as a top layer, obviously mistaking it for a game mechanic. I read with growing dread in the Eurogamer.net review that the unlocking mechanics that worked quite nicely in Forza 4 have been replaced with a monetary system, I assume in an attempt to squeeze out more money from micro-transactions (see above).

I also find it hilarious that one would offer to unlock a F1 car for about 70$ which is not part of the 50$ 'car pass' for DLC in upcoming months. Even with all those carpasscars it's a far cry from what upcoming 'current gen' GT6 has to offer with about 130 new cars and new tracks... oh yes: tracks have been reduced to... 14? Albeit Spa is included, the tracks that have been cut are e.g. Suzuka and the Nürburgring. I guess so that they can be added later as DLC for... 10$ each?

And I'm not even talking about the fact that Forza branded 360 wheels don't work with the XBONE anymore, which means buying a new wheel. Well, I'm sure there are still people with too much money in their pockets, but even though I'm by no means poor I don't have money to burn and the whole next gen proposition as intended by Microsoft is WAY too expensive for me. After all Forza 5 is the only XBONE game I was halfway interested at but for all the next gen promise there is not much to see yet. Also, all that TV stuff doesn't work in Europe, so a lot of functionality paid for that can perhaps only be utilized by the time the XBONE slim comes out. And do I hope this beast gets slimmer, as it is I would have to put it on my balcony since there's not that much space anywhere near my TV.

Sorry for the rant, but while I was getting back into console gaming with the PS3/360 era, this next gen is pushing me away again.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:26 AM   #29
Pedro
64-bit Poster

That is absolutely horrible about Forza's payment options. I had to go look up the publisher to see if it was EA, but no, it's Microsoft. Poor show.

While this is a valid way to make money, it leaves a bad taste, and I'm glad Eurogamer etc are calling them out on it. I'm hoping that the big outlets are seeing that their readers appreciate more realistic reviews (Madden was universally pulled up this year for the first time, and rightly so, and CoD met a muted response this year too)
Old 11-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #30
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Forza 5 was a system seller for me until I heard about the payment system and lack of content. Now I don't care about the Xbone again. Titanfall doesn't interest me at the moment either.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote