About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 05-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #556
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough
Re: What are you playing right now?

Renegade Ops... good stupid action game
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #557
QXZ
They hit me with a truck

Send a message via AIM to QXZ Send a message via Yahoo to QXZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
QXZ, if you're reading this, have you any tips for me? I'm playing the Arabian Nights table, but I feel that it is completely dependent on luck how well I do. I have no table control whatsoever. I get the idea between controlling the ball by trapping and keeping it away from the slingshots, but...aaaggggh! Is it just practice makes perfect? I'm flailing here...

Edit: the fact I'm playing the Arabian Nights table is irrelevant, I have these issues on all tables.
I actually learned FarSight's engine mechanics from the Pinball Hall of Fame collections. The best advice for ball control is this: Pressing upward on the left thumbstick will give the ball slight upward momentum. For horizontal control, gently tilt the left thumbstick in the opposite direction you want the ball to go. If the ball appears to be headed for the left outlane, tap the stick leftward, and the ball will roll slightly to the right.

And, as a matter of personal opinion, Tales of the Arabian Nights is another excellent table.

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
-- Adam Savage of
Mythbusters

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.co.../GreenPuyo.png

Last edited by QXZ; 05-24-2013 at 01:20 AM.
QXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #558
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

I have been under a dry spell in gaming the past few weeks. Just haven't played much of anything even though I want to.

Picked up MLB The Show 13 on sale last week. Played one game of that.

Tried the demos for Fuzzz... Oh, sorry Fuse and RE:Revelaitons HD tonight. I am bored of the standard shooter and I already have RE on the 3DS.

I want to get back into Tomb Raider when I can.

Last edited by abfackeln; 05-23-2013 at 07:34 AM.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #559
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Thanks QXZ, I hadn't figured out the application of that Tilt control, I'll give it a try.

Day 4 in Deadly Premonition was good again.

Finally got the Padres back to the World Series in 2020 again, went 3-1 up against Detroit. The Tigers pulled back to 3-3. Deciding game, bottom of the 9th, Padres lead 5-3. Blown save, 4 runs given up, Detroit win it all with a 7-5 win. Distraught!
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #560
JLB1987
Sex machine

Finally have proper internet, so decided to try out Xbox Live for a month to see if it's for me. So, I've been playing a lot of Black Ops, despite having heard tons of bad stuff about the community that plays the COD games. Mostly been playing free-for-all deathmatch, but Zombies is as exciting as it is in split-screen. Not much that can be said- dumb fun, but it's well made and I'm having a great time with it.

The aforementioned community seems fine to me- I guess, Black Ops being a couple of years old now means all the verbally abusive kids you hear about have moved on to the latest entries. But the very few people who have bothered talking over a mic have been fine, helpful even.

Also, I have recieved my GOTY edition of Red Dead Redemption. Really looking forward to getting stuck into Undead Nightmare, and playing through the main game for the third time, but on hardcore mode.

Last edited by JLB1987; 05-23-2013 at 09:49 PM.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #561
JLB1987
Sex machine

It's official- Red Dead Revolver is, by a large margin, my favourite game this gen. Started playing Undead Nightmare, and so far, so good. Gameplay is slightly less satisfying- the zombie infested gameworld is at first genuinely eerie, but the undead quickly become fodder for the player, something that never really happened in the main game. Not as good as the core game, but still fun.

The multiplayer aspect is amazing, assuming you have friends to communicate with thilst you play it. The formal matches themselves are good fun, but definitely not the high point here. Just roaming around, seeing whats going on, and getting into turf wars with rival posses is great. I'd definitely recommend playing on hardcore, too- you can only see other players on the map when they are sprinting/ on horseback, so things can get pretty tense. Amazing multiplayer.

Currently playing: Prison Architect, Serious Sam HD
Old 05-30-2013, 03:51 AM   #562
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Dark Souls - finished NG++++, continue with NG5+
Old 05-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #563
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
Renegade Ops... good stupid action game
it's like the Just Cause 2 of twin stick overhead rally race/shooters. Really like it.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #564
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Dark Souls - finished NG++++, continue with NG5+
You are a dangerous lunatic.

My brother has started Demon's Souls again (he didn't get it finished before Dark came out) and I'm very tempted to join him in another playthrough.

Abfackeln - you should persevere with The Show - it's easy to turn away after a game or two (I did this with a brand-new Fifa this year) and never come back, but the game rewards you big time if you keep playing.

Not playing anything right now - a little OOTP last week where I won the WS with the Padres again in 2022 (two WS in ten years, sweet!).
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #565
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

The lunacy is that I currently run around with the Chaos Blade. For people not knowing Dark Souls: a Katana that drains the player character's life with every hit. I killed myself twice already, because I was low on life and forgot about that. Since Chaos weapon's damage scales with humanity, I'm currently running around with a humanity count of 20+

Of course I lost all my humanity on various occasions.

Just finished off Bed of Chaos, Nito, Seath and Artorias. Now heading for Manus, then Sif and the Four Kings. I do it in this order since I like the new cutscene after saving Sif, even though it makes the fight heart-breaking.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:53 AM   #566
QXZ
They hit me with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
Finally have proper internet, so decided to try out Xbox Live for a month to see if it's for me. So, I've been playing a lot of Black Ops, despite having heard tons of bad stuff about the community that plays the COD games. Mostly been playing free-for-all deathmatch, but Zombies is as exciting as it is in split-screen. Not much that can be said- dumb fun, but it's well made and I'm having a great time with it.
Yeah... about that...

I've only recently familiarized myself Call of Duty since July, 2012, when I finally had some spare bucks and purchased a PS3. I'm only familiar with both Black Ops games and Modern Warfare 3, but I can openly tell you that the praise behind their multiplayer modes is indefensible bunk.

I'll admit that they're the first FPSs that I've ever played online, and the online play isn't what I was hoping for. It's sloppy and frustrating -- especially when I fire of half a magazine of machine gun ammo on someone who is right in front of me, only to immediately die and see that I fell before even squeezing the trigger.

Of the three, Black Ops is the worst of them. I could list maybe 100 design mistakes made, but I'll limit it to the three that I find most appalling. The attack dog and attack helicopter killstreak rewards are so overpowered, they're practically broken. The respawn point placements are equally questionable, since it's too common to spawn in front of an enemy dog, an enemy helicopter, or right in front of an enemy soldier. Above all else, though, Nuketown may very well be the single worst multiplayer map in the history of video gaming -- regardless of genre.

However, if you really want to see Black Ops' pinnacle of brokenness, here's what you need to see:

I've far too often found myself on the wrong end of situations like these, and I have no problems quitting out of such matches. I don't rage quit because I'm on a team that's losing. I only rage quit because it's my way of saying, "Treyarch, just because you made some truly SHITHEAD design choices doesn't mean I have to suffer through them." (And I very rarely resort to profanity on these boards.)

And Black Ops' Zombies mode? I'd rather call it ZZZombieZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz.

-- Adam Savage of
Mythbusters

Old 06-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #567
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Taking another stab at Mechwarrior Online, after playing a bit during alpha. Now that's officially in beta it's much more fun to play and seems to get somewhere in terms of balance. They got rid or repair cost completely, which is a good thing since I couldn't see myself play 10 games in trial-mechs just to get the repair cost necessary for my own mech. At the moment it's limited to 8 vs 8, I'm hoping for bit bigger as well as smaller maps in future.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #568
JLB1987
Sex machine

QXZ- Fair points. Being a very poor COD player myself (and not coming up against anyone who has exploited the system as shown in the video), I wouldn't really be able to comment on how unbalanced the gameplay is. I think it's pretty ridiculous rewarding players who are doing well anyway with the killstreak perks, however, and that video is quite an eye-opener. How does the second one compare for balancing issues? Most people I know on tend to play on that, but I'm not going to bow to peer pressure if that is also a broken multi-player experience.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #569
QXZ
They hit me with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
QXZ- Fair points. Being a very poor COD player myself (and not coming up against anyone who has exploited the system as shown in the video), I wouldn't really be able to comment on how unbalanced the gameplay is. I think it's pretty ridiculous rewarding players who are doing well anyway with the killstreak perks, however, and that video is quite an eye-opener. How does the second one compare for balancing issues? Most people I know on tend to play on that, but I'm not going to bow to peer pressure if that is also a broken multi-player experience.
The multiplayer Black Ops 2 is quite a bit better in some ways. The "killstreak" awards are now given based on points. In a game mode like Kill Confirmed -- where winning requires collecting fallen enemies' dog tags -- you score points for a kill, but more points for collecting tags. One thing I'm happy to see is that the attack helicopters are only likely to score about 5-10 kills a minute, as opposed to 50+ in the first. And the respawn system is somewhat competent, though there are still occasions where it's possible to pop back to life far too close to an enemy player.

Unfortunately, I still think there are some serious problems with it. CoD's melee combat -- a one-hit kill knife swipe, regardless where it hits -- is still an abomination. BO2 still suffers from the same "what you see isn't what you get" gunplay mentioned earlier. And the attack dogs are still overpowered, though the jury's still out on whether or not they're completely broken.

Just to let you know, I've put about 100 hours into the online multiplayer (simply because I'm that kind of a masochist, and if I wanted to write a review of this game, it's better to know everything possible). I haven't touched the campaign or zombie modes yet.

-- Adam Savage of
Mythbusters

Last edited by QXZ; 06-07-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #570
JLB1987
Sex machine

Thanks for the feedback. It's a pain being so hesistant to buy it- I desperately want to find a good multiplayer game with a large community, not to mention be able to play games my friends are likely to have. But to be honest, I'm pretty bored of BlOps already, and I'm not sure I want to pay 25 for a game that is only slightly improved.