About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Industry News

Notices

Old 05-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
Dale Weir
Site God

So where do you get your gaming news...?

It used to be that we got our gaming news from traditional sites like GameSpot.com and IGN.com. Slashdot and Digg were great non-traditional sources. But that was a long time ago.

What are you guys using to get your gaming news fix? Or is there even one place you can count on to get that news? What about Twitter and Facebook? N4G? Reddit?

Where do you go for gaming news today?
Dale Weir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough
Re: So where do you get your gaming news...?

aside from the Twitter feed, here?

------------------------------------------------>

-Steam's newsfeed

I like the Escapist. Mostly because I like Bob Chipman's film reviews and 'the big picture' segments and I LOVE Jim Sterling's rants about the business.

I like LRR's 'Checkpoint' series, very funny.
Extra Credits is required viewing for everyone, imo
I like the Classicgameroom video series, and GOG.com
I like the 'All your history are belong to us' series on Machinima

In general tho I feel there's just too much gaming news and gaming discussion and opinion and just endless youtube videos of corporate and non-corporate 30-40 something white guy hipsters and maybe a girl, sitting at tables, drinking coffee or microbrews and talking in buzzwords about the minutiae of gameplay. It's not news, it's like overhearing people at work talking about something...

for ex: recently I tried (tried!) subscribing to whatever channel Adam Sessler was on because he's said a few things I agree with. But then, what happens- my youtube feed was choked with videos from his site, and mostly it's just boring tedious shit, like a 24-7 cable news network. It's overkill.

Even Machinima, which has some great content, isn't worth subscribing to, imo, because they just bury your news feed with junk, they'll post like 100 videos a day... it's spamming that serves corporate more than the gamer... so I don't bother...

Game news, imo, isn't a bad thing, there's just too much of it, and for me, it's only interesting, and only really approaching journalism- when it's used to address the rights of consumers to get better product.

Last edited by RandomRob; 05-18-2013 at 07:31 PM.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #3
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I don't really bother with gaming news so much. I visit three sites on a daily basis - Gamecritics, Rock Paper Shotgun, and Operation Sports.

As with Rob, if I see something in the Twitter sidebar (usually Sparky saying, "they've fucked this right up"), I'll investigate.

For RPS, though I don't bother opening most of their articles, they are good for seeing what has just been released, and have a good eye on the indie scene.

Operation Sports I just go in very briefly to check if there is anything worth seeing (usually there isn't what with a lot of updates in the sports genre being rosters-related, or announcements of new basketball shoes in-game); I spend more time in OS around the time of new releases.

Other than that, I do a quick trawl through sites like Eurogamer, the Escapist etc every so often, but this is looking for features rather than news. If I was looking for a release date for a specific game, Eurogamer.

But not that interested in news, really.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Even though I no longer have a subscription to the service, lately I've been using the Shack News feed through the GameFly app. For me, considerably better than the way too long "news" articles on certain major game sites.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Eurogamer, Gamersglobal (german) are where I go for teh news. Twitter I check quite rarely and not for games news.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:38 AM   #6
QXZ
They hit me with a truck

Send a message via AIM to QXZ Send a message via Yahoo to QXZ

My main gaming news feed comes from Joystiq.

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
-- Adam Savage of
Mythbusters

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.co.../GreenPuyo.png
QXZ is offline   Reply With Quote