About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Industry News

Notices

Old 02-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #16
ZippyDSMlee
16-bit Poster

Re: So, the PS4 then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
snip
Steam box is a rental so I will pass. :P

Anyway I build my computers, its rather easy once you understand 4 things, you need a true 800 watt PSU to run a gaming rig, double check Ram with the mobo they have lists. CPUs will work on mobos that support them, Mobos fit in cases that support them.

*tinkering around with geck, made a bb blunderbuss called BBelzabub, mesh to come later, lulz*

Automatic BB gun to come next, then the next one shall be a sonic pistol and lastly a needle gun made with bloat fly darts......then I am going to try and make them 3 or 4 times as long and then cut and past a pistol to death to make a needle gun.
ZippyDSMlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #17
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I have no clue

I think you built one last year, correct? I looked into it before Xmas this year, and after studying everything carefully, the sense that I could make an expensive mistake overruled everything else
I upgraded my old PC with an Nvidia GTX 550 ti card and a AMD 6000 X2 processor.. ran Dead Space 2 beautifully, that was a 250$ upgrade...

then tried a new mobo in a new case and fucked it up. Oops

that was a 250$ mistake.
But then-
Buying a Atari jaguar was a 300$ mistake
Buying a 3DS was a 300$ mistake
Buying a PS3 and putting a 250 GB HDD in it was a 500$ mistake..

apples and oranges, man.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #18
ZippyDSMlee
16-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
I upgraded my old PC with an Nvidia GTX 550 ti card and a AMD 6000 X2 processor.. ran Dead Space 2 beautifully, that was a 250$ upgrade...

then tried a new mobo in a new case and fucked it up. Oops

that was a 250$ mistake.
But then-
Buying a Atari jaguar was a 300$ mistake
Buying a 3DS was a 300$ mistake
Buying a PS3 and putting a 250 GB HDD in it was a 500$ mistake..

apples and oranges, man.
Ramm issues have gotten me twice 0-o
Old 02-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #19
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

new case Im getting has a 1TB HDD and 16GB sdram. Not worried
Old 02-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #20
ZippyDSMlee
16-bit Poster

Quote:
new case Im getting has a 1TB HDD and 16GB sdram. Not worried
SDRAM is so 2000...its DDR3 these days. :P (and boy do you have to watch timing/compatibility issues.)
Old 02-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #21
RandomRob

no, its ddr3, whatevers newest
Old 02-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #22
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Brad Gallaway says the 3DS is the best console of the current generation (it was in the Twitter sidebar earlier).
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #23
ZippyDSMlee
16-bit Poster

Quote:
no, its ddr3, whatevers newest
*nawing on someone elses toe nails captive Jack Sparrow style* And people call me silly........

I just had a thought about the PS4, if they do not want to support used games nor deal with physical media then sell the hardware unit for 100$ with 1 controller and no hook ups. Controllers are 50 a pop. That works better than anything else as far as I can figure.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #24
ZippyDSMlee
16-bit Poster

Quote:
Brad Gallaway says the 3DS is the best console of the current generation (it was in the Twitter sidebar earlier).
A shame the controls suck and it ups, the WII is a tiny bit better. And love my 360 for lulzly fun C games.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #25
gamevet

Quote:
I don't understand this argument. It's like not wanting to wash the dishes because it's going to 'take too long'.

Funny thing is, most online retailers in the US anyway, have been doing away with 'build your own' PC options. So your choices are actually very limited now as to what kindof gaming PC you can get. And the fundamental rule of thumb is that you always get shorted on the CPU and the GPU. Anything under 1200$ or therabouts and you're getting low end chips and graphics cards. Alienware specializes in gaming PCs and are notorious for using low end parts. The companies that specialize in gaming PCs charge you an arm and a leg for a system you could cobble together for half the price, with little computer know-how.

All you need to do is find a PC with a big case, big memory and power supply- those things are dirt cheap.. and then look at your options for upscaling on the processor and graphics. It's not the 1980s anymore.. this stuff is easy to do.
It easier than ever to build your own PC. I did my first build in 2010, with an Intel C2Q (Q9650) with 8 gigs of PC2-8500 RAM, a single GTX 460 (later added a second card in sli) an XFX Nforce 750i motherboard and a 750 watt power supply. I installed 2 Seagate Barracuda 500 gig HDDs with each having their own operating system, so I could run Windows 7 and XP for older games.

In late August, I gutted the old case, reused the power supply, GPUs and fans for a new build. I picked up an i5-2500k for $159, an open box Asus P8Z68-V motherboard for $40 and 8 gigs of DDR3-1600 for another $40.OCZ Agility 3 SSD (100 gig) for $90. Add another $100 for an OEM Windows 7Premium and my upgrade was less than $450.

You can put together this build today, for less than $900 and it will perform much better than what I'm seeing with the PS4 and possibly the Nextbox.

i7-3770k for $219

WD 500GB HDD for $63

Asus P8Z77-V LK motherboard for $110

Corsair TX Seried 650 Watt PS for $80

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600 memory for $42

Thermaltake V3 Black Edition ATX Mid Tower Case for $24

Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 2048MB for $240

Windows 7 Premium OEM for $70

If you wanted to build a system (performance wise) that is very close to what the PS4 appears to be, it would probably cost you about the same as buying the console.

Last edited by gamevet; 03-02-2013 at 12:39 AM.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #26
Pedro
64-bit Poster

It appears that Sony haven't come out on the used games question yet.

I'd love to see some actual studies or data on the who the consumers are for these things - what the demographics are for console owners, how many play just CoD and Assassin's Creed and sports games, how many are 'hardcore' gamers (as long as that is defined), how many buy used games, how many PC gamers there are, what they play, etc etc.

I assume a ban on used games would be suicide; but on the other hand, Online Passes and such seem to have been mega-successful, indicating that people will pay to be locked in, so maybe the more 'casual' audience is big enough that console makers can just direct all their sales at them and not worry about a relatively tiny bit of fallout as the hardcore people move across to PC? They must have the data....

I've long suspected that selling less games at 15% extra on PSN is more profitable for Sony than selling whatever number they would sell at a normal price. It's the only thing that makes sense.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #27
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
It appears that Sony haven't come out on the used games question yet.
Yes they did. They said they would "do the right thing" concerning used games. I thought that was perfectly clear
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #28
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
for less than $900 and it will perform much better than what I'm seeing with the PS4
[...]
Corsair TX Seried 650 Watt
Next shocking revelation: Expensive sports cars perform better than (probably more) affordable family cars.

Quote:
If you wanted to build a system (performance wise) that is very close to what the PS4 appears to be, it would probably cost you about the same as buying the console.
The PS4 will outperform the average PC for years to come while the average PC probably won't cost less.

It will be easy to come up with a PC that's close to its performance, but the same performance in all important matters (incl. power consumption) for an unsubsidized DIY-PC? Hardly possible.

Subjectively equaling the graphics? Easy.
Even the difference to the PS3 seems not that huge. Except hopefully 1080p always.
Theoretical numbers of the AMD APU are a lot better what Cell and the bottleneck nvidia GPU could do.
+ unheart of 8GB GDDR5 in a unified memory pool setup
I wonder what they will squeeze out of that.
Still Last of Us or Beyond looked awesome, while pretty much all PS4 demos failed to really impress me so far.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #29
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I just noticed the rating of this thread is 2 stars. Our discussion seems to be pretty bad
Old 03-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #30
ZippyDSMlee
16-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
Next shocking revelation: Expensive sports cars perform better than (probably more) affordable family cars.

The PS4 will outperform the average PC for years to come while the average PC probably won't cost less.

It will be easy to come up with a PC that's close to its performance, but the same performance in all important matters (incl. power consumption) for an unsubsidized DIY-PC? Hardly possible.

Subjectively equaling the graphics? Easy.
Even the difference to the PS3 seems not that huge. Except hopefully 1080p always.
Theoretical numbers of the AMD APU are a lot better what Cell and the bottleneck nvidia GPU could do.
+ unheart of 8GB GDDR5 in a unified memory pool setup
I wonder what they will squeeze out of that.
Still Last of Us or Beyond looked awesome, while pretty much all PS4 demos failed to really impress me so far.
Meh I have a 400$ PC(Phenom X4 AM3 socket, 8GB 2000MHZ DDR3) with an old 8800 superclock in it and it can easily match what the PS4 can do for the most part, Tho I do need to get a new video card.

I have a ton more options in trems of modding games and using trainers to rebalance bad and wonky games with so meh. Console are overrated, closed and going the way of the dinosaur....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
I just noticed the rating of this thread is 2 stars. Our discussion seems to be pretty bad
I just gave her a bump. ^_~