About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 02-22-2013, 04:03 AM   #451
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: What are you playing right now?

Didn't have all that much time for Dota2, am still as noob as noob can be. Trying out some heroes to figure out what playstyle would suit me best. In between I tried to motivate myself to continue Uncharted 3, but somehow after playing Spec Ops: the Line I feel really weird when seeing that charming mass murderer on screen. But now for something completely different: a week of snowboarding (in actual snow, not SSX).
Old 02-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #452
JLB1987
Sex machine

Well, my boxer was forced into retirement on UFC. Quite sad- there's no narrative in the game, but my guy went through a lot- we came ridiculously close to winning the middleweight belt, but we did win our second Pride tournament. The final match, then, I decided would be a Pride fight- that is, in a ring rather than a cage. I'm not sure if it was in my head, but my fighter seemed to be getting worn out more easily in his older age, so I put all my training into cardio- and we won our final fight. What a way to go.

Really enjoyable game, and I'll be starting with a new contender soon. As well as getting the game mechanics and presentation spot on, the developers also created a really immersive experience, and I'll remember my first career fighter, who fell just short of greatness, for a while.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #453
Pedro
128-bit Poster

System Shock 2 is good; very tense.

I've just completed the first level (Med/Sci) and it is very similar to Bioshock, as you'd expect. Someone on the radio ordering you around, various technical malfunctions resulting in you having to fix airlocks and bulkheads etc so that you can progress. Very little ammo and resources and an RPG type of levelling - Engineer, Soldier or Psi being the three classes.

The psychic monkeys are right little bastards.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #454
JLB1987
Sex machine

Are you playing SS2 with mods? As much as I'd love to be a staunch advocate of gameplay over graphics, I can no longer play stuff like Deus Ex due to how dated they look. i'd love give SS2 a try though.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #455
Pedro
128-bit Poster

No, I have no mods installed - though there are some available for graphics and textures.

It's surprisingly playable despite that - the only big let down is the enemies, who look like they are made of balled-up newspaper.

Someone was saying that they found it difficult to deal with that though, as they were expecting more 'body horror' - I'm playing along while keeping an eye on The Vintage Game Club who are doing a playthrough. It has been useful to follow that and see that I'm not going to find out on Level 4 or whatever that I have completely fucked up my character build. However, it does feel a bit odd to be playing through with people who are applying a critical approach to the game while playing.

All that said, I am enjoying it (and I bailed on Deus Ex, to my shame) and it is a decent game.

Btw did you get to choose custom tattoos etc for your character in UFC? Pics?

Edit: An SS2 enemy:

Last edited by Pedro; 02-24-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #456
Pedro
128-bit Poster

JLB: If I'm honest, it's a little bit of a chore for me to play - I'm finding excuses not to go back.

However, as I say I'm only on Level 1. I'll persevere and report back here if it gets better.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #457
Pedro
128-bit Poster

I am a sick man, I've started playing OOTP 13 again.

Starting my second year in charge of the Toronto Fire, a small market team who had the worst record in baseball two years ago before I took over. I've made some shrewd moves in the offseason, but I'm alarmed to find the preseason predictions showing me running away with the division:

I signed two big pitchers this year (Koski and Sites), but according to this, my back-of-rotation guys (Turnbull, Jones) will come good too....delighted to see that as I thought I detected some hidden talent last year. 15 and 7/8 is hopelessly optimistic though. We'll see.

The fans remain complete idiots though:

Flores's stats:

Yes, that's a 9.64 ERA in the Majors last year (2001)...

I know nobody is interested but I can't help it
Old 02-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #458
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Well that was a disaster:

Bullpen was a complete disaster (they all had ERAs around 6 before a second-half rally) and batters underproduced.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #459
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Three World Series' in a row for the Toronto Fire!

I am addicted to this game all over again.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #460
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Can't play DOTA since a shoulder injury prevents me from using mouse & keyboard all that effective. However: gamepads work hence I started Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and so far it's awesome. Well, I still need work to be awesome, so far I'm mostly C-rated, rarely D and even rarer B.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #461
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Hey! I was going for the 'most consecutive posts' record there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Can't play DOTA since a shoulder injury prevents me from using mouse & keyboard all that effective.
Ouch.

The things I like most about MOBAs are all the comments in articles about them, which invariably point out what a wretched hive of scum and villainy the scene is. I really enjoy reading that for some reason. I will actually never play them myself.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #462
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Hey! I was going for the 'most consecutive posts' record there!
Denied!
(to keep the moba-theme)

Continued with Revengeance and so far I love and hate it in equal measures.

Love: free cutting! I want this to be a minimum requirement for any next-gen game with swords or other cutting tools. I spent way too much time cutting cars, trees, boxes and the odd bridge into as many pieces as possible. Chaining light and heavy attacks to various combos, jumping over and sliding under enemies and being able to switch to blade mode any second to chop everything into tiny pieces is extremely satisfying. Great game design.

Hate: the trial-and-error-sections involving QTE and/or running from/towards/on top of/below crumbling/breaking/exploding buildings with no indication what part of the path gets one killed. I died more often at one specific bridge-running-sequence than in any other part of the game so far. I still don't know what I did "right" the time I finally managed. Awful game design.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #463
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

XCOM, baby
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #464
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (DS) - So far, so good. A different type of game that's good in casual spurts.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:24 PM   #465
gamevet

Crysis 3 (PC): This game really does put a beatdown on my hardware. My 1 Gig GTX 460s in sli have finally met their match. I have to run this game on medium settings to keep the frame-rate above 40 fps. Even my i5-2500k @ 4.63 Ghz is being pushed into the 80% usage. It looks like I'll finally need to get GTX 670.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote