About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #2026
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

he picks on some games, but he does like his shooters. Although he says he's most partial to sci-fi shooters, and that Red Faction and Wolfenstein and some of his alltime faves-
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #2027
JLB1987
Sex machine

Hitman Absolution finished. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. A huge relief, similar to the euphoria at the end of an hours vomiting.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:15 AM   #2028
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I reckon you can understand now why I put it all the way up in my list of disappointments of the year?
Old 12-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #2029
JLB1987
Sex machine

Ergh, I'll tell you what- I didn't read the Gamecritics review until after I bought the game- your summary of it was the only one that I read that was spot on, before I took the plunge and bought it. I should listen to you more often, o wise one!

That said, there are so many great moments that happen when you're not really playing the game itself- I don't regret buying it. I just regret having to *play* it, ha ha. Looking forward to writing something about it on here and seeing what you guys think.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #2030
Kin Korn Karn

Far Cry 3

Mostly good fun. Lame boss battles and a tacked-on last 30 minutes of endgame material spoiled it a bit. Lots of potential if they build from this on the next installment. No replay value, so it was one of the few times I sold a game immediately after completing (don't care for the multiplayer).
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #2031
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Far Cry 3 was strange. I wonder if it was all a big joke - Vaas is always chuntering on about the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over....and there you are doing eighteen million identical missions, over and over...
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #2032
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Finished Miasmata on PC.

What a game, what a game.

You play as a plague-stricken protagonist washed up on a tropical island (not pictured). The island is an outpost researching a cure for the plague, but it is being stalked by a terrible beast. You have to survive, find a cure and escape with it.

You're as weak as a baby at the start of the game, and any major exertion such as swimming will result in an onslaught of fever. You need to map the island, research the cure, and synthesise it from the local fauna. Over time, you get stronger as you discover recipies for various drugs, but the beast also takes a keener interest in you as time goes on.

I can't recommend it straight up as it is so different, but if you see it in a sale give it a whirl. It's an incredible game for atmosphere and the sheer horror of being completely lost, feverish and no idea where there's a safe haven can't be overstated. It would have been in my Top 5 last year if I'd played it, no doubt.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #2033
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Far Cry 3 was strange. I wonder if it was all a big joke - Vaas is always chuntering on about the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over....and there you are doing eighteen million identical missions, over and over...
Yes indeed. So, we, the players, are insane. This game knows me too well!

Beat Dishonored, with the "bad" ending (I offed every single baddie I could). I will attempt a no kill, no detect playthrough. Well, after I'm done with XCOM.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #2034
Pedro
128-bit Poster

After frogofdeath reminded me that I hadn't finished it, I finished off Dead Island.

I've been in a bit of a funk with the other two games I'm playing - Mark of the Ninja and Okami HD, and this was the perfect antidote. Say what you like about the game, it's a lot of fun.

I'd started it months ago as me & my brother's regular co-op game, and it fell by the wayside when Borderlands 2 came along. It was good to get back to it in single player and while it was stretched out a little too long (Act IV in particular), it was fun to play and finish.

As for the GameCritics game of the year that time? Well, let's face it, Dark Souls was 10x the game, and as frogofdeath says, this was mindless fun, but it's a very good game, no doubt.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #2035
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Quote:
After frogofdeath reminded me that I hadn't finished it, I finished off Dead Island.
And now, I too have finished. Plowed through the last 15% of the main story. Still enjoyed the game overall. The drop-in, drop-out multiplayer was good fun, just wish I would have done more (my Gold subscription ended two days ago!).

Stayed up way too late for having to teach today. But my 6 month free subscription to Blockbuster Total Access ends soon and I needed to get this game in the mail to avoid any charges.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #2036
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Nice, did you find it dragged a bit at the end? The later part of the jungle turned into a lot of fetch quests, and the prison - ugh.

I guess the whole game was fetch quests - that they were able to remain disguised until the later game says good things, I suppose.

Also, did all 4 characters show up in the cutscenes every time even though you were playing solo? That was hilarious - one of them even shot a plot-related NPC at one point!

But yeah, the multiplayer was implemented really well.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #2037
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Quote:
Nice, did you find it dragged a bit at the end? The later part of the jungle turned into a lot of fetch quests, and the prison - ugh.

I guess the whole game was fetch quests - that they were able to remain disguised until the later game says good things, I suppose.

Also, did all 4 characters show up in the cutscenes every time even though you were playing solo? That was hilarious - one of them even shot a plot-related NPC at one point!
Dragged a little at the end, especially the jungle. The prison wasn't too bad, but I thought it was moronic that you could not go back to the main island. I didn't have time to go back for other missions, but it still seemed like a bad game design.

And yes, all four players showed up even when I was playing solo. I had been playing for about a month, so I'm not positive, but I think it only occurred later on in the game. I want to say all four only showed up after playing with others online.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #2038
ZippyDSMlee
16-bit Poster

I'm still trying to double level limit and do an all in one skill character....if I could only fig out the damn menu code.....
ZippyDSMlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #2039
JLB1987
Sex machine

Spec Ops: The Line

Out of the very limited selection of games from 2012 I've played, this is easily the best.

Pretty bog standard third-person shooter, gameplay-wise. However, as someone who rarely plays these sorts of games, this didn't bother me. What it does, it does very well for the mostpart. The weapons have a nice, weighty feeling, making them satisfying to use whilst not being too easy, and this is one of very few games I've ever played that grenades are as handy as they should be. The cover mechanics work well, mostly- however, I did get irritated that you can't just slip around a corner if you're in cover- you've got to detach yourself, putting yourself at risk, walk around the corner in question, and go into cover again. Such a stupid oversight.

I'll hide some of this paragraph, to avoid spoiling the game for others- The story is incredible, one of the greatest I've had the pleasure of being told via the medium of a videogame. I vaguely remember someone starting a thread on these forums regarding videogame that make you cry. Whilst it didn't go quite that far, I was deeply moved buy the events in the last third of the game. Where the game really started to become sad was the part where Walker orders a white phospherus attack on the 33rd. It didn't bother me at all (as far as I was concerned, they were bastards up until this point), but then you realise they had a lot of civilians in the camp, who they were helping. Another part that really hit me was entirely optional- the bit where Lugo is hung by some of the locals. I opted to open fire on them, and watching the silouettes of defenseless people running away in their masses whilst I sprayed them with heavy machine gun fire was genuinely upsetting. Guess I only have myself to blame for that one.

The ending is something special, too. I opted for the suicide ending, and I just sat there for a few minutes reflecting back on the game. I was tempted to reload the save and go for one of the other endings, but I'm going to save that for another day. In conclusion, I am overjoyed that there is a game which can handle such subject matter with this amount of care- I'm glad that, finally, there is a military themed game where the protagonists (for want of a better word) don't come out mentally and physically unscathed. For the story, I can not recommend this game highly enough.

Last thing I want to mention is how difficult the game is- I played on hard mode, and wasn't expecting it to be quite so difficult. I'm going to attempt the FUBAR difficulty some day soon. But before that, I'm going to give Rainbow Six: Vegas another bash. Spec Ops has whetted my appetite for a game with proper squad commands- something Spec Ops itself falls slightly short on.

EDIT: Regarding the interpretations of the game's story (especially Li-Ion's on the "What are you playing now" thread, which I read with great interest), the way I've interpretated it is that Walker didn't die after the helicopter crash at the start of the game; whilst this is an interesting theory, for me this would negate a lot of the impact the suicide ending I chose had. However, having a three man delta team take on the Damned 33rd (the most highly decorated squad ever, in this game's universe), would take a lot of suspension of disbelief- I've chosen to see the events up until the heli crash as a flashback by a near-death Cpt. Walker, which have been exagerated in his mind. Maybe, in reality, he and his team took on tens, rather than hundreds, of troops from the 33rd.

I'm aware that even one of the creators of the game has basically said what Li-Ion said, but he also says it's completely open to interpreation, and the way I've just described is the most satisfying for myself. I like to think that it's all real, with only Walker's hallucinations and possible flashbacks being removed from reality.

Last edited by JLB1987; 02-06-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #2040
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Good writeup! I have forgotten most of the game at this point or I would engage with the discussion - but I think having your squadmates along with you the whole game, and following orders etc, undermines some of the theses put forward. It didn't really ring true to me and I disliked the ending!

It's great that the game is getting a lot of love around here though. No matter what the developers' intention, they really succeeded in pulling it off and getting people talking.