About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 12-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #46
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Re: Game of the Year - preliminary discussion

So it looks like the verdict is in - XCOM is the overwhelming choice of the Forum. That's pretty cool - it was the only game to garner votes from more than two people, and it's a great GOTY

Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #47
Kin Korn Karn

Ugh, typed out a nice post but it got deleted thanks to an overly grabby 2 year old sitting in my lap.

Abridged version:

1. Borderlands 2
2. Skyrim
3. Minecraft
4. Dragon's Dogma
5. Mass Effect 3

Can I update this after I have a chance to play Dishonored and Xcom? Just started the former with plans to hit Xcom right after.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:28 AM   #48
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

kinda disappointed XCom didn't get much love on the podcast, and agreed w/Daniel Weissenberger's commentary that Telltale does one kindof game and Jurassic Park should've been the hit that the Walking Dead has been.

I wonder if, never having seen the series, I would feel the same way everyone else does about the Walking Dead?
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #49
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Since xmas offered some time to play, some corrections and extensions to my last post:

Blistering Thumbs Comeback Award:
Mortal Kombat (Vita)
The first beat em up i played since the original MK, SFII and KI on the SNES. I never was good in that genre and it hardly evolved but it must have done something right and differently since no other game of that genre was able to hook me so long before.

Most angry words shouted at TV due to difficulty:
Mortal Kombat
-Vita Features
shake or balancing the device while playing.... or constantly wiping blood off the screen or tapping the enemy to stun him... Goro and Sheeva might have four hands. However in the real world the average player has two.
(annoying only in challenge mode... the "normal" modes are not bothered with too much Vitaness)
-random / luck based difficulty
Visible since i sometimes win before impossible appearing challenges with a lot of health remaining while not really changing my play style. I just spam randomly the moves i know and hope to win. Always. Story Mode and Arcade Mode, ok, let everyone win the core of the game but honestly that play style should never succeed in harder challenges. At least not in that manner.
- beginner level is imo way beyond what beginner is supposed to be.
/rant/Since Demons Souls i am sure many experienced gamers and critics have no clue what difficulty levels are for.
Let the damn individual choose the level of challenge, don't force a stiff vision on the player. Going further, i wonder when devs will include difficulty levels for disabled gamers. MK with heavy use of QTE or STE (s for slow...) would be possible for example./rant/
Runner Up: Double Dragon Neon

Best Soundtrack: Double Dragon Neon (<-- listen to it and or buy it <--)
Possibly the main reason (aside the overall sense of style) why i played the game since i'm not really much of a fan of that genre and would have quited soon after realizing that it is not much different than games i already did not like much in the 80s.
Runner Up: Alan Wake
the fading out of each chapter with some great songs was probably the only thing done perfectly right by the game

Due to aforementioned personal winner i have to change
Best individual moment: Double Dragon Neons ending
youtube link
The non interactive parts were just better than game content this year.

I'll rename my Go fuck yourself Award for blatantly stupid trophies into a more handy i have no live award:
Mortal Kombat
It's asking the player to execute some fatalities, to win 100 times, probably already boring but doable so far, and finally spent 24 hours with each (!) of the 32 playable characters.
Played as a 9 to 5 job it will take a mere 3 months to finish. So even a dedicated gamer just needs an entire year of a daily 2 hour dosage of MK.
Congrats. So much bang for the buck....
I have to wonder how many gamers accomplish that in a legit fashion, really play that long and on the other side how many hours Playstations all over the world will run in "auto-mode" without players in front of them just to accumulate play time and wasting energy because some developers are not creative enough to create interesting challenges. Especially weird and unnecessary since the game actually has already a ton of challenges. To get My Kung Fu is strong it would have been much more appropriate to ask to perform every move the character can do. Including those 10+hit-combos i have no idea how they can be done by human beings. Prove to be master of the move set and not master of wasting time...

Correction on DLC part:
I bought Road of Devastation for Dead Nation
neither worthy best or worst DLC, just a mediocre extension for little (still a bit too much) money

Worst PS+ Cloud Save implementation:
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Allows only one download a day. For what reason limit that?
Nevertheless done it, started the game and it wants to create a new save file. What? Begin new for no reason. Ok, do it if you must. I'll overwrite it immediately afterwards with the correct savefile. Oh, wait...
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #50
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Korn Karn View Post
Can I update this after I have a chance to play Dishonored and Xcom? Just started the former with plans to hit Xcom right after.
We should keep updating this during the year as we all finish 2012's games - get a true game of the year, away from all the hype

Although I think XCOM would still win....it's a pity none of those voters on the podcast join us down here. I liked the Borderlands comment - was that you, Rob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
I wonder if, never having seen the series, I would feel the same way everyone else does about the Walking Dead?
I've never seen it and I thought the game was poor. Interesting to see Richard saying Ep4 was terribly written - episode 2 was pretty cliched too, and if 2 out of 5 are poor....

Crackajack - lol
Old 01-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #51
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

I think the staff chose Walking Dead because they couldn't agree.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #52
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Nah, I think they were all behind it (though Dylan didn't seem to know what was going on at one point!).

I didn't listen to them, but they sure recorded a lot of podcasts about it. Also, I think it may have got a large percentage of the internet's game of the year too.

I think it was that they didn't really talk about it on this podcast that made it a bit suspicious (look, you've got me thinking like you now).
Old 01-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #53
RandomRob

to me, Telltale's games are so similar in design that suddenly singling one out just seems odd. Like giving a Call of Duty game GOTY, because of the story.

I'm just beyond tired of zombies at this point. Unless they report Stubbs the zombie, which I would pay full price for in a heartbeat.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #54
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I know, I am totally over zombies at this point. Never liked them, really.

I saw the PC Gamer look ahead at 2013 and there seems to be a hell of a lot of zombie games coming down the pipes though
Old 01-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #55
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Quote:
I don't care about zombies that much, but looovvve The Walking Dead TV show. It is really more about the characters than the zombies.

The first two seasons are on Netflix, so watch it.

The Walking Dead is one of the rare cases wear I like the adaptation more than the source material. I read the first collection of comics and thought it was just okay.

Haven't played much of the game yet, but I will.

XCOM won GotY from Gametrailers.com
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #56
Tim Spaeth
Ready to Believe You

Quote:
I think the staff chose Walking Dead because they couldn't agree.
Heh, we each sent Richard our Top 3 games in a separate e-mail; no one saw anyone else's picks. It just so happened that we all picked Walking Dead as our favorite. Each pick is assigned a point value (3 for the top pick, 2 for second, 1 for third) and the game with the highest combined score wins GOTY. No conspiracy here, just math. It's the same brilliant system that brought you Dead Island in 2011.

And since I'm not posting an official 2012 top ten anywhere else, I offer my list to you, my dear friends....

10. Super Hexagon
9. FTL
8. Asura's Wrath
7. TERA
6. Diablo III
5. Mists of Pandaria
4. XCOM Enemy Unknown
3. Borderlands 2
2. Mass Effect 3
1. The Walking Dead

Also we cut the "Nail in the Coffin" award before showtime; this is awarded to the franchise most in need of a break after its 2012 release -- my nominee was "NEW Super Mario Bros." (and not Assassin's Creed, since Ubisoft clearly hasn't listened to me the last couple years....)
Tim Spaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:20 AM   #57
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I would have been surprised if the Walking Dead wouldn't have been the podcast goty, after all the gushing on previous podcasts. For me it's still a disappointment and I simply don't understand how there can be so many issues with corrupted savegames in the year 2012.

I'm pretty happy with XCom as GOTY, it's a great game and I can't wait to see with what Jake Solomon will come up next.

Other people's GOTY:
Eurogamer.net voted FEZ
Rock, Paper, Shotgun voted Far Cry 3
Zero Punctuation voted Spec Ops - the Line (a choice I can also fully agree with )
Kill Screen voted Journey
Gamespot voted Journey
IGN voted Journey
Gamersglobal.de voted Dishonored
Angry Joe voted Guild Wars 2
Gametrailers voted XCOM Enemy Unknown

A lot of love for Journey out there it seems.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #58
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Those Journey votes are weird. IGN? Didn't Halo come out this year?

/sarcastic internet person

Tim, I laughed out loud at your Dead Island WTF. Very well done.

Updated Ratings (with Kin and Tim's votes )

XCOM is the out and out winner with 15 pts now.

9pts
Borderlands 2
Mass Effect 3

5 pts
The Walking Dead
Sleeping Dogs
OOTP 13
FTL
Tribes: Ascend
Spec Ops: the Line
Uncharted Golden Abyss

4 pts
Papo and Yo
Assassin's Creed 3
Skyrim (eh?)
Devil Survivor 2
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
Dragon's Dogma

3 pts
Minecraft
Retro/Grade
I am Alive
Forza Horizon

2 pts
Guild Wars 2
Endless Space
Cut the Rope Experiments (Free)
FIFA Street

1pt or less
Mists of Pandaria 1 pt
Legend of Grimrock 1 pt
Natural Selection 2 1 pt
Ceramic Destroyer 1 pt
Waves 0.5 pts

That has changed the landscape quite a bit....