About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 12-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #31
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Re: Game of the Year - preliminary discussion

That is a great list, Zanbatou. Delighted, in particular, to see a shooter arrive on what will, after all, be the Official GC Forum GOTY list

I looked up the Tribes website and the first thing that hit me was 'Most Difficult Shooter. Ever'. It's a bit intimidating - is there any room there for non-twitch players?

You make a good point about Mass Effect. It was a good game, but had a hard time living up to (or down to) the previous episodes.

XCOM 13 pts
Tribes: Ascend 5 pts
Spec Ops: the Line 5 pts
Papo and Yo 4 pts
Mass Effect 3 4 pts
Dragon's Dogma 3 pts
I am Alive 3 pts
FTL 2 pts
Guild Wars 2 2 pts
Endless Space 2 pts
Legend of Grimrock 1 pt
Hero Academy 1 pt

There is still time to vote. Where are JLB, Abfackeln,
Golem, Odo, holdthephone?

RandomRob - you could still vote for #2 and #3
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #32
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

well then I'd vote for FTL as my number 3,

and Devil Survivor 2 (DS) for my number 2.

also I vote that this video be enshrined forever in awesomeness

RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #33
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Top6
Uncharted Golden Abyss
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
Retro/Grade
Cut the Rope Experiments (Free)
Ceramic Destroyer
Waves

best non 2012 game played end 2011/ beginning 2012:
Clickr (totally kicking ass with above games!)

Most time spent at character creation: japanese PSN account

Best videogame character: The Blob from Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack

Best (half decent) story: Uncharted Golden Abyss
Runner up: Alan Wake
Special Story Award for being utterly charming:
Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom

Most disappointing story: Dante’s Inferno
Runner up: Infamous – Festival of Blood
Alan Wake

Could have been best ending (not actually in the game!): Alan Wakes ending mixed with AW: The Signals ending

Worst ending: Infamous – Festival of Blood
the vampire background offered an instant win story, but the game was mediocre and the ending an exclamation mark to that

Best bossfights: Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
The Mayans were at least right in the virtual world.

Best multiplayer, co-op: Gun Bros
since it was the only coop game i played this year.
It's nothing new at all, but still i was surprised how smooth it actually worked since e.g. the pretty similar Dead Nation on PSN suffered quite unacceptable often from connection losses.

Best individual moment: Rock of Ages
youtube link

Best PS+ game i never ever would have bought regular but enjoyed a lot:
Retro/Grade
Runner Ups: Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
Wakeboarding HD
Gravity Rush

Best company: Sony
for promising great games with PS+ and fully delivering, even including the Vita without any additional costs. although being a more strict DRM than steam this rental service overall is competing with steams super cheap sale prices and is making imo first time ever console gaming cheaper than PC gaming.

Most time spent with a free to play game:
Treasures of Montezuma Blitz
Finally a Bejeweled game that is actually good except its slightly annoying f2p limitations
Runner Up: Ecolibrium

Least polished game that was still fun to play: Chronovolt
the physics and overall graphic performance is so obviously broken it's impossible it has ever undergone any sort of professional QA. Still a fun game.

Worst DLC:
Best DLC:
iirc i purchased none so
Most unnecassary DLCs: all available

Most annoying DRM: Sonys decision to make savegames of retail games and downloaded games incompatible
My 100% unlocked savegame of Wipeout unaccessible after i sold the disc and bought the game digital.

The 'what is the internet on about?' award for platform everyone seems to think is d.o.a. but which I enjoyed quite a lot: PS Vita

The 'what is the internet on about?' award for game many seem to love but which I thought being no prime example for great or at least good indie games: Amnesia

Special award for proving that i totally suck at (some) videogames:
Super Street Fighter 4
Cubixx HD

Go fuck yourself Award for blatantly stupid trophies
Big Sky Infinitys Library Award for demanding from players to spent possibly hundreds of hours with a game thats appeal probably wears off after 10-20 hours. It's sort of random, but the average player has probably seen and done everything (except all grind tasks) in less than an hour.
Runner Up: Treasures of Montezuma Blitz
straight asking to spent 100 hours playing which is about 75% more time many players will need for unlocking everything (excluding time in menus and with a time limit of in average 1,5 minutes per round...)

Best idea in video game audio
Sine Mora

The award for game being better than i thought after the demo and buying solely because of others' recommendations
Vanquish

The award for being actually not bad but failing in keeping me interested
Red Dead Redemption
Runner Up: Dead Space 2

The award for most broken "i'll finish it this year"-resolutions in a row: GT Legends
WIP since 2007 or something like that
But next year i'll fini... play GT5 instead... oh my...

The award for worst ripoff: Dante's Inferno
as a matter of fact i don't even like God of War (and own all of them ) just stupidly hoped the crusade thing would make it better

Most deaths without knowing what i could do differently: (Really) Big Sky (Infinity) (PC; PS3/Vita)

Most angry words shouted at TV due to difficulty: surprisingly this year i seem to have played just stuff that either was not good enough to invest any hate on it or not difficult/frustrating enough to ignite hate

Biggest disappointment: Max Payne 3
The original Paynes are still topping my favorite game list but i'm uncertain if i ever buy this unworthy successor.
Runner Up: Binding of Isaac

(presumably) First game of 2012 I'll buy in 2013: Catherine (EU release was 2012) or rather Asuras Wrath since Catherine is too pricey for the overhyped game it is in my expectation

Thanks to Li-Ion for some categories
Disclaimer: games mentioned haven't necessarily been released but i played them 2012
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #34
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
Best individual moment: Rock of Ages
youtube link
Heh heh, I didn't get that far but that is pretty good!

Quote:
Best company: Sony
for promising great games with PS+ and fully delivering, even including the Vita without any additional costs. although being a more strict DRM than steam this rental service overall is competing with steams super cheap sale prices and is making imo first time ever console gaming cheaper than PC gaming.
This is a good point - they have really stepped up their game this year. Two of my top 5 this year were on PSN, and I also downloaded a AAA game for the first time. If they could rein in their prices a little more (69.99 for FC3?) it would be great. This was overlooked in P Skerrit's article on Sony on the main page.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #35
Pedro
64-bit Poster

XCOM 13 pts
FTL 5 pts
Tribes: Ascend 5 pts
Spec Ops: the Line 5 pts
Uncharted Golden Abyss 5 pts
Papo and Yo 4 pts
Mass Effect 3 4 pts
Devil Survivor 2 4pts
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack 4 pts
Dragon's Dogma 3 pts
Retro/Grade 3 pts
I am Alive 3 pts
Guild Wars 2 2 pts
Endless Space 2 pts
Cut the Rope Experiments (Free) 2 pts
Legend of Grimrock 1 pt
Natural Selection 2 1 pt
Ceramic Destroyer 1 pt
Waves 0.5 pts

FTL moves up to joint 2nd..and our first handheld games make their appearance.

Interesting to note there is very little common ground outside of XCOM

Last edited by Pedro; 12-26-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #36
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

This year is weird. While there are plenty of games I really liked, none of them stand out as clear GOTY. I am sure my GOTY is out there it will probably be May be for I discover it. I have a pretty good stack of games that I have not played yet.

I'm more likely to find my 2013 GOTY first since Ni no Kuni is just a few weeks away and GTA 5 hits in the spring.

I would say that Mass Effect 3 is the most overrated game of 2012. It isn't that good of a shooter or RPG.

EDIT: I'll try to come up with a top 10 before I go to sleep.

Last edited by abfackeln; 12-22-2012 at 04:00 PM.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #37
Pedro
64-bit Poster

We could always give Mass Effect an extra zero in honour of your choice

Don't list a top ten, for god's sake! Only the top 5 will get points...
Old 12-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #38
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
We could always give Mass Effect an extra zero in honour of your choice
I'll be doing the math, so you better add my 0 points!

Here are my top 5:

1. Sleeping Dogs - It is the modern Double Dragon in an open world. Both the driving and hand to hand combat were a lot of fun. One of the few games that I actually bought the DLC for.

2. Assassin's Creed 3 - I would say that I love this game for the alternate history, but isn't alternate history what were leaned in school anyways? Love the setting and characters. Ubisoft took a risk and took the series in a new direction. They still need to work on the controls though.

3. Forza Horizon - love driving around a fictional Colorado. A good break form the sim games.

4. FIFA Street- FIFA Street is a game that I found myself staying up real late saying "one more match."

5. Borderlands 2 - Borderlands 2 is what I wanted from the fist game. Spent many hours wandering the wasteland.

Games that I wished I played before the new year:
• Binary Domain
• Yakuza: Dead Souls
• Lone Survivor
• SMT: Devil Survivor 2
• Far Cry 3
• Last Story
• The Walking Dead
• Journey

Biggest dud: Resident Evil 6 - I have nothing against military shooters. In fact I play most of them. However when Resident Evil turns into one (a least a portion of the game) I think it is time to take a rest from the genre.

Worst come-back: Kid Icarus Uprising - Pit was a big reason I bought the last Smash Brothers and I wasn't disappointed. I knew at that point Nintendo was going to bring back Kid Icarus... Then they did... and it was a rail shooter... and they had to include a stand for the 3DS because the controls were so bad... then they said it may be another 20 years before we see another Kid Icarus... Not happy.

Best new hardware: PS Vita - While I am on the fence with the Wii U I love the Vita. People cpmplain about the lasck of games, but the 3DS didn't have that big of a year in games and I don't see anyone making a fuss about that.

Last edited by abfackeln; 12-23-2012 at 02:02 PM.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:20 AM   #39
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Looks like XCom is steaming ahead not to be reached by anyone else this year. Also, no mention of podcast-darling the walking dead so far (apart from my mentioning as least playable game, hence no positive mention so far).
Old 12-24-2012, 06:03 AM   #40
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Looks like XCom is steaming ahead not to be reached by anyone else this year. Also, no mention of podcast-darling the walking dead so far (apart from my mentioning as least playable game, hence no positive mention so far).
Another podcast disconnect (for me) was Richard talking about FTL on the latest episode and explaining it like no-one had heard of it before...?

RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #41
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Nice list, Abfackeln, and I see that it includes 5 games that nobody else voted for...again! Remember on last year's podcast, Tim said the listener vote was massively fragmented - he must have got something like our list here where only two games got more than one vote.

Re: the Walking Dead - I am actually thinking of voting it my Worst Game at the moment, apart from the fact that it will make me look like a contrarian lunatic on the show. It's probably between that and Thirty Flights of Loving, though I should probably replay the latter just to make sure. After all it is only 15 minutes long so it shouldn't be too onerous.

Re: FTL - I just don't think the resident PC Gamer is playing many games outside of TF2 and is probably just now scrambling to keep up; his contribution to the site this year has taken other forms, and I'm thankful for that.

Okay, my favourite and best game of the year, the second sports title to join the list along with Abfackeln's Fifa Street (good to see sports represented), is........Madden 13!

No it is not, just joking.

My absolute top game of the year, one that I cannot conceive being bettered, is Out of the Park 13.

I won't be able to persuade anyone of the merits of this game, so I will leave it at this: I played 187 hours of this game this year, and I swear it felt like 8 hours. Nothing gripped me like it, and many evenings were spent drinking beer and shouting at my little men on the diamond.

Latest List - there is still time to vote!

XCOM is leading the pack with 13 pts.

5 pts
Sleeping Dogs
OOTP 13
FTL
Tribes: Ascend
Spec Ops: the Line
Uncharted Golden Abyss

4 pts
Papo and Yo
Assassin's Creed 3
Mass Effect 3
Devil Survivor 2
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack

3 pts
Dragon's Dogma
Retro/Grade
I am Alive
Forza Horizon

2 pts
Guild Wars 2
Endless Space
Cut the Rope Experiments (Free)
FIFA Street

1pt or less
Legend of Grimrock 1 pt
Natural Selection 2 1 pt
Ceramic Destroyer 1 pt
Borderlands 2
Waves 0.5 pts

Last edited by Pedro; 12-26-2012 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Natural Selection 2
Old 12-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #42
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
Another podcast disconnect (for me) was Richard talking about FTL on the latest episode and explaining it like no-one had heard of it before...?

Yes, that was quite something... for someone playing mainly on pc listening to the podcast is sometimes like observing a quite peculiar tribe with little connection to the outside world
Old 12-26-2012, 05:22 AM   #43
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I know this doesn't really matter much, but I'd like to change my number 5 pick from Hero Academy to Natural Selection 2.

I chose Hero Academy as my number 5 based entirely on hours played, and because I didn't have anything better at the time. It's a fine game and I had fun with it, but it never achieved that "I can't stop thinking about it" quality that I associate with great games. In hindsight, I should never have included a game I felt was merely a pleasant distraction on any sort of GOTY list.

Natural Selection 2 though. That game is legitimately great. Its learning curve is steeper than any game I've ever played, and the fun you can have with it is entirely dependent on having a good team and a great commander. But when things come together, its brilliant. And I can't stop thinking about it.

Also, its basically First Person Shooter StarCraft.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:13 AM   #44
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

Also, to answer a question posed by Pedro a week ago now...

Quote:
I looked up the Tribes website and the first thing that hit me was 'Most Difficult Shooter. Ever'. It's a bit intimidating - is there any room there for non-twitch players?
Tribes is actually the least twitch based shooter I've ever played. I think FPS fans call it the "most difficult shooter" simply because none of the twitch based skills that they've been honing for years matter in Tribes. Or, at least, they matter a lot less. It's by no means an easy game, but the mechanics are different enough from the standard FPS that I felt like I was on pretty even footing with everyone else learning to play for the first time.

Part of the fun of Tribes is that it has a pretty tricky movement system. Every player has a rocket pack that they can use to fly (thus building potential energy), and every player can "ski" down hills at the press of a button (thus converting potential energy to speed). With a little practice, you can easily fly/ski around the game's large maps at over 100 kilometers per hour.

It would be hard to hit such fast moving targets with a normal gun, and in Tribes it's harder still because most projectiles move much slower than in other FPS games. The game's signature disc launchers fire incredibly slow projectiles (though the splash damage they cause makes up for it), and even the game's more traditional weapons like chain guns and rifles require you to lead your targets by a huge amount if you actually want to hit them.

It definitely takes a lot of skill to zoom around the map quickly, and it takes more still to be able to chase a target down, predict his trajectory, and hit him with a well placed disc. These skills have very little in common with being able to outshoot an opponent in the half second machine gun battles that define traditional twitch based shooters though.

It's also free-to-play, so there's really no reason not to give it a try. Just be sure to join the "capture the flag" games, because that's really the game mode that Tribes was built around.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #45
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbatou View Post
I know this doesn't really matter much, but I'd like to change my number 5 pick from Hero Academy to Natural Selection 2.
Done

Interesting feedback about Tribes, thanks! I doubt I will try it, but it is good to know that info.