About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > GameCritics.com Discussion > Community User Submissions

Notices

Old 12-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
holdthephone
New Poster

Rep Power: 4 holdthephone is an unknown quantity at this point
Rate this revew: Mirror's Edge

Mirrorís Edge (PC) Review
Developer: DICE
Publisher: Electronic Arts, 2009

HIGH: Sprinting through doors

LOW: SWAT teams

WTF: Real life runner vision, like woah man

Side effects may include motion sickness, out of body experiences, and the inability to distinguish your surroundings from gymnastic escape routes. People have reported dumpsters appearing as platforms, the urge to vault over their cars, and the way rooftops suddenly resemble stepping stones. Although no one will probably be seen jumping between office buildings at work, itís best to stay inside for a day or so after completing DICEís innovative take on the first person perspective.

In Mirrorís Edge, that perspectiveís name is Faith, suitable for a woman who vaults skyscrapers. Her eyes are the camera, pan it down and sheís all there; a tank top that meets a pair of light khakis, tapering above her sporty red footwear so as not to obstruct movement. Her head tilts, her chest breathes, and the wind whistles past her ears. You are in this characterís shoes, and few games could claim that to such a literal degree. That bit about motion sickness wasnít a joke.

As part of an athletic insurgency called Runners, Faith uses her mastery of parkour and free running Ė effortless navigation of environment Ė to deliver information across the rooftops of a dystopian city. Itís a concrete safety net left untouched by the law, a circulatory system attempting to lend oxygen to a society that according to Faith, no longer breathes.

The isolated canopy of concrete provides an opportunity to get comfortable with Faithís body and its capabilities, a runnerís toolset of vaults, vertical and horizontal wall runs, slides and landings. Itís disorientating at first, watching the world spin with every tucked roll, seeing a pair of arms reach out to grab ledges, or even the subtle head bobbing when rounding corners. And thereís not much time to straighten out those bearings, as Faith is almost immediately thrown into a conspiracy plot involving some very confrontational police.

Suddenly sheíll be sliding down the escalators of bright, bluely painted subways, breaking into office suites where it feels like youíre dashing through an Ikea magazine, and jumping across the backdrop of a city thatís almost entirely white, shimmering beside a beautiful lakefront. Itís all very pretty but in an eerie way, like the city is too perfect, a well thought out presentation of the gameís premise. Unfortunately, it felt a jumbled narrative was necessary to help guide that theme as well.

At most, thatís all itís there for, to give Faith a good excuse to run. Itís an immature script scribbled upon a very maturely crafted game, one with an incredible atmosphere pumped by a cardiovascular soundtrack of electronic beats. To have its chapters strung together by funny looking cartoons -- and characters equally two dimensional -- is insulting to the talent seen in the gameís other areas. When lines get as melodramatic as Faith reminding her peers that the media ďisnít news, itís advertising,Ē itís almost more nauseating than any of the head whipping stunts she pulls off during the game.

Try to ignore it, because learning a game with a very real learning curve while bullet tracers dance around your every step isnít easy, and will require unhindered focus. Mirrorís Edge grants you wings but kicks you out the nest much too early in this regard, expecting you to master its tricks under a hail of small arms fire from pursuing law enforcement. And youíll fall, itís inevitable. Misjudging distances, jumping too early or too late, making awkward and on the fly decisions Ė thereís not much time to think when turning around means game over.

But the harsh truth behind the game is it rewards players who become good at it, and itís sort of why Mirrorís Edge works, eventually. The idea that missing a jump means fifty stories of windows blurring by as you approach the asphalt below is a terrifying reassurance of the gameís realism. Every jump landed after that ordeal is that much more rewarding. Losing the scent of a helicopter through a series of construction scaffoldings isnít just an obstacle course of another game; itís a matter of life and death.

That mentality certainly takes some imagination, but the game is designed to foster it. ďRunner VisionĒ is its way of conditioning you to think like Faith would, analyzing her urban surroundings for opportunities to escape. It colors these opportunities red, painting the path of a successful getaway. Maybe thatís a pipe that can be climbed, a ramp pointing towards a big jump, or a box to trampoline momentum from. The red coloring of these objects will guide you, but only just enough. Its real purpose is to rewire your brain so it can scan environments at a moment to moment pace, looking for scalable distances at every glance, red or not.

And it works, though sometimes the cops still get a step ahead of Faith, breaking the game up into a series of fight or flight situations. The fantasy trying to be achieved here is obvious and ambitious, but rarely achieved. At its best moments, the gameís combat means two officers wheeling around the approaching corridor and presenting a great opportunity to transfer the kinetic energy of a sprint into a massive drop kick. Sending the first officer reeling, take the opportunity to grab his dropped weapon and sequentially take out his partner. Toss the gun aside when youíre finished or out of ammunition, and keep on running -- no sense having it weigh Faith down.

Thatís every bit as awesome as it sounds, but usually the circumstances arenít as accessible. Often times itís a warehouse full of heavily armed SWAT officers that are waiting for you, creating a complete circus of trial and error. The cool looking disarm maneuvers demand an awkward melee confrontation, waiting for the enemy to take a swing at you, and grabbing their gun when it flashes red. Thatís a nice one on one approach, but thereís no clean way to run at a group of heavily armed men without feeling completely ridiculous, and trying anything fancy is a great way to get killed. Play your cards right and that feeling of being a super human is there, but many of the gameís set ups simply forbid that from happening.

As an escape artist itís best to run from these complications when possible, leaving them behind to enjoy a much more well executed platforming experience. The adrenaline of it all doesnít always necessarily come from being chased, either; itís more from just how authentic Faithís body feels at any given moment. Something as simple as jumping a chain linked fence, for example, is one of the gameís greatest pleasures. It rattles as Faith scales it, and you can see her legs whipping over the threshold as she vaults over it Ė a 6 foot obstacle defeated in an instant as she quickly accelerates to the next. Her body is an animated powerhouse of immersion, itís never not enjoyable to use.

That remains true in even the slower segments, which probably make up the bigger portion of the game. Outsmarting the law means going into sewer systems, elevator shafts, and other places where people arenít meant to be, but serve as exciting jungle gyms for Faithís athleticism. In a way that makes Mirrorís Edge more puzzle like than advertised, but even its chase sequences are constructed in ways that allow for multiple solutions.

Whether itís methodically climbing higher and higher into the rafters of a shopping mall, or sprinting through the fragile interior of office buildings Ė both can be tackled from different angles, and both have their own way of keeping the feeling of tension firm. Conquering complex environments with Faithís unreal upper body endurance, or flying past the sound of bullets shattering glass, itís difficult to say whatís most exhilarating.

And itís only when that tension abruptly snaps that Mirrorís Edge trips over itself. Missing a ledge by a few inches, running into a frustrating amount of guards, or having an oddly placed elevator kill the climax of a heated pursuit Ė all are occasional speed bumps in its design. However, itís the familiarity between the player and Faith that allows it to lift itself above these frustrations, and the best moments are too sweet not to revisit when that familiarity is gained. Whether thatís selecting a favorite chapter and trying to beat your best speeds, or mastering the nuances of the gameís trial courses.

But that first playthrough will always be the most memorable. After all, the game isnít about memorizing the correct paths; itís about not knowing where those paths lead. It's about those times when youíre sprinting towards a door, using all of that adrenaline to ram it open, and rushing into the blinding light of the rooftops -- not knowing where to go next. Look in all directions and cherish that sense of panic. Youíll have to make a decision and put some faith behind it, but just make sure that whatever you do decide on, you donít dare try it at home.

8.5/10

Last edited by holdthephone; 12-03-2012 at 04:27 PM.
holdthephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Re: Rate this revew: Mirror's Edge

Really well written review. I like it, but there are a couple of areas where it could be improved (imo).

It's pretty long! This is your choice of course.

I think the main thing I could say about it is that for a game where the mechanics are the most notable thing about it, your review just lacks a clear outline of those mechanics. I see what you were getting at - and your style for this review is more in the descriptive vein than the prosaic - but for me I think you need a paragraph about the mechanics in there which is expressed slightly more clearly than it is.

For example look at this review (NB I haven't really read this review, so I'm not saying whether it is any good or not, it's just an example of what I mean to say):

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...s-edge-review/

Like you, he starts off by getting into the fiction of the sparkly dystopian future, but in paragraph 3 he gets straight to an unfussy description of the mechanics. I know your review references the red handholds etc, but I feel that something plainer like this would benefit the review early on, maybe after para 3?

It's going to be a challenge to go from your style into something like that though, and I suppose that is something you have already thought of - how to impart dull info like that while keeping your tone. I can't help thinking that this style is too elaborate/flowery for the mundane task of writing reviews!

Very pleasant reading though. Would be interesting to hear what someone who hasn't played ME thinks of it.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
holdthephone
New Poster

It is a bit long, but glad you enjoyed it anyway.

I have an odd style that may not fit review writing -- or at least the traditional kind -- you may be right. But whenever I read a review I'm very put off by instruction manual paragraphs like the one you linked, and it bores me to death writing that way. "This is how you do this and it's fun" -- just not a fan of that approach

For example, he later goes over the melee disarm in another paragraph, explains it fairly mathematically and then simply calls it "satisfying" and "awesome." As a reader that sounds like a pretty shallow analysis to simply take on faith, and so whenever I criticize or compliment a game I want people to understand why I'm doing so, instead of taking my opinion for face value.

Though if I do sound vague at times, I'll certainly try to improve upon that. Thanks for the thoughtful feedback.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

I think what Pedro's getting at is that the mechanics were universally cited as problematic in Mirror's Edge. The 'Parkour game that keeps trying to be a FPS for no good reason' problem.

Since there has been ALOT of argument about it, and the debate has come and gone, it's important to come down critically reasoned on one side or the other, and back up your reason. Because everybody knows about the promise of this game, the exhilarating headlong rush. The game didn't quite deliver on that promise.

You should also read the reveiws on site of this game, because if your aim is to be published, then you're writing a second opinion piece.. which is easier because you dont have to do so much exposition about the gameplay-

but it's harder because you have to find a center for your piece that's strong, which is hard when it's already been written about!

PS I would like to see you get published here- you are a good writer!
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
holdthephone
New Poster

Hmm. See, I just wrote this as an honest take, a review and nothing else. When I write reviews I like to pretend as if the games were just released, because otherwise my opinions wouldn't be very genuine. You'd be responding to other critics instead of the game itself, which always comes off as a bit lame and a little pompous.

There are a lot of arguments already made about Mirror's Edge, true, and so I accept the disadvantage of not having many new readers to garner feedback from. But regardless, I have to block out any of that earlier influence and just focus on how I'd review this game as it stands on its own. If I had the money I'd review new releases regularly, but for now all I can do is practice writing appropriately with older titles.

But yeah, the timing of this review is off, so I can see why it would be confusing to read about a game like this when everything there is to say has already been said.

Also, thanks, it would be cool to get user reviews published here, from anyone really. I've only had community spotlights for a few articles on other sites, and a chicago magazine bought my Journey review earlier this summer, but so far that's all I got under my belt!

Last edited by holdthephone; 12-05-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdthephone View Post
Hmm. See, I just wrote this as an honest take, a review and nothing else. When I write reviews I like to pretend as if the games were just released, because otherwise my opinions wouldn't be very genuine. You'd be responding to other critics instead of the game itself, which always comes off as a bit lame and a little pompous.
You're not responding to other critics, you're participating in the community here. There is a staff of professional writers who write for the site, not because it pays, but because they enjoy doing it. If you are recognized for writing excellence, they will help you shape your review and get it published, here, on the site. They are willing to make a commitment to you, in exchange for your commitment to edit your work, be more precise, try harder. I wrote 2nd opinion pieces for the site, and it was challenging and worthwhile.

It's invaluable as a writer to get this kindof attention, especially when you're writing in a specific niche.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
holdthephone
New Poster

I get what you're saying, then, thanks for the advice. I have a one track mind that's convinced me to only write reviews, but it would probably be a good idea to explore some different avenues.