About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 04:48 AM   #1
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou
My friend Daniel needs help

My best friend Daniel Somerville is an amazing artist who's coming close to fulfilling his dream of professionally drawing fantasy art. He is far and away the most talented person I know, and I honestly can't believe he isn't already ridiculously successful.

A few of my favorite pictures of his can be seen here, here, and here. See? He's great, right?

Wow. I am not good at this.

Ahem. A little over a month ago my friend had a seizure, and was rushed to the hospital where he was diagnosed with brain cancer. After a few days in the hospital, he finally underwent emergency surgery to have a tumor removed from his brain.

That surgery was a resounding success. I was not aware that humans could recover so quickly, and so completely, from something so scary.

But Daniel still has a long battle ahead of him. He recently started on radiation treatments and chemo therapy, and there's still no word on how long those treatments are supposed to last, or how rough they will be.

And there are also the ever climbing medical costs to deal with. My friend did not have insurance.

I would like to ask you all to do at least one of the following three things:

1: Please take the time to explore some of Daniel's art, and leave him some comments if you have time. This story made the rounds on reddit shortly before his surgery, and the overwhelming support displayed by that community did so much to raise the spirits in the hospital room that night.

2: If you like what you see, please share his art (and story) with anyone you think might be interested in it. One silver lining of this whole situation is that Daniel's art is finally getting some of the attention it has always deserved. In the long term, this publicity is going to make a much bigger difference than the actual fund raising part of our campaign ever will.

You can find more of his art on his indiegogo campaign page: http://www.indiegogo.com/help-daniel, or on his deviant art page: http://chailette.deviantart.com/gallery/

3: There is also a fund raising component to this campaign. In the short term, Daniel can use all the help he can get. You can read more about our fund raising efforts (and donate, if you feel so inclined) at our indiegogo page here: http://www.indiegogo.com/help-daniel

Every little bit helps. There are also high rez copies of his art available as a perk if you donate as little as $10, so be sure to give the page a look.

Thank you everyone for your time, help, and support.

Last edited by Zanbatou; 10-18-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Re: My friend Daniel needs help

Man, that is rough. I wish him a full recovery. Any chemo course is pretty horrible, so I feel for him.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
gamevet

I wish your friend the best of luck.

My mother passed away last year, after a very short battle with cancer. The doctors in Montana are literally a death sentence when it comes to critical healthcare.

It sounds like your friend is in much better hands. Hopefully he can continue on with his artwork soon. His art is pretty impressive.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Thank you.

Sorry to hear about your mom.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

The new Indiefort Countdown Bundles are giving funds to my friend's brain cancer fund for the next five weeks.

The Indiefort Countdown Bundles will give 5% of its money to help my friend (and great fantasy artist/DM) Daniel, with the option to give as much extra as you please to Daniel and/or the devs. There will be a new bundle every week, with discounts going to people who buy them each week (thus the countdown moniker).

You can see a list of games in the bundles here.