About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 05-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #1966
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenDie View Post
I am aware that Red Faction Armageddon is a more linear experience, so I have some curiosity after losing interest in this open world. However, I am yet to read any positive reviews. Anyone in the forum have any experience with it?
I was actually somewhat excited for Armageddon when it first came out, but then I played the demo. Just didn't do enough for me, so I never did pick up a copy.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:34 AM   #1967
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenDie View Post
Red Faction Guerilla, Xbox360Anyone in the forum have any experience with it?
Not seen you on here before, welcome to the forum

I've gone on about how great I think this game is. I think it's a classic, I loved it. But, as mentioned in response already, the last mission is unfairly difficult- especially when you're playing on hard mode as it is! Alas, I have yet to finish it. Shame, as I thought everything else about the game is great. I didn't think the enemy AI was that bad at all (I remember being impressed with the fact that, instead of spawning out of thin air, they'd arrive at the scene of a conflict in armoured vehicles and have to make their way to you first), and I haven't seen the destruction in that game be bettered since. Everything in the game has a strong, satisfying sense of weight behind it, which is ironic, since it's set in the low-gravity setting that is a colonised Mars. It never got boring blowing stuff up, or comedically crashing a vehicle all the way through an enemy base.

Definitely in my top five games of this gen.

Last edited by JLB1987; 05-03-2012 at 03:36 AM.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #1968
GoldenDie
New Poster

Thanks for the welcome and response to my post. I've been lurking on and off for the last year! Hopefully from now on I can make an appearance a little more often.

Talking about the difficulty of the game, had I tried the game on hard I am almost certain that I would have shelved Guerilla long before the finish...I went through the whole game on normal. Even on middle difficulty I found the missions frustratingly difficult. In terms of finishing, you are only missing a mediocre cut scene, there is no mind blowing resolution as a payoff for the effort that you put in.

It is thought provoking to see how much you like the game JLB. I've been thinking more about what turned me off it. I suppose I lost interest in the destruction mechanic quite rapidly, while it seems like you found that dimension really compelling. I felt that most of the vehicles I drove into the buildings got damaged and caught fire before I had caused any substantial damage, which meant I was sprinting away to find another dumper truck. Then rinse and repeat. If the story had been stronger then I may have felt more positive about the whole experience.

For the combat with the EDF, I agree that it was a pleasant change to introduce genuine traversal over the game world as a means of going from A to B for the enemy soldiers rather than teleportation! I just did not warm to the combat though, I found it awkward and far too easy to get stuck in scenery and a number of times I fired rockets that blew up in my face and I was certain I was aiming correctly, avoiding all nearby masonry. The game was strongest in the vehicles for me.

To add to the positives, apart from the Walker moments, I also enjoyed the spotter missions as a change from the standard drive and destroy gameplay.
GoldenDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #1969
Pedro
64-bit Poster

And Yet it Moves (PC)

I said I would never play another platformer again - now that I have beaten AYiM I can make good on that promise.

It was addictive and compelling, and really fun to play. Most importantly it was short; took me 4 hours in Steam Time, but I'd imagine anyone half competent could shave an hour or two off that.

Recommended if you like puzzle platformers.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #1970
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Warlock - Master of the Arcane

The end was a bit underwhelming. Research one final spell, cast it, done. My flying paladins of death, life and a couple of other things made minced meat out of everything the game could throw at me by the end. Not to forget my swarms of dragons and my fleet roaming the seas. The whole game was a bit underwhelming, as I hoped for something like Master of Magic but got something like Fantasy General. Main problem is that the strategy part of this strategy game is seriously undercooked.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #1971
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

L.A. Noire (360) First 2/3 kept me hooked, first cases of the arson desk kind of dragged, but the ending was solid.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #1972
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Peggle Dual Shot

Completed both adventure modes. Not much to say, it's like super Pachinko. Addictive as crack, I liked it. On to the challenges!
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #1973
Pedro
64-bit Poster

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl (PC)

Wow, that was quite a trip. It weighed in at almost 40 hours in the end, and some of the later levels were very punishing, what with having to manage ammo, health, radiation, carry weight, all while fighting off dozens of enemies of various kinds, as well as the environment.

I had to back out of one level halfway through to go back to base and stock up on more medkits. Luckily the enemies generally stay dead in STALKER and I was able to start back where I left off. The most fun in a way, is the start of the game, where you are quite powerless.

It has its flaws, but if only every game had its ambition. Highly recommended.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #1974
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Diablo 3 on normal difficulty. Since I just got to level 32 of 60 I guess there is still something ahead of me until the 'endgame'.

Good game. But half the stuff still doesn't work. Today the auction house was offline for some reason.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #1975
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Hooray! Meet the 2020 World Series Champs, the Oakland A's.

Dogged by injuries to my batters all year (and losing my #1 starter to a career-ending injury just when I'd signed him to a 24m contract extension), starting pitching was the key, well backed up by a decent bullpen and a nice blend of batting power and finesse. Wonderful game.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #1976
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Finished the campaign in Skyrim. I'd originally spent 50 hours or so just tooling about in Skyrim last November and then I got sick of it. Went back to do the main quest and was reasonably impressed with it (though not enough to continue trophy-hunting - I'd originally thought I'd go for the Platinum).
Old 07-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #1977
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Am I the only one that's playing games around here?

Anyway, finished Rage. It was good, but not great. In fact, I'd say a game reviewer would earn his spurs by identifying exactly what was wrong with it, because I can't place it. It was reasonably fun, the enemies were fine, the levels were amazing to look at, though linear. Fatigue set in, as usual, after the 8-hour mark.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #1978
Kin Korn Karn

Seems that way! Well, at least you are the only one FINISHING games I suppose.

I have several in the hopper, but haven't completed a game since finishing main quest of Skyrim. Once I complete the Dawnguard side of the DLC I'll post up. Then back to Dragon's Dogma.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #1979
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Am I the only one that's playing games around here?

Anyway, finished Rage. It was good, but not great. In fact, I'd say a game reviewer would earn his spurs by identifying exactly what was wrong with it, because I can't place it. It was reasonably fun, the enemies were fine, the levels were amazing to look at, though linear. Fatigue set in, as usual, after the 8-hour mark.
there was no sense of progression. It was more like being forced to move to new locations to do more of the same tasks.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #1980
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Yeah, they could have jazzed up the story, narrative or what have you, but at the end of the day it's a shooter. Shooter-fatigue could have something to do with it:

Of the 17 games (christ) that I've finished this year, 7 were shooters, 3 RPGs, 4 Platformer/Puzzlers, 2 Other and 1 Sports.

I don't even like shooters. Or platformers really.

Dead Space 2
Resistance 3
Uncharted 3
Rage
Binary Domain
I am Alive
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl

Dark Souls
Mass Effect 3
Skyrim

Portal 2
And Yet it Moves