About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 04-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #1951
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

LA Noire

I haven't beaten it yet, but I'm tempted to go to Rockstar's Download dept and beat someone there for making the download unpatchable and unplayable. GRRRRR

What were they thinking?
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:34 AM   #1952
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Finished Legend of Grimrock and it was awesome! It is not simply inspired by Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder or Lands of Lore, it's more like a loveletter to this genre that has pretty much died out in the Quake-era.

The concept is simple: a party of four prisoners (adventurers) descents into Grimrock, the most remote area of an unnamed kingdom for crimes they committed. It's never explained what crimes, but whoever escapes mount Grimrock is absolved of all crimes. Too bad no one escaped, until now. There's not much of a story beyond that, but that's not the point.

Movement is tile by tile and turns are 90 degrees only (albeit free mouse look exists and is helpful in some of the puzzles). Combat is fairly simple and covers melee, ranged attacks and a magic system which is based on clicking a series of runes in order to cast a spell, rather than selecting the spell from a list. Getting a spell ready while being chased by a legion of giant crabs tests the ability to multitask and I don't envy people trying to play with a party of two (or more) mages.

Each level has not only it's share of combat against increasingly difficult enemies, but also a range of puzzles. The puzzle design is very good and the puzzles manage to stay challenging without being overly obscure (a problem with puzzles in a lot of fantasy games). There is always some hint hidden somewhere. There is generally a lot of stuff hidden. Many secrets wait behind moving walls, unlocked by hidden switches. Also seven treasures lie hidden, in my time in Grimrock I could only find 3 of them.

It's available on steam, gog.com or the developers website directly. It took me 15 hours to complete (and I missed out quite a lot of secrets and treasures it seems) and I can't remember any dull moments. Also they promised to release a map editor soon, which means this game could possibly go on forever with user generated dungeons.

Grimrock has my seal of approval
Old 04-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #1953
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Just finished Journey.

Must play I'd say.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #1954
Pedro
128-bit Poster

How was Legend of Grimrock's combat and party management? I'm intrigued by the game but I cannot bear clicking on attack, heal and cast every time until the goblin falls over.

That makes me sound terrible, but I do find it very tedious. Is there a 'lite' option in combat?
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #1955
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Firstly: there are no Goblins in Grimrock

Grimrock is an oldschool dungeon crawl in the truest sense. There is (automap aside) no concession to modern gaming sensibilities. Yes, that means you have to click for each attack and spells are cast by clicking multiple runes. So when you don't like clicking a lot, better don't take a mage. There are no healing spells. Your best shot for survival is preventing damage and the odd healing potion. Healing potions have to be crafted via alchemy, they don't just lie around.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #1956
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Arrow Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Oh man, crafting as well? That's me out!

The fifteen hour thing sounds attractive for this type of game though. I may check it out, thanks for the write up.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #1957
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

hahaha

The crafting isn't THAT bad
It's fairly simple, just put a flask and some green stuff in a mortar and you can take your health potion.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #1958
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Batman: Arkham City (360)
I really enjoyed this game. Not a huge fan of the caped crusader, but he definitely has some of the best villains around, which definitely helped to make this game great. Solid story, side missions that didn't seem tacked on, and overall good combat system were more pluses. There were a couple parts where enemy AI seemed to be out of whack with the rest of the game and the end cut-scene where Batman walks out of the city was extremely lame, but those are just minor complaints. This game was a rental, but I would definitely think of buying a copy should I find one cheap enough.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #1959
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Splatterhouse (360)
Since January, I've been playing this game off-and-on between rentals. It had been about a month since I had played, as I had gotten stuck at a particularly difficult section in the second to last level. Told myself I would give that section no more than 5 tries this evening and ended up passing the part on try number two.

The game itself was alright. Nothing spectacular. Decent beat-em-up that I am glad to have finally beat, but won't be disappointed trying to sell it in the near future.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #1960
Pedro
128-bit Poster

I am Alive

I had the day off work and ended up devoting much of it to this game - completion time said 7.5 hours in-game but I suspect it was more like ten when do-overs were included. At any rate, a length which really suited me.

The game itself was pretty good. The controls were a little ropy at times for a platformer, but in the main it was well executed without too much repetition. Atmospherically it almost succeeded too well; at times I was thinking, I really don't want to go back out into the streets to do this next mission.

Really good game overall, and while it's not for everyone, it's reasonably cheap and the developers should be rewarded for producing an original game.

Glad to be finished it though. And of all the games I've played this year, it turns out Mass Effect had one of the best endings of the lot; this one's atrocious.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #1961
Kin Korn Karn

Finished Mass Effect 3 this past week. It was tough avoiding the conversations about the ending. I'm torn. There are some really well written critiques about it all over the internet, naturally. But then again the whole "artistic license" thing gets in the way. Great series in any event. Looking forward to what else they may end up doing in that universe.

Struggling on whether to play Xenoblade Chronicles or Witcher 2 for 360 next. It's good to have choices!
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #1962
JLB1987
Sex machine

The Walking Dead. I've never read the comics, and didn't really enjoy the television series, but really wanted to give this game a go. I liked the thought of a zombie game based on the characters, rather than killing everything you see (got Left 4 Dead 2 for that).

Anyway, I loved it. I'd describe it as a simplified point & click (bear in mind I'm only familiar with old school ones, not played any of Telltale Games other recent episodic games), with an emphasise on character interaction. It only last two hours, with more episodes to be released presumably on a monthly basis. The only bad thing I really have to say is that you have to click on stuff in a pretty exact location for you to be able to interact with it. For example, if you want to open a door, you can't just click on the door- they'll be a specif spot you have to click on. This can lead to furiously shaking the mouse until you get the right spot.

There are five major decisions in the game that dictate how the rest of the episode, and future episodes, play out. I get the feeling that the story won't play out too differently despite any choices made, but I expected this. I like how, after completeing the episode, each of the five major decisions you made are listed at the end, along with what the majority of other players chose to do. Turns out for every single decision, I chose the least popular option!

Overall, I'd highly recommend this, even if you haven't read the comic book this is based upon.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #1963
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

I also completed the Walking Dead: Episode 1. My play through was on XBLA and spent about the same amount of time. Didn't find things to need that much precision, just that you had to be close and see a circle icon. The game is fantastic and I too enjoyed seeing the statistics at the end of the episode.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #1964
GoldenDie
New Poster

Red Faction Guerilla, Xbox360

I'm clearing through the backlog, and as I purchased this one back in November, I felt that it was about time to knuckle down and finish it.

Mixed feelings on this game, with my strongest feeling being that of disappointment. My initial forays with the game were positive, before the creeping boredom set in.

I liked the open world and destruction engine incorporated into the game, but my interest in the campaign really dropped off about halfway through. I found it necessary to take regular breaks because the story underpinning Mason's righteous quest did not hold me sufficiently after the mechanics of bringing down buildings with weaponry and vehicles were mastered.

I held a forlorn hope that the narrative development would make up for the repetitive gameplay.
The story that Volition began to develop (primarily through the cinematics) was largely forgotten as the game progressed until the majority of the missions in EOS had been completed, by which point I was strongly considering bailing. I'm well aware that the Guerilla action side missions presented some variety within the gameplay, but I chose to persevere with the main campaign and hoped to be immersed by a pleasing story of repression and retribution. Instead the loss of Mason's brother and the plight of the Mars populace seemed no more than a ploy to justify the wholesale destruction that followed. In my opinion this game dragged on longer than the game mechanics could support. The combat in the game did not develop sufficiently and the swarming masses of identical EDF soldiers overwhelmed me by their sheer weight of numbers rather than their ingenuity.

As has been touched on elsewhere in this thread the climax of the game is underwhelming...three shots of my Thermobaric rockets and credits rolled. My sense of achievement was minor and I felt hard pressed to remember high points of the campaign, although the god like power I felt using the Walkers almost brings me to recommend this game alone....maybe my journey with this game was to bring me to the realisation that I am a mech fan!

I am aware that Red Faction Armageddon is a more linear experience, so I have some curiosity after losing interest in this open world. However, I am yet to read any positive reviews. Anyone in the forum have any experience with it?

Last edited by GoldenDie; 05-01-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Correction.
GoldenDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #1965
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenDie View Post
Red Faction Guerilla, Xbox360
Anyone in the forum have any experience with it?
Indeed. I share the same sentiment as you, save for the fact that I did NOT complete the game. Nothing that you do in the first 98% of the game prepares you for the horde of enemy forces they throw at you at the end. It is a cheap mechanic, and it seems lazy to me. After a few days of attempting the final mission I put it back on the shelf. It's a shame, really, as I truly enjoyed almost every other aspect of the game.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote