About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 04-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #196
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough
Re: What are you playing right now?

I don't finish many games, either. Unless it's Phoenix Wright
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #197
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Will be interested to hear your thoughts on this, as I easily spent 500 hours with the original M&B. It's in my top five games ever. The forums are full of good advice, and don't take on too much at the start.
I made a new thread about M&B. I captured a horse from some unlucky desert raider. I don't really play a knight. I don't really know what I play, but she has as highest stat charisma and highest skill leadership.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #198
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
I don't finish many games, either. Unless it's Phoenix Wright
You should concentrate on shorter games! Go and download Dear Esther, To the Moon, Bastion etc and you'll have a chance!

As well as OOTP baseball, I'm now playing:

It's crazy hard. I've never had the patience to learn how to hit, but there are several control schemes to choose from, so I'm hopeful one of them will work for me. Franchise mode is a bit difficult to figure out as well as the manual only shows you the control pad basically.

Also downloaded I am Alive today and it looks promising. Unlike the two baseball games, I shoul be able to finish it at least.

Last edited by Pedro; 04-21-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:05 AM   #199
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

I downloaded Dear Esther and tried it, thought the idea was alot more interesting than the actual execution. Also, I disliked the 'gliding around like a swan' feel of it. Would've liked a more natural feeling of walking.

I don't not finish their games because of their length, it has more to do with interest level. Increasingly, games just don't interest me like they used to. I think it has to do with being challenged by the story or characters. I loved Enslaved for that reason. It raised questions and didn't answer them for you. That's an experience I relish when playing a game, but not one I find very often.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #200
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Did you finish Dear Esther? I liked it well enough but I can't imagine why anyone would play it again. The whole on rails thing was annoying - I guess they didn't want you to ever turn back.

My main issue was with the narrative though. They needed to get more of the story out there, not just string together a bunch of wishy-washy vignettes and hope that the listener will fill in enough blanks that they attain some artistic significance. They could have made it something special by being less opaque.

Interesting that Enslaved grabbed you above other games. For intriguing gameplay experiences I am going to try and play STALKER and Metro 2033 this year, which will probably give me what I want, but they seem to be games where the world is the character rather than the inhabitants (which is what I'm into I guess).

In other news, hitting in The Show 12 is fucking impossible. I don't know if I'll be able to get past it and enjoy the game. Painful.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:50 AM   #201
RandomRob

Quote:
Did you finish Dear Esther? I liked it well enough but I can't imagine why anyone would play it again. The whole on rails thing was annoying - I guess they didn't want you to ever turn back.

My main issue was with the narrative though. They needed to get more of the story out there, not just string together a bunch of wishy-washy vignettes and hope that the listener will fill in enough blanks that they attain some artistic significance. They could have made it something special by being less opaque.

Interesting that Enslaved grabbed you above other games. For intriguing gameplay experiences I am going to try and play STALKER and Metro 2033 this year, which will probably give me what I want, but they seem to be games where the world is the character rather than the inhabitants (which is what I'm into I guess).

In other news, hitting in The Show 12 is fucking impossible. I don't know if I'll be able to get past it and enjoy the game. Painful.
I played about half an hour of Dear Esther and moved on, didnt feel the need to go any further.. it was clear there wasnt going to be any major reveal or shift in what was happening..

Enslaved had 3 things I love: Antiheroes, American cities covered in weeds, and a golden age sci-fi art design.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #202
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Games that I have been playing in short burst are FIFA Street, FIFA 12 Vita, and SSX.

Tales From Space: Mutant Blob Attack on the Vita is a must have. It is a cross between Locoroco and Katamari.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #203
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Re: What are you playing right

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
I played about half an hour of Dear Esther and moved on, didnt feel the need to go any further..
I felt like bailing after half an hour myself, but thought I should at least finish a two hour game I'd paid fifteen bucks for! Glad I did, in the end.

I hope you get over your ennui soon.

Now I'm playing X3: Albion Prelude.Has anyone else played any of the X3 games? I played Terran Conflict as a trader for about fifty hours, but didn't get very far. I'm playing this one as a fighter (flying SS Deadly Premonition) and am doing some of the missions. Have just picked up SS Nippy Bastard and am on my way to do a spying mission. There's a lot of flying, I hope they let me keep Nippy once the mission is over.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #204
RandomRob

Re: What are you playing right

Quote:
I felt like bailing after half an hour myself, but thought I should at least finish a two hour game I'd paid fifteen bucks for! Glad I did, in the end.

I hope you get over your ennui soon.
I paid $2.99 so I didnt feel any buyer's remorse. I'll support art ventures on principle, even if I don't play or enjoy them that much. Need to play Trauma at some point, bought it months ago.

It's not ennui, rather I'm getting VERY picky about what I play.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #205
GoldenDie
New Poster

Team Fortress 2, XBox 360

After playing a number of rather involved single player experiences I opted to try TF2.

I've owned the Orange Box since last year. Until I learned of Richard's love of the game through the Podcast I had no interest in trying this out.

With my awareness that Valve have cut ties with the console version I was initially skeptical as to my chances of finding a game to join, particularly as we are now getting on for five years since release.

I was pleasantly surprised to find it easy to join a live game. After a couple of hours of play spread over the last couple of nights I have been quickly drawn into the experience and find myself enjoying it immensely. I've experimented with most of the different character classes, finding the medic and the pyro most to my taste so far. The game is easy to pick up and play, and even in the midst of regular deaths, I have yet to experience the same frustration and rage that I find with the Modern Warfares and Halo's when I'm on the receiving end of the bullets.

Why is this?

I have a feeling that I must give credit to valve for giving the world of TF2 some character. Apart from the distinct classes they created, I enjoy watching the taunt animations and listening to the voices of each character. I also appreciate the look of the cartoon style in this game. The sum total of these elements engenders TF2 with a charm that brings a smile to my face.

The smile remains as my cartoon remains splatter across the wall for the umpteenth time.

Does anybody else still dip their toes into this game?

Last edited by GoldenDie; 04-30-2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Typos!
GoldenDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #206
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I bought an ipod touch a couple weeks ago, for a whole bunch of important and productive reasons. I have not used the device for anything other than Hero Academy so far.

It surprised me how much of a difference having true wireless online multiplayer makes. This is the first mobile gaming platform that I've actually been using in a mobile context. I really like the asynchronous turn structure that is apparently pretty common with ios games as well (you can have multiple games going on and the device will notify you when it is your turn).

Hero Academy itself seems pretty fun. It's sort of a chess-light cartoony strategy game with enough depth to be interesting for at least a couple weeks. Though honestly, I think most of my fun is coming from the novelty of the device more than the game itself.

The biggest problem I have with the game is how hard it is to find challenging opponents. Like most Ipod games, this one is aimed squarely at the casual market, and the casual market is, almost by definition, pretty bad at games. It would be fine if there was some sort of ranking or sophisticated match making system in place, but there isn't. The best you can do is start a lot of random games and only ask for rematches from the players who actually put up a fight. Or you could just play with friends, of course.

I've had a few really close matches, and I'm in the middle of a few more that I could very well lose, but my record so far is something like 25 wins, 0 losses (and I'm still learning how to play the game). I vastly prefer the steeper learning curve of games like StarCraft, where beginning records of 0-25 are probably not uncommon. You learn more when you lose, and when you finally do win you feel like you've earned it.

All in all I'm pretty happy with my purchase. The justifications I made to buy the ipod in the first place still exist, so the games are entirely a bonus. I think I'll move on to Angry Birds soon. See what that's all about.

Last edited by Zanbatou; 04-30-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #207
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Been playing And Yet it Moves, the collage platformer, but have got stuck at the jumping sections in level 8. I was hoping, it being so short, that it would be another game finished this year. However, despite it being a really good game, I absolutely despise platformers and I hope to never play one again.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #208
RandomRob

Peggle Dual Shot on the DS.

Help! I am addicted to Peggle!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #209
JLB1987
Sex machine

Mortal Kombat, for the Vita. Can't remember if I mentioned I was playing the Xbox version on here, but I loved it enough that I felt compelled to get the Vita version for the extra content (not to mention, having something to play on it!)

Christ, I love this game so. I can't imagine it's the connoisseur's choice of fighting game, but I certainly wouldn't classify it as a button basher, either. It's easier to get into than most beat 'em ups, which must be some of it's appeal. The story mode I've just started going through, and I forgot how much I loved the concept of the storyline. Exactly how a reboot of a series should be done.

The added extras are all fun- the DLC characters from the big version are all here, new costumes for many of the fighters, and a new challenge tower, which implements the Vita's features (for example, Fruit Ninja with an MK twist via the touch screen).

On the downside, the graphics are UGLY. When everything is moving and playing as normal, it looks fine, but when it goes in for a close-up of the characters... just wow. Looks like the character models have been taken from a PSP game. A real shame.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #210
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

L.A. Noire (360) Had read some mixed reaction to this game, with many people citing that it did not live up to its potential. Can't say that I agree. I am fully immersed in this game and really enjoy the different cases. My only complaint is when driving and you get stuck on the tiniest, most minor of details in the landscape. This really hurts the chase scenes.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote