About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #1936
Kin Korn Karn

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Wow, this thread is almost 8 years old. Crazy. Creepy?
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:16 AM   #1937
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Korn Karn View Post
I often look at earlier posts on this very thread, and wonder what happened to some of the regular posters who I never talked to, because I joined too late. Have they forgotten about this site? Are they dead? Or, worse yet, have they acquired a family and no longer have time for videogames? This makes me sad
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #1938
Muffin Militia
New Poster

Rep Power: 0 Muffin Militia is an unknown quantity at this point

I just recently finished Trine 2 and Bastion. Excellent little games, well worth my money.
Muffin Militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #1939
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Got my PC back from repair last week, which means I can play PC games again, but unfortunately it no longer lets me access Gamecritics.com. Something to do with the MAC/DNS settings in my router apparently, which I have no hope of sorting out.

So no more Gamecritics, not much anyway.

Beaten:

Uncharted 3 - didn't like it at all at first, but it grew on me. They need to change it up for the next episode, it's essentially the same game over and over.

Dear Esther
Eh, it was ok if you can appreciate an introspective experience with your video games. I think the random narrative left a lot of holes, and while it was decent, it could have been better. Also didn't like that you couldn't walk back the way you came, and that some mechanics - jumping into the deep pools meant that the narrator could never have gone backwards, so who lit the candles etc - meant that immersion was broken over silly things that they could have implemented easily. Good overall, glad I played it.

Binary Domain
Preposterous plot, but excellent fun. Shooting the robots never go old and at about 9-10 hours was just the right length for me. Voice commands were useless for me personally, but I don't think they made any difference, at least on Normal difficulty. Highly recommended.

Alice: Madness Returns
Technically I'm still playing this but I may have had enough. Really enjoyable platforming, for a while. However it is far far far far far too long. Far too long. Agh!
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #1940
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Mass Effect 3
Great game. More after some sleep.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #1941
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Journey

Not sure what to make of it. It was certainly an interesting interactive experience - I'm not a huge fan of multiplayer, so having some random dude fizzing around beside me and warbling away to his heart's content was very weird; both anonymous and horribly intimate at the same time.

As a game, I thought Flower was better and that it had more transcendent moments; Journey is both less original (in the way of story and gameplay) and more thought provoking. Still mulling it over really.

In the course of my journey I met eight other players, which surprised me.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #1942
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Beat Gears of War 3 yesterday. First Gears game I've ever played. Decent game, but definitely seems designed for multiplayer more than anything else. Would probably be willing to replay with other people, but doubtful that will happen any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
I often look at earlier posts on this very thread, and wonder what happened to some of the regular posters who I never talked to, because I joined too late. Have they forgotten about this site? Are they dead? Or, worse yet, have they acquired a family and no longer have time for videogames? This makes me sad
I like how death is second worse on your list...
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #1943
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Korn Karn View Post
After reading this and JLB's post, I got all nostalgic and looked back at some earlier posts. Besides remembering some of the old GameCritics regulars, I now also have a strong hankering to play Metroid Prime.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #1944
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Beat Kirby's Return to Dream Land (Wii) earlier today. Decent game, but the levels don't really match up to the difficulty level of the end bosses. Also, my wife was bored after the first few stages, which is easy to understand, but the rest of the game would have been much better playing co-op.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS: Lastly, I am tired of the gaming storyline where you help a mysterious new character defeat some "evil" character only to find out in the end that your original "friend" is actually your foe and vise-versa. This has been done to death and Return to Dream Land's twist was obvious a mile away. In fact, much about Kirby's story was awful similar to the underrated Bomberman 64. Even the final boss was eerily familiar in design.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #1945
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
After reading this and JLB's post, I got all nostalgic and looked back at some earlier posts. Besides remembering some of the old GameCritics regulars, I now also have a strong hankering to play Metroid Prime.
I know, right!?!

Done with Kingdoms of Amalur. I rushed the last third of the game and ignored most all side quests in favor of storyline and main quests. Didn't feel it was necessary due to the strange level-lock decision Big Huge made. I have no idea what the story was about, nor did I care. No emotional investment, and I'll probably never be back.

Also a quick mention on a fun iOS game, Tiny Bang Story. Fun and quirky. Fun puzzles, just a bit short, erm, tiny.

On to ME3. I gotta see what all the fuss is about with the ending.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #1946
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Mass Effect 3

I have to say, what they've done over the three games has been a magnificent achievement. There have been a few missteps along the way but it's great to play a game of such scope and ambition.

I need to go and read up on all the fuss about the ending was now. I'm honestly baffled. To the spoiler threads!
Old 04-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #1947
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Bastion

Tim Spaeth's game of the year and an excellent game all round. Nice art, gameplay, music and narration, from what seems like a tiny team. If I'd been involved in making this game I'd be immensely proud.

Speaking of games of the year, has anyone actually played Dead Island yet? I still haven't but am hoping to co op it with my brother, hoping it'll be a Borderlands type experience.

No games now for a couple of weeks as I'm away.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #1948
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

I started Dead Island.. thought it was pretty fun, very easy to go in and out of co-op. But zombie killing games are hard for me to stay with.

Definitely liked it better than ANY zombie shooter I've played tho
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #1949
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Sonic Generations (360)
Main levels were fun and for the most part 2D and 3D Sonic worked well together. Challenges were lame, especially since you have to complete some to progress through some levels.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #1950
Pedro
64-bit Poster

To the Moon

Just finished this and the fact I stayed up till almost 3am to finish it when I have an 8am flight says a lot.

Really excellent, though it's more a story than a game. The 'game' aspect really only involves moving your character around and some extremely basic puzzles. There's only the illusion of interactivity really.

Great storytelling though, supported by some fine music and an intricate plot. A real pleasure, and quite affecting at times.