About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 11-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Exclamation Skyward Sword - Perfect?

I just skimmed the review, since most IGN reviews are better left to reading the closing comments and breakdown scores, but IGN has given The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword a perfect 10. It's a lengthy review (3 pages, really!?!), but according to IGN the only thing the game lacks is perfect sound.

Even without this glowing critique, Skyward Sword had looked like a good game. Will be interested to see other reviews come in. Anyone here plan on picking up the latest Legend of Zelda?
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte
Re: Skyward Sword - Perfect?

The prospect of working 1:1 swordplay is enticing.

I can't help but feel like if I had the money for one game, I'd be choosing this over Skyrim and Battlefield 3 and all the other big hitters this holiday.
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
Kin Korn Karn

I preordered it, but not sure why. Skyrim will probably keep me busy for the next several months.

Looking forward to it, though. Read a few reviews. Most are glowing but a few gripe about the world not being overly large, or being a bit linear.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I was planning on skipping it because I feel so burnt out on Zelda games, but the enthusiasm displayed in that review has me questioning my resolve. I'm still pretty sure I won't like it, but I'm worried that if I hear enough people raving about it I'll end up caving and buying it anyway, just like when Twilight Princess was released.

Although, technically I bought Twilight Princess as a Christmas present for my sister and.. goddammit.. Yes, I'll be picking up the latest Zelda game again this year. Stupid Nintendo.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:58 AM   #5
crackajack
32-bit Poster

My Zelda love died after Ocarina of Time.
Rescuing Peach again and again is ok for its genre but once i sniffed the air of Gothic and later Vampire Bloodlines, i can't rescue Princess Zelda again. Unless it's completely revamped, or gets a sort of dark fantasy spin off.

No matter how good those Zeldas actually are and how much other slightly similar games would benefit from following similar formulas.

I doubt i would like the real sword swinging. The wii proved already that a workout is only fun in sports games.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I don't own a Wii. I don't want to get a Wii just for this game because I was already disappointed by Zelda for the DS (which, apart from Layton, was my prime reason to get a DS).
Old 11-17-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
gamevet

I'll buy Skyward Sword, when I can buy a Wii for $50.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #8
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

I was at Best Buy today and picked up the collector's edition with the gold wii-mote. About ten minutes after I bought my copy I went back into Best BUy as my wife was trying on clothes in the store next door and one guy was buying up every copy of the collector's edition.

So glad I got there when I did. The Best Buy manager went up to the sales person and said that they were only suppose to sell 1 per customer. It is already selling for over $100 on Amazon.

I went to a Target after and they were out too. Probably the same guy buying them up to resell online during the holidays.

I haven't had a chance to play it. Game Informer gave it a 10 too. Hopefully I can play it tonight.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #9
QXZ
They hit me with a truck

Send a message via AIM to QXZ Send a message via Yahoo to QXZ

I actually slapped down money for a copy of Skyward Sword at a local GameStop a couple weeks before Thanksgiving. I was actually trying to get a jump on Christmas shopping, since I purchased it specifically as a gift for my brother, who has been a Zelda fan since Ocarina of Time.

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
-- Adam Savage of
Mythbusters

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.co.../GreenPuyo.png
QXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #10
Kin Korn Karn

Has anyone played it yet? My copy (collector's edition) is staring me in the face next to my Wii... as I wander around Skyrim, picking locks and hacking dragons.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:07 AM   #11
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I'm not getting on with this game at all. Three hours in, and it's essentially been one big cutscene with me holding down A to hurry the dialogue along. I don't know if I even have the will to turn it on again and see if it gets better.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #12
Kin Korn Karn

Are you sure you aren't playing the latest FF game?
Old 12-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #13
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Skyward Sword has been pretty good, but it doesn't call to me like Dark Souls does. I can probably put it down and start one of my many other games I have to play... Or go back to Dark Souls.

It is not bad at all. Except that there is too much unnecessary talking. Especially in the beginning. It takes 2 hours just to get into the game. The flying is weird too, but I haven't had to do that much of it.

So far Skyward Sword is probably a 7 on a GameCritics.com scale. It is good, but not blowing me a way either.

On a side note my wife, who knows nothing of games, said "why aren't they speaking. This game is so cheap." I just told her it is a Nintendo game.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #14
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I really liked Twilight Princess and want to like this game but the pacing is way off.

Everything is over-explained and seemingly pitched at the most simple level possible - for example you have to track Zelda using 'dowsing' (hold C), and after that is explained, and you follow Zelda, you then have to locate three more things using the dowsing method.

I'm in Faron Woods now and have been given a bit of freedom (the above fetch quest), so I'm expecting things to pick up. However it has been a bit excruciating so far.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #15
Aled Morgan
New Poster

I've written a review of Skyward Sword, so I don't want to dwell too much on my own thoughts lest this post turn into a 1,600 essay, but here's my quick thoughts.

The motion controls actually elevate the game in a way that traditional controls can't, though I'm mostly talking about the swordplay here. Flying, swimming, bomb rolling (in particular...), and most other functions are only using motion controls for the sake of it. Sword-play, however, actually uses them to do more than merely replace traditional controls.

Some of the bosses were fantastic, hard-fought fights because they demanded skilful use of the controls. I found any fight where it was down to my sword-play vs. their sword-play very, very intense in a way traditional controls wouldn't really allow. I was sat down, using small wrist movements, and it still felt like I was the one doing the fighting.

I know a lot of people have had awful experiences with the controls. Apart from the odd niggling trouble (again, bomb rolling...) I found them fine. Perhaps it's worth pointing out that pressing down on the d-pad instantly recalibrates the motion plus when you're aiming. I know the Gamespot reviewer seemed to have completely ignored that fact, which I presume led to his complaints about the control.

I was also initially put off by the drawn in scope of Skyward Sword. Just three explorative areas? I was disappointed. However I think Nintendo did an excellent job of mixing things up. Skyward Sword is an incredibly concise Zelda.

Was it perfect? No, but you should never construe a 10/10 review as saying the game is perfect. It merely means the game carries the reviewers highest recommendations. Overall I have to say I was very pleased with Skyward Sword despite my initial misgivings about the controls.

Skyward Sword certainly has

Also, I disagree with complaints about voice acting. Zelda games have always, to me, been like childhood fairy-tales that you play and I think voice acting would have taken away from that a little.

...this was longer than I had intended. Also, hello there Game Critics - this is my first post.
Aled Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote