About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 12-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #1906
joetbd
32-bit Poster

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Just beat Saints Row 3.
And its my favorite game of the year.

The only real thing I think it is missing: is some sort of real interaction with the buildings.

It suffers from the same old GTA problem. The buildings are simply giant rectangles that you drive around, and nothing more.

While I do love this game (much more than SR2) I think they really need to make the environment interactive. Like Just Cause, The Saboteur, Red Faction Gurilla, Assassins Creed, Spiderman 2, the hulk, infamous, prototype, ect...

I want to blow up the buildings, or climb them, or go inside them, ... something... anything.

Im really tired of these city based games, where the environment is nothing more than several big non-interactive rectangles painted to look like buildings.

But like I said, I like this game. Its a big technical leap forward, from SR2. The mini-games have much more polish, and everything looks much better.
joetbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #1907
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Beat Catherine earlier today. Turned out better than I thought at first, though the cutscenes were still too long at points. Considering going back for one more ending, but not sure if it's really worth it for me.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #1908
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Tidalis
The play field consists of colored blocks with arrows on them. You can change their direction by right clicking and "drawing" a direction. And with left click you start a stream. Which should then hit at least three of the same color. The basics are simple but with a ton of modifiers every level of the 115 played quite differently.
Create combos, create no combos, get negative points, just survive, move metal cages to the bottom, destroy wooden boxes and so on.
It's one of the puzzle games were no matter what the player does it may end in failure. At least it appears that way. Randomized blocks at the beginning were you can't do anything at some point later are just bad luck and you have to restart, but if it's running it's fun.
Worst, although skip-able, part of the game was that the adventure mode had something like a story in it. It redefines bla-bla. I did not read everything but here and there a line and the final sequence. I guess even the never ending sameness of Morrowinds dialogs compressed into a ~15-20 hour game was better. A puzzle game without story is alright but a terrible story is a terrible story. Why even do it?

Btw Cheap on steam right now.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #1909
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Couldn't help noticing the game got increasingly saturated by this overblown, cloying, operatic silliness by the end. Must games touch on the nerve of current politics? I never beat Deus Ex, I did play Invisible War through a few times, and that game definitely had some warmth and humor that's really lacking in HR.

Also I thought the skill trees seemed to come in 3 flavors... Metal Gear, Rainbow Six, or Deus Ex.

I suppose the stealth options may have been more fun if I wanted to go and take 30 hours to play through tactically taking down each guy, but - that's not why you play a Deus Ex game, you play a Deus Ex game to get buried in a pile of conspiracy theory references... which were again, sadly lacking, here.

Not a bad game, but goddammit! SquareEnix! WTF! I mean, Fuck off, already. Before you ruin another franchise, just fuck off.

And enough with the giant collars on the bad guys like it's a high school play of Dracula. FOR Fuck sake, enough!!
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #1910
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Couldn't help noticing the game got increasingly saturated by this overblown, cloying, operatic silliness by the end. Must games touch on the nerve of current politics?
Do you mean they should touch on current politics or they shouldn't? Offhand, I would guess that unlike movies, games can't/don't reflect the political reality that prevails when they're made? I can think of Fate of the World (eco catastrophe) and that one where you have to live on a certain (low) budget per month, but they're not really 'political'..?

Quote:
And enough with the giant collars on the bad guys like it's a high school play of Dracula. FOR Fuck sake, enough!!
lol
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:55 AM   #1911
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

what I mean is it's off-putting to have this pandering moralism, injecting a note of personal responsibility for the world being the way it is to the gamer. A game doesn't need to break the fourth wall to remind me that we live in tumultuous times, and I find the need to do so just reflects weak writing.

DX:HR had a weak-ass ending.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:42 AM   #1912
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Ah, ok. I haven't actually played it, so don't know how that stacks up. I thought it might refer to some Tea Party-ish antics, the polarisation of politics, or something along those lines.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #1913
RandomRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Ah, ok. I haven't actually played it, so don't know how that stacks up. I thought it might refer to some Tea Party-ish antics, the polarisation of politics, or something along those lines.
any of that would've made the story interesting.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:48 PM   #1914
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Somehow played through all of Battlefield 3's single player campaign. Probably the most forgettable game I have ever played.

Going to try to finish Uncharted 2 tonight. Really liking it.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #1915
RandomRob

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney -

better late than never. Absolutely loved it. That last case was a showstopper. In fact, maybe one of the best videogame endings, ever.
Would love to try the direct sequels, but damn theyre expensive..

Jurassic Park: the Game -

agree with Daniel Weissenberger, it's a much better game than the shitty reviews gave it credit for. I enjoyed it. Would definitely recommend it for 10$ or under.

Last edited by RandomRob; 01-05-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #1916
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Finally finished Dead Space 2 today.

It was a good game, nice variation on the normal corridor shooter and some good zero-G interludes. I found it a little long for my liking (half the running time would have suited me) and the final two levels were infuriating.

The penultimate level I had to go back three save points (not checkpoints, save points) so that I could stock up on the items needed to get through the level, and I made the same mistake on the last level (I turned it down to Easy for the final boss fight because I just could not be arsed going back at that point).

But not to be overly negative - it was a pretty good game and was well polished and had some really fun sequences. Implied in the ending is that we'll be doing this many, many more times. I don't know if they'll be able to sustain many more sequels without it getting stale though.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #1917
crackajack
32-bit Poster

vvvvvv
The retro music was fine but the rest underwhelming.
Pretty short game with terrible controls. I have yet to check it on another computer but movement felt gruesomely laggy, while jumping i.e. flipping worked fine.
It has some interesting level passages but overall it's lacking content. Super Meat Boy gave pretty much the same amount of fun just with its 5 superhard free xmas levels. So buying vvvvvv was a waste of (little) money and time i'd better spent with better games.

Clickr
The difficulty seems super hard at beginning but with practice comes success to some extent. Still i'm pretty undecided if luck is a too big factor since at the Extreme or Hell difficulties i most of the time lose within 40 sec and occasionally survive 2 or 3 minutes. While it should and definitely is possible to win within the same time period. (local No. 1 ranking demands that and some people already did that)
And i'm already within Top20 worldwide in all its modes and have no idea what i can do better. That seems a little weird after 50+ hours. Would be a little late to finally reach a higher level of mastership when having "trained" already so long.
IQ-mode is my favorite part and this alone (kind of just a quarter of the game) is making it a brilliant game. Let's see if i can get myself up the throne in this mode. Just 100k points away and seems possible to do. Edit: done /e

Don't let the existing flash demo fool you into believing it is showing you Clickr. That's only a portion of another quarter and imo the part which shows the most that luck is present. A "bonus time" autoplay end which creates more points than you can possibly do yourself before no matter you do. Bad idea to make that part the demo of the game.

Last edited by crackajack; 01-09-2012 at 01:49 PM.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #1918
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing (360) - 100% Achievements
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #1919
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Just finished Resistance 3, which I bought on the strength of Matt Kaplan's review.

It was okay; I wouldn't disagree with anything said in the review, but at the same time you could see it as a fairly standard shooter. I'm not a huge fan of shooters anyway, and it was the second game in a row (after Dead Space 2) that I was thinking, "When is this fucking thing going to end?"

It's available new for 20 bucks/euros now, so worth a punt if you're into the genre, I'd say.

EDIT: In fairness to the game, the setting and atmosphere - a kind of post apocalyptic America where people were dispersed in small communities and surviving by pulling together and by relying on family, faith etc - was reminescent of The Road and was really, really well done.

Last edited by Pedro; 01-22-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #1920
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Just finished the Witcher 2. The credits roll as I write this. I found the Assassin of Kings. minor spoiler ahead I had vodka with him, heard his story. Then I let him go. I am tired of fighting.